KC Area Pickup & League Soccer Thread v08.1

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Beech, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: KC Area Pickup & League Soccer Thread v07.5

if it weren't for my knee i would since i have a few sunday mornings off soon

2. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I'm hoping that we can get the old kickaround started back up in the spring. I can't remember if we ever drew well in this kind of weather though. We'd always have a few of us out there but not the numbers that we had on good days. Being a responsible old man now (as opposed to just a drunk obnoxious old man), I have to be careful not to get maimed. Playing in the spring cuts down on the chances of that. Also, my being fat and out of shape cuts down on that right now as I can't build up enough speed for a good maiming.

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

If the weather cooperates and we could get some people to definitely commit then we should start it up again.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I echo this statement, just retroactively restate it for the past 6ish months

5. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You ready for the new session to start Wed.?

Our squad really came together towards the end of this most recent one, we were in fine form...I think we can keep that up and hopefully finish top.

Just hope the damn weather cooperates. :D

6. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, the fields were under a ton of snow and ice. I didn't think I had to specify that it was cancelled, but perhaps I should in the future :)

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Ha ha :D

Yeah we ended up third. Not too shabby after getting hammered in week one.

10:10pm this Wednesday we start all over again.

8. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah I know when I first came on, our form was really patchy but boy we turned on at the end of the season.

If we play the way we did in the playoff game, I don't think there's a team in the flight that can beat us.

9. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We played in much worse on the Suday kickarounds a couple of years ago, when they were in Leawood Park. I remember playing in a steady snow, playing in single-digit temps, playing in snow/slush (which was soooo not fun, being a goalie). For some reason, the Sunday morning kickaround just really fell apart over the last 6-9 months.

10. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People stopped showing up a little at a time until it was usually just me and Pez standing around cursing everyone else for not showing up even though they swore they would in this thread. Shortly after that my twins were born and Pez hurt his leg and the last nail was hammered into the coffin of the kickaround. My hope is that by spring, I can start getting out again. If others are interested we can start again then. I think that starting now would be killing it before it even got started again. Being stubborn jacka$$es and playing in this kind of mess is part of what killed it off before. We'd commit to playing in the middle of an ice storm and then no one would show and the people who did show would wind up mad that very few showed up and some of that group would die off for the following week, etc, etc until...well, see my first sentence.

11. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah i remember and loved going out and playing in the snow...i wish i could get sundays off...but i may be working more 4-12 from now on :D...:mad:

http://thecauldron.multiply.com/photos/photo/3/13.jpg

12. jimkkc

jimkkc New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    KC MO

Hey - this weekend the temps will be in the 30's - 40's . . . that is plenty warm. The snow and ice will be long gone by then too.

13. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but playing in those conditions really isn't much fun to me. I mean, if I were going to do that, I think I'd rather go sledding or something ;)

14. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, if we can get enough commitments from people on here, we can play. I know Paco, Mateo (if he's in town), Brian and Hakan will play, but I doubt any of the other Turks will come.

15. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

My indoor team is looking for one new player. Due to injuries we are short a guy and need someone to step in.

We play Wednesday nights and the first game of the new session is tonight. 10:10pm in Lenexa.

PM me if you are interested. $70 for 8-9 week session.

16. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area

Your matches start at 10:10 on a weekday evening? That's crazy talk! I love to play soccer, but even love has its limits. :D

On a related note, I was wondering if anybody worked in the Olathe area and wanted to kick the ball around at lunchtime. I'd be up for any day, and wouldn't be averse to spending all my lunch hours that way.

Also, weekends in Belton around mid-afternoon on. I've been playing with a group of Latino young people at the Rec Center. Come on down if you're interested. They've taken down all the regulation goals/nets, but there're mini goals still out for the time being.

17. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It's indoor and the time varies every week, the latest start time we have had is 12:55am. But usually they are between 6 and 10:30pm

18. jimkkc

jimkkc New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    KC MO

Is that Belton game indoors? Sunday? or Saturday?

19. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area

Outdoors, and so far, it has be either or both Saturday and Sunday. If you're in that neck of the woods and just want to check it out, there's a good chance that a group will be down there from 3:00 until dark. I don't know if I've just been lucky, but every time I go, those guys show up. If you come, just walk up and say you want to play!

If want more concrete arrangements, you can PM me. This coming weekend is out for me, though.

20. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry I can't play this session, man. I'm going to be gone too much in the next 8 weeks :(

21. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I found a player, thanks for those who expressed an interest. We drew 5-5 btw.

22. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:( What a crap result huh...should've never been that way.

Their last two goals were so fluky, esp. the equalizer...can't believe that came off me perfectly and deflected in, felt so bad.

Those guys were a bunch of pricks...wanted to beat them so bad. That ref was terrible in the 2nd half, gave them EVERYTHING. It was like playing against Man Utd. at OT with Mike Riley as the official.

Clear handball goal given for them plus their 4th came when the guy ROLLED the ball forward, a joke really.

The ref was too busy talking to those two girls on their bench who were also very annoying BTW. I can't believe how much crap the ref took from that team too, whined sooooo much.

Ah well I guess, we'll win next week...I'm confident.

23. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

The ref was certainly more interested in the two girls on the sideline than the game. John nailed a couple of their forwards two or three times while he was chatting them up :D

Tough draw when we had them 5-3 with 90 seconds to go.

24. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey... I was trying to move into position to make a save, he shouldn't have been running across the penalty area like that... It's like a wide receiver running a route across the middle, you have to expect to be hit.

Especially considering they earned only one of their goals. (I'll give them the free-kick, because I was in position to make the save - and should have - but I just misread it.)

25. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When I lived in DC, there were midweek games with scheduled start times after midnight... If they ran late, sometimes games didn't start until 2 or 3 a.m. On the weekends, most of the facilities were open 24 hours, scheduled to the gills.