Karbassiyoon to trial at AZ Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by JBohland, Jul 11, 2006.

1. JBohland

JBohland New Member

Feb 6, 1999
  2. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
  3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could be playing in the Champion's League. Sounds like a good deal to me.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm pretty sure that the phrase "a view to" in UK-Sports-Reporter-Ese is essentially meaningless filler. Obviously, if he's going on trial, the mutual goal would be to obtain a move, but I'm not sure anything else should be taken from this particular article.

Still, great find and good luck to Danny!

5. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be great for Danny. Good luck to him.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    AZ are in the UEFA cup, psv and AJAX are in the champions league

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, don't follow the Dutch League all that closely. I was going by the article.

Still, a chance to play in Europe even if it is only the UEFA Cup.

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AZ? Wow, that's quite a difference from Burnley! I'm excited if he can impress and earn himself a contract. AZ have been on the up and up the last 3 seasons and Van Gaal has been a large part of it. Maybe a manager of Van Gaal's quality is what Danny needs to put him back on track. Also the pressure of the UEFA Cup and pushing PSV for the title only help one's career.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

brit reporters so rarely know much of anything about other leagues :D

the KNVB started a playoff for the second CL spot this season and AJAX won it over AZ, Fword and groningen

10. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Maybe Bluedaddy can help me here, but didn't Van Gaal just continue what Co Adrianse started?

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    last year you could say that, but at this point, he has had enough turnover where this is his team... by the time the season starts, kromkamp, super-shota, landzaat, perez, sektioui, de cler and maybe jaliens and mathijsen will be gone from the UEFA semifinal team of two years back

12. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    makes sense. I shouldn't forget that success in Holland = turnover or €.

13. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Given Dempsey's past interactions with Feyenoord, the occasional rumor of Adu-to-Chelsea-but-then-loaned-to-Holland, Bradley, Nguyen, and Beasley, we may be a very dutch-oriented national team soon (now wait for the calls for the 4-3-3)!

Ajax is faltering behind their competitors - maybe it should go and sign Eddie Gaven :p

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    They took a long look at Mike Magee a few years back IIRC.

15. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    And even more to the point, the Dutch are good at spotting coachable talent. If Van Gaal passes on Karby, then perhaps it's not that he never got a shot in England, but that he's simply not that good when you get down to it.

16. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Really? Did they subsequently get their vision checked? :D

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Mike Magee can play.

18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I always thought so too.

I don't think he is a star, but I think the way he plays doesn't translate in MLS. Mike is actually pretty clever and quick. It gets lost in MLS at times.

Again, I don't hink he is a star and it's not an MLS shot, I just don't think his style and MLS/RB have fit well.

19. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    He seems like a Taylor Twellman type at best - good against weak opponents, weak against good opponents. It's not a surprise to me that as MLS has gotten more and more competitive, his productivity has steadily declined.

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-form is temporary...

2-gaven would never make it at AJAX, he's too lackadaisical... dempsey would be a better choice

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    See Zoidberg's reply.

Mike could be a nice player in a less athletic but more skill oriented Euro league like Belgium or Holland, though probably at a mid-tier club at the beginning. He has a good touch and a good head, two qualities that often get ignored in MLS.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mike Magee is a skilled and very heady player. My impression of him was he didn't quite have the athletic ability to make it at the National Team level.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    As opposed to Frankie Heydude, who is a not so skilled and very dead-heady player. (I crack myself up.)

Any further word on Karby and the cheese heads?

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i've always thought that there were probably hundreds of other players better than karby when arsenal were having a look see. but karby got the contract because he had or could get a euro passport.

25. JBohland

JBohland New Member

Feb 6, 1999
    Just curious, but have you ever seen Danny play? I have and can assure you he was one of the best prospects in the country his senior year of high school. MVP of the Adidas camp, offers from all the major college programs (would likely have gone to Duke if he had not turned pro), Region I, U-18 national team player. I think hundreds is a bit of a reach.