NSR: Katai Situation Discussion

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Skevin, Jun 5, 2020.

1. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno how discussion about marriage can fit into roster thread, it shoulda be somewhere in non-soccer related topics. It's hijacking.

2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll split it off into separate thread.

pirozhok repped this.
  3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a thread to discuss the Katai situation as it relates to non-Galaxy issues.

To recap: Katai has been released from the LA Galaxy because his wife posted racist, anti-protestor messages on social media. Katai condemned the posts but obviously he is married to the person who made the racist posts and many Galaxy fans were very upset. Really a no-win situation for the Galaxy.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/la-gala...eksandar-katai-after-wifes-social-media-posts

hav77 repped this.
  4. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read some of her original posts i could find (most or all of them have been taken down, but Serbian websites re-posted them), to be precise she was specifically referring to looters in LA, with disregard to their skin color.

kaburu repped this.
  5. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No. She literally posted pictures and words with "black" in them. Very targeted.

6. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should this statement be condemned?
    “But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.”

7. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think there’s 2 major factors in Katai’s removal.

1). The timing. The posts came out something like a day after the Galaxy made their statement clear on where they stand regarding the issue of police brutality. If they didn’t act quickly and decisively their statement would like empty and hollow.

2). They needed to make an example out of someone. This may fall more into the hands of MLS and the Players Union than the Galaxy. I think collectively they wanted to make a statement that there is zero tolerance for any racist behavior and Katai was the first person to cross the line.

Obviously there’s a complicated area where HE didn’t do anything wrong, but I’m guessing the FO sat down with him and gave him some options and they agreed to part ways. I haven’t seen any hard evidence but there’s been a lot of talk that Katai refused to wear the pride work jersey last season for the Fire. So I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just going to be easier for all parties involved to just move him on to somewhere outside the league.

MPNumber9, ShortyMac, JPAR and 3 others repped this.
  8. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beakmon FC repped this.
  10. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw the last name, but didn't realize they were related.

11. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that last name is very rare, and guy is from Vermont (where older Solzhenitsyn resided).

Beakmon FC repped this.
  12. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My guess is that Katai at least somewhat shares his wifes views. But I don’t know that for sure. So I would not have fired him automatically on basis of his wife’s tweets. If I were boss I would have had a long talk with him and he would have to really convince me that he didn’t share his wife’s views. Part of that interview would be asking him to make TV spots (LAG sponsored) and community outreach and show more than lip service in the fight against racism in soccer and in the world. If he hesitated about publicly joining the fight and was unwilling to go beyond making a social media post or reading a prepared statement — well then he would be gone.

But he should have at least been given a chance to prove his wife’s views weren’t his own. And maybe that did happen. I hope so. The guilt-by-association path can be a dangerous one.

TrickHog, 73Bruin and MPNumber9 repped this.
  13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did : Katai responded with his own Instagram post, “These views are not ones that I share and are not tolerated in my family.” Katai went on to say, “I understand that it will take time to earn back the support of the people of Los Angeles.” This tells me either LA told him to apologize or he did it on his own. Regardless they still canned him. My question is, If this was Chris Klein's wife does LA Fire him?

kaburu and pirozhok repped this.
  14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it'd be a much, much bigger scandal for the Galaxy if it was the wife of a long-time executive saying that sort of thing.

TrickHog repped this.
  15. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If was Chris Klein’s wife he would have been fired before anything else was done.

skydog repped this.
  16. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Posts are easy and the absolute minimum a person can do to get out of hot water. They are almost auto-written these days. (Hell, I just got an apology email from the CEO of CPI and I don't even know what he did!) That's why I would have asked Katai to go beyond that. And if he really isn't racist he wouldn't hesitate to do so.

17. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Anyone here good at spoofing accounts?? :whistling:

shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Me: That's horrible!

Galaxy Me: But would be effective!

Beakmon FC and hav77 repped this.
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Beirut, Skevin, 73Bruin and 2 others repped this.
  21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes me wonder if we took him on with a “you’re already at strike 2” sort of deal as a reclamation project since he’d warn out his welcome in Chicago.

might have been in his deal that any embarrassment and you’re out.

just a guess.

73Bruin repped this.
  22. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    For the last several years, FIFA, USSoccer and MLS, have been publicly condemning both racial and sexual orientation discrimination. From what has been posted here, it appears that Katai had issues with both in Chicago. I can easily see him having a league HR file with behavioral issues before he got to the Galaxy.

23. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It’s worth noting that the Galaxy would have had to gone through the Players Union to terminate the contract. I’m guessing they had enough that the Players Union wouldn’t stand up for Katai.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  24. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they somehow bought out his contract, hard to see how employee could be legally terminated for the words/actions of his relative.

skydog and TrickHog repped this.
  25. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Not that this matters anymore since Katai is gone, but I did listen to Sapong's story. Doesn't prove his a racist, but it does add fuel to the fire. Katai sounded like kind of a dick.

It seems these last 5 years stuff always happens with our team. I kind of miss the days where the only thing that was talked about regarding our team, was how great we were playing.

I think we have some lingering locker room problems stemming from a few years ago but that is a different discussion.

hav77 and TrickHog repped this.