KC @ Colorado: Leg 1 POST Game thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Nov 4, 2003.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Well. Wolde decided to score. Good.

Phantom foul called in the midfield. CO passes out wide, cross, goal. Tie.

I am not going to complain. While the foul that lead to the goal was crap, coming home tied is fine with me. If we can't win at home, we don't deserve to go on.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least Wolde picked a good time to score his first goal for KC. Sounds like the game wasn't too incredibly entertaining. The series and the season comes down to one game with the tie. At least we don't have to worry about coming back from down goals in the next game. Anyone know why it was Arnuad instead of Simu on the sub?

3. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Tony was out of posistion on the tying goal. Lucky really to get a draw with Spencer's pill that hit the post. Oh well makes for a great return leg.

Nice turnout at Coach's. Most of the people there sit in 114, which suprised me really. I thought more "sidliners" would be there.

Ps . Andy you are not welcome at the return leg you just seem to be bad luck. I am ,so please don't think about it.

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Stuff that will keep me up briefly tonight

*6400 in Denver. The surprise is it wasn't less given a mid-week game, 70k+ the night before for the Broncos', and the fact it was 32 degrees at kickoff. Denver losing like that is proof that, like the 2 games, the football gods and the soccer gods are closely related. No respect for the Rapids? Fine, eat a loss in pulled-it-out-of-their-wangs fashion.
    Works for me...flippin' Donkeys. They got what they deserved.

*KC was outplayed and "outphysicalled". The midfield turnovers were abysmal. The numerous defensive zone turnovers might have been worse. COL should feel confident that they can absolutely come to Arrowhead and take this series in regulation. Basicly, COL committed 3 mistakes in their zone and Zags jumped on the first one.

*COL outshot KC 12-6. Spencer hitting the post was probably the most important play of the game.

*WTG, Wolde! That said, the quote from Harris was that he didn't look at Cannon, he just tried to hit it as hard as possible. I might feel different about it later, but right now my kneejerk reaction is that the goal might be a little lucky.

*Preki, scoreless tonight, in the playoffs has 10 goals and 4 asissts. That's a very different ratio from his reg. sea. numbers. It's the kind of indicator that is probably vital to understanding soccer, yet I have no idea what it means.**

*KC remains winless in its' last 8 road playoff games 0-6-2. KC is also 7-0-1 at home on the trot.

*Zags was MotM, without him this was certainly a loss and possibly a blowout. Big Game Zags is his new handle.

*Did Klein play? In his defense, I'm sure most of his runs had to be aborted because everyone kept turning it over before he could get involved. Igor was sorely missed. There will be a different formation Saturday. Hendu had a similar game for COL.

*Quill wasn't much a positive on either end.

*If KC wins it will be thorugh passing of a much higher standard than tonights'. COL will win if they both play like that here.

*Pretty good tactics by Hankinson. Pressure midfield (where they own a fitness advantage) by trapping the wings with numbers. Force KC to pass horizontally or ahead of runs. Turning and flick-ons to speed are not KC's strength. Attack aerially and exploit the lack of height in back. All will happen again in Game 2. Hopefully KC gets the call next time.

*I think BG was slightly outcoached tonight. KC played almost the same style as they have the last month (as they should going unbeaten in 5). Hankinson had tactical changes that bothered KC and forced them to change their game several times. It's more of TH doing well than BG doing poorly, IMO.

*The silver lining: 1) KC always plays better at home in the blue on the smaller field. Among other things, Conrad will be more able to get forward for set plays. Less space to cover as well means fitness is less of a factor. 2)It will be warmer (I hope) so more people will attend and the game might be more of a touch one (softer ball, close interplay, etc.). 3) I don't think KC can play much worse than they did. I trust BG to sort out this stuff quickly. I hope that the poor passing was simply a function of that being KC's first cold game since March. It's hard to simulate either altitude or 32 degrees, much less both. The physics of the ball are different. 4)KC is without Wolff, Igor, and Burciaga and it's still just 1-1.

**Concept stolen from the best column in the world of sport: Tuesday Morning Quarterback by Greg Easterbrooke. ESPN.com sucks, BTW.
    -oot

5. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Well, their goal was crap on three levels...but I won't talk about it.

Ok, yes I will.

1.) Non-existant foul for the free kick.
    2.) Colorado asked for 10 yrds, and Hall started moving back the defenders. As he was doing this, with his arms holding back two wizards defenders, Colorado took the free kick. Hall should have called back the free kick.
    3.) Foul in the box, should have disallowed the goal.

It won't change anything, but it will make me feel better.

I'm still happy with the tie. It just means that we have to win on Sat., which we will.

6. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Glad to see we won. I was following the game on my cell phone during my night class and my eyes lit up once I saw we were up 1-0. Figured we weren't going to give up 2 goals so at that point I knew we'd at worst tie this game and we're definately gonna win at home so we advance! Bring on LA! :D

This team is peaking at the perfect time, and the way the playoffs are working out, there's a favorable shot we'll go to the Cup. LA at Arrowhead? C'mon, no way. Book your tickets to LA.

As for Saturday night, haven't been able to come to the majority of the games this season, and the ones I have been to, I've been bringing people. But no one is up for the game ("It's too cold... waaaa") so I'll be there for the game, hopefully still pumped about KU's win over Nebraska.

7. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    We tied...

1) That was the worst part about the whole sequence. There simply wasn't a foul in the first place.
    2) Hall should have called the ball back since he was placing the wall.
    3) I actually thought it wasn't that bad at the naer post. Dave, Meola wasn't in perfect position, but the header was from less than 6 yards out. Pretty impossible to save unless he stood at the back post, which would have been out of possition.

I forget where I heard this. But I once read/heard that 90% of the time all forwards do it hit the ball as hard as they can in the direction of the goal and hope good things happen. Being an all out striker/pocher my entire soccer life I'll tell you thats true. Sure it comes out looking nice, but aiming at one of the four corners of the goal is the best most fowards can do unless its a free kick or an open shot with no pressure.
    From that angle, Wolde just had to blast it and hope.

8. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I thought they were complaining about that originally. Carrieri looked like all he was doing was running into Garcia.

9. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    I thought the foul should have been called on the rapids on the goal. Garcia had two guys climb up and over his back. No way for him to defend that. Also did anyone else notice Cannon go to his knees before Wolde shot. He looked like a hockey goalie. If he stays on his feet for the shot, it isn't a goal. He looked to be guessing where the ball was going instead of reacting. I thought at times we controlled the ball well when we kept it on the ground and played for possession. Every long ball we sent seemed to go right to a Rapids player and kill runs. Maybe that was the effect of the cold and and rock hard ball. Who knows. Satisfied with a tie but hoped for more.

10. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Bo Oshoniyi is know for being a butterfly goalie, but Cannon looks like he's picked up that style as well. You have to go top shelf on a butterfly goalie, and Wolde did. :)

I still think Igor will play as an attacking midfielder at some point to force Mastroeni and Beckerman (or Becekrman as his shirt said) to defend a second playmaker.

11. Van Buren

Van Buren New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Kansas City, Mo
    Re: Stuff that will keep me up briefly tonight

**Concept stolen from the best column in the world of sport: Tuesday Morning Quarterback by Greg Easterbrooke. ESPN.com sucks, BTW.
    -oot [/B][/QUOTE]

can't agree more. Just another example of being the wrong color to say certain things, which are legitimate topics for debate. ESPN should be ashamed. Change network to "ES-PC."

---

On the game, if bob is holding simu out b/c it's cold, well, it's going to be cold saturday in arrowhead, so simu better get used to it b/c I don't see us winning without him.

I thought we were down a man all match, the way we refused to accept possession. Great grades for defense (garcia was fouled on the goal in my mind) and zavagnin. Wolde had a nice goal, but didn't do much else. Klein and Quill got crushed on the wings. Zotinca doesn't make any mistakes, but doesn't really contribute much either. Preki, like wolde, got little help.

It was horrible attacking soccer, and I hope it's different saturday. I want the win first of all, but a dream day would be a KU win in Lawrence over the corn, and end-to-end attacking soccer where KC gets down early, ties it up in the 80th and scores the winner in injury time, thus ensuring exciting, attacking soccer and no bunkerball. Is this all too much to ask?

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Re: Re: Stuff that will keep me up briefly tonight

Beggars can't be choosers. I'll take a boring 1-0 win, thank you.

13. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Great atmosphere at Coaches. Pleasantly surprised at the turnout. If I didn't live so far north (just east of Gladstone), I'd be there all the time.

14. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow and you are suppose to be a mod and know these things. Wacky

You still go to games that is crazy. I haven't seen you at a game all year.

15. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    I think you have me confused with someone else who was bagging on Tony.

16. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    LOL... how I said we won, then followed it up by saying I was following the game and I knew we'd at least tie after we scored the first goal, is beyond me. I just wasn't paying attention to what I was typing I guess. Maybe I was declaring it a moral victory or something. :p

Yup. Work has prevented me from going to some, along with occasional other conflicts (see: girlfriend's sorority functions), and the games that I've been to have been with other people who don't yet get the whole supporters section thing. Also, as a poor college student, I realized I can save about a lot of money by staying home and watching some on PPV.

17. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    I agree with you first two points but I don’t think there was a foul on the header. For the most part I think the officiating was fair and I am very happy with the result.

I think we will win on sat but don’t think this is going to be an easy game. I won’t be surprised if we lose especially if the game goes to penalties.

18. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Perfect lead in for the Pregame thread if you ask me.

19. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Coach's

Having missed only two games at Coach's all season, I was very pleased with the turnout. The Ole chant after our goal was pretty cool. Reminded me of that scene in the Replacements when they introduce Nigel.

The second half was pretty lackluster. Once Colo scored, we just seemed resigned to a tie. I know it is in our favor to have a tie, but a win would have been so have better.

Chris