KC @ DC post game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Spoon, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Yes.

Bo starting has nothing to do with the league being "watered down." It has everything to do with him being better than Tony Meola at this point, and a much cheaper option to boot.

Now if you'll compare Johnny Walker and Tony Meola, you'll find that the Metros didn't want to keep Walker (basically traded him for a loaf of bread and a bag of chips), but were willing to take Meola's high contract.

I agree there. I think there were other reasons KZ didn't get called up. But the fact of the matter is, JOB is there, KZ isn't. And KZ is really disappointed, he wanted to be there.

2. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Also just because a player has been called up to the national team doesn't make him a great player.

3. KCFC

KCFC New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Merriam, Kansas
    Oh to be as "dumb" as Johnny Walker and be a consistent starter in the MLS for years and years with occasional national team call ups.

It's strange to me that you all are in love with Bo but not KZ. KZ is 10 times the player Bo will ever be. He is the guy you should standing up for, not some below average goalkeeper. In the end, I want the Wizards to be a better team and MLS champion, therefore, I realize that some positions on our team need to be upgraded to be a better team, and I want to put the best soccer on the field as possible.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You do realize Bo was a starter when MLS started right? With the Crew. And he has been a starter for the last season and a half. Other then Meola's salary, a main reason we didn't re-sign Meola, is because Bo was playing just as good if not better then Tony was. It's not that we are in love with Bo more then Kerry, most people in here love Kerry, but you come in here attacking our goalie who you say is below average when his stats from last year and this year speak more to the opposite.

You say you want the Wizards to win MLS Cup, well we made it to MLS Cup last season with Bo in net for the majority of the end of the season and playoff run, playing well there and helping us get into the final. And the goals that DC did score against us in MLS Cup, I don't think they were even Bo's fault. So I personally think with the personal that we have we could win MLS Cup, I mean any team can if they get hot at the right time.

5. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    I assume by "consistent starter in the MLS for years and years" you mean "Guy who's been in the league for less than two full seasons, has only played 44 career games, and this season found himself backing up Zach Wells." :rolleyes:

LOL... anybody who knows me (and most of the people here on BigSoccer do) knows that I'm a huge KZ fan - probably one of the biggest ones out there. I actually own a KZ national team jersey... how many other people can say that? I also recognized when he was playing absolutely horribly for much of the beginning of this season... until he came back from national team camp. But even then I defended KZ saying he'd get back on his game. I'm just saying that when everyone is healthy he's probably not our best option at d-mid on the national team level.

It's strange to me that you have such a dislike for a goalkeeper who's tied for second in the league in shutouts, is 4th in goals against average, and has yet to do anything that even came close to costing us a game.

6. KCFC

KCFC New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Merriam, Kansas
    Bo was a starter with the Crew briefly, then became a backup for 8 years, 8 years. He has only been a starter for maybe a year, but I don't even think that long, no season and a half though. If Meola would not have been hurt, we may never have even seen Bo play. Regardless,

As far as me "coming in here attacking our goalie", I've been a Wiz fan since day 1, and he is my goalie too. My original post was because I wish we would have picked up Johnny Walker. Players get replaced all the time...that's sports. I was lamenting the fact that we didn't get Johnny Walker (just like I lamented the fact that we drafted Matt McKeon over Eddie Pope). Regardless of whether or not you agree with that, as a Wiz fan, that is my knowledgeable soccer opinion.

7. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bo was backup to Brad Friedel then was back up to Meola. It's not like he's been behind ************ keepers.

8. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Bo was the future of US goalkeeping for a few weeks early in the 96 season (seriously... people thought he was the next big thing.) Then Friedel came in. He went down to the A-league where he started. So no, he wasn't a "backup for 8 years."

Nobody said you "attacked" our goalie. I simply mirrored your statement about it being "strange" that we weren't defending KZ so much.

If by "knowledgeable" you mean "thought Johnny Walker was a 'consistent starter in the MLS for years and years' when in reality he's been in the league for less than 2 full seasons, and spent much of that injured or backing up Zach Wells... plus I refer to the league as 'The MLS'," then yes, it's your "knowledgeable soccer opinion." :rolleyes:

9. hartley

hartley Member

But he does have the players to play a more attractive and attacking style. He just doesn't combine them all.

Here's a very attacking and ball handling 4-4-2 with players he is/was playing at some time this year:
    ---------------- Bo ---------------
    Zotinca - Garcia - Conrad - Gutierrez
    ------------ Zavagnin -------------
    Klein --------------------- Jewsbury
    ------------ Victorine -------------
    Wolff ---------------------- Arnaud

Or how about this 4-3-3 that Bob could put out:
    ---------------- Bo ---------------
    Garcia - Thomas - Conrad - Burciaga
    Klein ------ Zavagnin ----- Jewsbury
    Wolff --------- Sealy ------- Arnaud

Those could be some really attacking and entertaining teams. I for one would love to see that 4-4-2.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Chad said, Bo wasn't a back up for 8 years, after Friedel was signed by the Crew and Bo realized he probably wouldn't take his place, he realized if he wanted to continue playing soccer he should probably move a division down. He probably got paid a little better down in the A League as a starter then he would have made warming the bench in MLS. Then he was signed by the Wizards about halfway through the 2000 season, probably as insurance for Meola who, though he was playing well, was coming off a serious injury at the time. So he was brought in in case Meola went down again. Bo minded his time on the bench for a few seasons and then last season got his big chance and grabbed it. So no Bo was not a back up for 8 years.

11. pblake

pblake New Member

Jun 11, 2000
    KC
    kcfc, welcome to bigsoccer. my advice is don't back down from these guys. i don't want to hear any more stats about why bo is a good keeper. or how he was a starter in '96 when scrubs like Scott Uderitz were starting in an upstart league. kcfc may not research all his stats and have every game memorized to know that bo had an assist in some game. big deal. his point is that bo has about 10 moments per game when we're all nervous because he doesn't make the right play. WAY too many for a keeper. this is why people think bo sucks.

you're lying to yourself if you think bo is better on the field than tony. tony's gone because he and bob have ego problems, and they clashed. bo is a career backup for a reason. over the years, tons of coaches and GM's have obviously agreed - he's a backup in this league. all of a sudden in 2005 some short, fat guy is an above average mls keeper? you're all fooling yourselves. he has a minimum of 10 plays per game that are majorly nervous moments.

kcfc, stay strong. keep eating your vitamins and saying your prayers little hulkster - you can fight off all the jason whitlock, errrr bo supporters. seriously, if i remember right the game day roster has him listed at a generous 6' & 210 lbs. my guess is closer to 5'9" and 500 lbs. - have you seen his butt? not that i'm shocked the pr dept published that, my point is short, fat guys aren't good goalkeepers (insert nick romando joke here if you please). i'm not going to take the time to walk play by play through the whole season on each play bo failed to make, because it gives me an ulcer just thinking about it. note to chet north, give that guy some prunes and water to fill him up instead of the third box of twinkies.

go wiz.

12. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Seriously... no it doesn't.

1) The "gameday roster" doesn't list heights and weights, just names, numbers and positions.
    2) The "Game Notes" which DO list heights and weights have him listed at 6'1, 190.
    3) I know the stats and things like that because it's my job to know those things... not to mention I'm a fan, and I like knowing them.

I only quoted part of your message, because it pretty much sums up how bad the whole thing was.

Thanks for coming in and talking out of your аss though... it was at the very least mildly entertaining.

13. pblake

pblake New Member

Jun 11, 2000
    KC
    sorry, i was editing my post and didn't realize you replied already. my current guess was 6' & 210, but apparently our local statistician has it nailed at 6'1" and 190. fine with me. all i know is i'm 6'1" and i tower over bo. and since i guessed 500 lbs, then apprently you win that argument too because he "allegedly" weighs 190. unfortunately, you've missed my entire point as you are lost in the details of the stats. my point is that he's short and fat, not that my memory is perfect as to what whitlock's measurements are.

14. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    :rolleyes:

And it does a whole lot for your credibility when you edit your post because somebody corrected you and made you look like a fool. Especially when the original post is quoted in their reply.

15. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    No I'm not. Bo's stats last year were MUCH better than Tony's. Tony is getting old and slow.

No, Tony is gone because he wants too much money and he's past his prime. Hence why it took him so long to find a job. Nobody (except his old buddy 'Lexi) wants to pay an aging backup goalkeeper that much.
    And because he and Bob have ego problems that clashed.

16. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony's gone because he wanted the league max coming off of an injury and no one was sure if he was going to be able to perform or not. Would you give the league max to a guy if you weren't sure he was going to be able to come back and play?

For all you know he could have been a solid keeper for the past few years not just all the sudden in 2005 but he's been behind one of if not the best keeper in MLS history. Before Tony he was Brad Friedel as has been pointed out a couple of times in this thread.

17. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn Merlin beat me to it. I should have known he would have it covered.

18. pblake

pblake New Member

Jun 11, 2000
    KC
    i'm sorry, you must have forgot to reply to my point of the whole post. i'll state it again. bo has about 10 moments per game where we all hold our breath, which is unacceptable for a keeper. please reply with your killer stats and other unhelpful insights.

19. pblake

pblake New Member

Jun 11, 2000
    KC
    i could care less if my memory comes through for me when trying to remember how short or fat whitlock is. if your identity is based on getting "rep" from other bigsoccer losers who enjoy the fact that you know how short and fat the PR department claims whitlock is, then you keep right on truckin down that road to the big soccer hall of fame where all the internerds tell each other their opinions are valid.

20. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    1.24 goals against average (tied for 4th in the league)
    6 shutouts (tied for 2nd in the league)

But yeah.. those "10 moments" per game where he has you scared are worth getting rid of him... because the fact that he's getting the job done (and doing it better than the majority of the other keepers in the league) is much less important than you being nervous about his play.

I'll take results any day.

21. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'll take this to mean that you are waving the white flag.

22. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    In your original post you played it off like you knew the number. You claimed it as fact that he was listed at 5'10".

Now you try to criticize me for having a media guide and game notes (you know, being able to actually look up the real numbers - what a novel idea :rolleyes: ), and "could care less if your memory comes through..."

And where did your little "rep" tyrade come from? Running out of other things to argue because you keep looking more and more asinine?

I'm done with you. Your act got tired here a few years back and you ran off to other forums... please go back.

23. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Tony is better than Bo. He is not however 200,000 dollars better than Bo. My opinion. Bo is shaky still at his best.

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not meaning to interject here, but why do so many people say this? i know this is a fairly common mistake, and i'm not doing this to make fun of you pblake (i've been known to use this phrase by accident as well). i just wanna know who the first person was to forget to use the word "not" and think that the phrase means the same thing. it had to be someone held in high regard because it caught on like wildfire.

ok, sorry, back to your bickering.

25. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Again....

pblake and Merlin72: cool it!

Chad, this is becoming a trend with you. ;)