Kc/dc [R] postgame thoughts

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by KCWizFan#3, Nov 14, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that handball had even gotten a yellow, that would be a bad call.

2. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Hmm. Well. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I personally thought your team, showed very little class. The delaying tactics were beyond just trying to win, it was pathetic. I was expecting the ball boys to stop throwing us the ball pretty soon - aka US-Panama. I know we played like crap, and that's the main reason we lost, but your team is going to be easy to hate next season.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if we move to the East like it looks like we will, we'll have 4 chances to hate them next season.

4. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    Got home at 1:15 this morning because of a flight delay.

Tried to sleep on the plane . . . couldn't. Woke up in the middle of the night because of DC's second goal. They never showed in on the big screen . . . never knew there was a hand involved. All the talk about whether it was a handball or not is irrelevant. It was a rookie mistake. I couldn't remember the last time our solid-as-a-rock back 4 made such a crappy turnover. It happened right in front of us - it's seared into my cornea . . .

Anyway, other than the loss, it was a great time. It was my first time in the Cauldron and it was a blast. I was absolutely HYSTERICAL after that first early strike. But after watching almost 40 minutes of Bunker Ball despite being DOWN one goal AND UP one man, I was despondent.

Oh well, such is life. Great season! Ready for next year already!

Big props to everyone who was at the HDC.

Anyone know if the Satterley Family got on TV? They got like a 5 minute interview in the stands before the game!

5. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    My condolences to you guys. Most Rapids fans were rooting for you guys because we're so sick of seeing D.C. United with their trophies. Their team will be disbanded this offseason so don't worry about them repeating. How can you have someone on your books for $500K that doesn't even start? Adu needs to bow down.

6. amcwiz5

amcwiz5 New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Tucson/Overland Park
    I went to the game in LA this weekend and over all I had a great time. Granted I am very upset that we lost, but I love that our boys didn't just roll over and give up! They fought till the very end. Thanks to the Wizards for a great year and I can't wait for next season!!!

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    He isn't.

Thanks Project 40! :)

8. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

I really wouldn't call losing two veteran players to their European homes "disbanded" but hey....you call it how you see it right?

9. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Then you're absolutely nuts as far as I'm concerned. Esky made a hustle play, was it a hand ball? Yeah, probably should have been called, and it wasn't and he took advantage of hustle and playing smart to get the 2-1 lead. Don't even try to sell me for a second on the idea that KC wouldn't have tried the same given the same opportunity. Heck, Wolf took a dive rather than press the attack on one of the few chances you had. As for the hand ball by Dema, not classy, but far from the first time that's happened, and considering the pace of the shot, it's not entirely a certainty that it was deliberate though the red and PK were deserved.

As for the time wasting, give me a break. What did USA do against Portugal and Mexico with 3-2 and 2-0 leads? It's called playing smart, particularly when you're down a man. This whole classlessness argument is utter b.s. and beneath you and the great squad you had all year. You made it to the final without two of your best three players. That's a tribute to the team and the coaching staff. Take pride in that, and leave the class arguments out of it because they have no relevance here, period. Don't let the loss effect your own ability to interpret the difference between reality and fantasy.

10. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Yes, please leave class out of it as the archtypical dc fan would not be able to participate in the discussion. :rolleyes:

11. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dave, I am tempted to give you neg rep, but I won't this time.

I met tons of DC fans at the HDC yesterday. Surprising as it may be to you, they are a good group with a lot of class.

I know you have a personal beef with DC, it's time to drop your vendetta or at least keep it in rivalries.

12. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I really have a hard time understanding where this baloney comes from, although admittedly I'm a DC fan based in California and so have never attended a game at RFK (only at San Jose's unfortunate stadium), so I can't speak to any of their behavior at RFK. However my experience with my fellow DC fans on the boards has not been one of embarrasment or disgust, I find the majority knowledgable, and warm and fun. I find very few trolls or jerks. Maybe I miss out on what they post on opponents boards as I tend to only read the Metro's and San Jose boards with any sort of consistency. However I doubt it, I get the feeling you've got an axe to grind, and reason will just not enter your discussion, so be it. Good luck next year, a healthy Kansas City team will be a sight to behold next year, DC may have problems if we lose Nelson in addition to Stewart. We'll see. Good luck, and congrats on the great season.

13. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    I think that most of the KC fans are still bumed out. DC fans coming into our boards and discussing what the KC fans have been discussing is felt as a major intrussion. Read our posts, give your congratulations and move back to your threads and be happy. The constant exchange right now on how both sides viewed the game is getting nowhere. Right now it's best to agree to disagree on the handball no call and other questionable calls/no-calls. Congratulations to DC and we'll see you next year.

14. PhatZin

PhatZin New Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Prairie Village, KS
    Did anyone go to the "Welcome Home" gathering at Arrowhead tonight? I'd love to hear the details.....

15. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Thought it was a hand ball. I don't disagree there, the only thing I do disagree with is whether it was deliberate or not (I dont think it was), but it doesnt matter in my view, should have been called and it wasn't. Happens a lot in soccer. Just ask Italy, they'll talk to you for hours about it. Dont know about other questionable calls. Can't remember any really bad ones. As for coming in here and being a major intrusion. I only agree when it's arse clowns rubbing sh!t in, or behaving like swine, boards/forums to me are like houses, if it isn't yours, one should behave as a guest and with civility. I believe I've done that, if not, I apologize. Anyway, good luck next year and congrats on such an excellent season.

16. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just got home and (finally) saw the hand. In typical MLS fashion, since it might have been controversial, there was no replay at the HDC. If they would have shown the angle they showed on CBS, the place would have gone nuts! I know I would have officially been banned from yet another venue.

It's time SOMEthing was done about this Kennedy clown. MLS CANNOT rely on a referee who is two feet shorter than the players. His little legs can't carry him as fast as the grown ups on the field (Wynalda - "the referee is 40, 45 yards away), and since his eyes are only nut-high, he misses all the waist-up fouls.

And since WIZARDGIRL3 hasen't chimed in here yet...I'll go ahead and say it. The Wizards were not going to win that game. The MLS brass said before the playoffs that they wanted one of the 'big' teams to win the Cup. Well, you can't get much bigger that the attendance magnet Adu. So D.C. makes it to the Cup. But how do you give them a little edge?? Paint the ENTIRE place red and black. From the CBS Sports banners to the stage the halftime band played on to the cheerleaders to the freakin thunder sticks they handed out!! That place was a SEA of red and black - even without the D.C. fans.

17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, it was produced by abc, not cbs, whose colors are black and red. it's been that way as long as i can remember. unfortunate coincidence, it seems.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rule specifically uses the word "deliberate." If you don't think it was deliberate, you can't also think it should have been called.

19. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Right, sorry. Speaking of that, the Nielsen Rating are out for Sunday. Want to get even more depressed...? More people in this hillbilly, booger-eating, backwater cowtown watched golf, college football and of course NASCAR, than watched the Wizards. EIGHTH place for the final!! As a potential silver lining, a LOT of people who would have watched on t.v. were actually in L.A.! Great crowd, and it was really awesome to see most of the two or three sections next to the 'Cauldron' actually stand up in the latter minutes of the match when we chanted "Stand up, for the K.C. Wiz!"!!

20. bladius

bladius New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Lawrence
    No. An unintentional handball is still a foul. The only difference between a deliberate and a non-deliberate handball is the first gets a yellow card while the second does not. The rule uses the word 'deliberate' when discussing cards and handballs in the box. Outside the penalty area it just doesn't matter.

21. bladius

bladius New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Lawrence
    Radioshack's colors (the halftime sponsor) also appear to be red and black. Nonetheless, I doubt we can chalk all this up to a coincidence.

Thinking back to previous cups I've watched and been to, I don't remember them being decked out in ABC's or the sponsor's colors. The fact that the halftime show dancers were dressed in red and black is, in my mind, particularly telling. Halftime shows are generally bright, colorful and gaudy affairs. One typically expects to see a kaleidoscope of colors. Sunday it was red and black only. Can it really be just a coincidence that this particular cup happened to break from the norm and decorate everything in two rather drab colors that just happened to be the team colors of the 'bigger' and 'more popular' club which also happens to have the league’s new poster boy on it? Jimmy Conrad certainly indicated he didn't think it was a coincidence last night.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Would you still be going on about all the red and black had New England won the PK shootout last week?

I'm sorry, but all the bangers and shirts by the halftime dancers probably weren't all printed up and shipped just this week.

It sucks that everything was red and black, but then those are the current colors that Radio Shack uses for its own branding.

23. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I understand that, the difference is that this isn't the way hand balls are normally called, not in my experience of watching and playing anyway. Normally anytime the ref is in position to make the call and a player gains an advantage through a hand ball, they blow the whistle, period, whether it was intentional or not. I know this isn't the way the rule books read it, but it's kind of like "Holding" in the NFL, as lineman like to say, Holding happens on every play it's just that the refs decide when to call it and when not too. I believe MLS refs behave the same way in terms of hand balls, the specificity of the rules are used to determine if a call is made sometimes, but I think they rely on common usage far more often (calling any handball in the box which gives a strong advantage to the attacking or defending team regardless of intent, calling handball on the goal line regardless of intent etc).

This is of course my view, and based on my experience, you could disregard it as entirely b.s., but I think it's naive to think that refs follow the rule book strictly, I have never seen that in any sport, most especially soccer (particularly in regards to diving and in regards to certain calls that refs continually make to even out bad calls in big games), I believe common usage tends to be the stand by method in conjunction with the rule book.

All this being said, it didnt surprise me that it wasn't called, because it didnt appear that the ref or linesman were quick enough to see what had happened because the play developed against type, and expectation (like Donovans cross that made it 2-0 against Portugal two years ago).

Anyway feel free to dismiss, as need be, but I definitely believe that the rule book doesnt and never has defined when a hand ball is called and when it isn't, heck there were a minimum of three blown hand ball calls in the rup up to and the world cup itself for the US in the 2000-2002 time period(away at Costa Rica (or was it Guatemala?), against Mexico in the Round of 16, and against Germany in the QF's all of which were the deciding factors in terms of scoreline in no small part because they occured in the second half of close games.

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm gonna disagree with this, because it doesn't strike me as true once you think about it from the other angle. If the ball is in midfield bouncing around and there was a striking of the ball with the arm, it seems no less likely to be called, even if it didn't appear to bounce to the offensive player.

I think the main thing refs do is look at the movement of the arm and the flight path of the ball. If a player's arm appears to be moving towards the flight path, it almost always gets called, wherever and whatever advantage gained. If it appears to be still or trying to pull away, it's much less likely.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are wrong.
    Don't believe me? Fine. Go to the referees forum. Ask there. They won't mock you.