KC @ DC post game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Spoon, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done Wiz.

Now Bo you really need some help. How do you yet that ball get past your big ass and let it hit the post?

Post game banter here.

2. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wizards/that dc team postgame (R)

Andy, were you at the game?

3. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Re: Wizards/that dc team postgame (R)

Andy was covering the Gold Cup.

All together now: "Thank you Andy Mead!"

:D

4. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Re: First time since 96 [r] DC post game

He was screened by about 4 people who were between him and the header, and had a defender who jumped like he was going to get in front of it - only to pull back at the last second.

That being said, why the hell are we criticizing our goalkeeper in the first post of a post-match thread about a game where he got a clean sheet? :confused:

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

I love threads were people put an [R] with a phrase that makes it obvious what happened. :D

I didn't tape the game or anything, but it's just funny.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Like was said in the in game thread, Nick and Sasha co-men of the match. Both played very well, Nick with some key tackles in the back, and Sasha with the goal and that goalline save.

First half was played very well by both, second half we really slowed down and had some poor distribution in the back that had me worried. I am very happy with the result very good result away from home, now let's continue this next week against RSL.

7. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well he looked confused\unsure of himself all day on setpieces. He always looks that way and Chad we got lucky DC doesn't know how to put shots on target.

Nicks tackle in the first half on Dema was money. Davy needs to stop whinning so much, he is starting to remind me of Madison. Oh maybe more passing from him as well. He makes those driving runs to with the ball to open the defense but forgets to pass to the wide open player. My glass is half full.

8. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because we knew you would jump to his defense... :D

Seriously, though. Bo did exactly what he should have done. He had the post covered, but couldn't necessarily make the clean save. So instead of touching it out for another corner kick, or bobbling it up to that crowd, he let it run free.

9. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Re: Its about time [R] DC post game

Spoon, he may have looked shaky on set-pieces all game, but it didn't cost us (and honestly hasn't cost us all season.) Whether it looks shaky or not, it's getting the job done.

Goalkeeper is the one position on the field where you're not allowed to make mistakes. Anybody else can ********** up, and it won't directly cause a goal. If the goalkeeper makes a blunder, 9 times out of 10, it immediately results in a goal. That's an undue amount of pressure to put on anyone. So I just don't agree with criticizing a keeper who doesn't make a mistake. The way I see it, the ball didn't go in the net today, so the keeper is pretty much perfect. Any minor mistake he may have made (and I contend that he didn't on the ball off the post), didn't result in a goal, and didn't cost us the game... so he gets a free ride in my book.

10. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

DC as well as Wizards haters will try to say that DC created all the chances, but KC had their chances as well. The problem is these chances bogged down because of poor touches from our attacking players. Rimando was able to claim too many balls due to a heavy touch, and we also let DC get back in numbers on too many potential breaks.

Normally I'm not thrilled with a 3-5-2 with this club, but I think its a good idea against DC.

I could have done without the ESPN2 people constantly talking about Moreno being out. Last I checked, we were without two first team players.

11. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I like Victorine in an attacking midfield position. I know he's touted for his versatility, but offense seems to be his forte.

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Nope, the jinx is officially over.

Andy was indeed in attendance today.

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Andy, if you were there I apologize. :D

LONG BALLS DON'T WORK!!!!!!!
    I wish Bob would do something about the large amount of long balls our defenders are playing. It's not just Jose anymore, it's all of them. And it just doesn't work.

Sasha is MOTM, by far. Scored the goal and saved a goal.

Bo needs to stick to throwing the ball instead of kicking it.

Shavar got schooled by Adu, showed his lack of speed. I was sure that 3 in the back would be our doom, but we held on.

Great win. This could be the beginning of something great.

14. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Andy if you were in fact present, then I too apologize.

Maybe it's a sign that you're our new good luck charm on the road. :)

15. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It took a little more time than I expected, but the DC idiots finally have resorted to sour grapes. It really amazes me how it pains them so much to lose to Kansas City. Their obsession is really amusing.

16. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    I'm just waiting until one of them tries to blame the crappy pitch on our "boring/negative soccer." :rolleyes:

:D

17. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, apparently we played negative soccer and bunkered. The only bunkering I saw was that we bunkered down pretty well in DC's half of the field.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was in the same mindset Ben, when I saw the 3 man back with Shavar as a wing back I was like oh God here it comes. Especially after Adu schooled him the first time. But he got plenty of support from Nick, Klein, and Jewsbury when Klein switched sides, and it worked.

Do we stick with the 3 man back now? Do we send Shavar back to the bench and move Nick outside when Jimmy comes back to keep the 3 man back? And what has Zotinca done to not even earn himself a spot on the bench?

19. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome Victorine goal. A lot like some I saw him score against the Wiz with the Galactics.

20. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    One more thing, Piotr Nowak has taught me is that apparently short sleeve shirts with adidas embroidering on the back are available.

21. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    This is the first time I've watched a game where we've won since the Western Conference Finals! Yeah, the national tv curse and D.c> curse are both over! In my opinion Bo is the MOTM, but everyone else says Sasha. Whatever! Personally I thought Sasha was invisible until the end of the match, and I didn't see his block either. Also Shavar shoulda played in the middle, not Garcia. Shavar got taken to school by Adu! He's too slo to ever play anywhere but center back. Garcia was also great. Arnaud wasn't bad either. Zavagnin and Gutierrez were both solid. Brian Roberts also held the ball well in the end. I'm happy!

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sorry, Bo didn't do anything to in my opinion to warrent a MOTM honor. The only big save he made all day was on the deflection off of Garcia's foot, other then that he didn't do a whole lot. I mean When Adu schooled Shavar, he shot it right into Bo's chest, same with most of the shots that DC did put on goal were right at him. Also one thing that I saw on replays was when Dema came in and Nick made the sliding tackle, Bo had already fallen on his butt.

Victorine was all over the field during the game, and was one of the more consistent players. I also thought that Garcia had a better game then Bo, in about a 4 minute span, Nick made two fantastic tackles on Dema in the first half.

Arnaud wasn't bad, but he needs to stop whining as much. Preki played him a great ball into the box, and Davy flopped taking a dive and then when he didn't get the call jumped up and ran at the ref.

I still believe that MOTM was split between Victorine and Garcia.

23. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've already got a dozen on order...

24. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'bout freakin' time.

Freddy Adu = The Porsche that frequently breaks down on the highway

Dema Kovalenko = Nick Garcia's bitch

25. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this, to me, was the highlight of the game... even better than sasha's great strike. the recovery and precision of the tackle was just great to watch... and the fact that dema didn't offer up one complaint speaks volumes to the quality.