Kansas City Wizards Off-Season Movement Tracker

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Jan 24, 2008.

1. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't exactly much to evalauate... we DID JUST have the 2 drafts within the last week...

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't? Cause with 2 drafts happening I think there's PLENTY to evaluate. For instance why'd we take a player in the 2nd round of the supplemental draft the day after he signed a contract with a USL-1 side?

If you look at our current roster there are 21 players listed. No GAs, as both John and Pore had to be protected or exposed in the expansion draft. That means there has to be at least 3 Dev players in that list to get the team down to the league max of 18 senior roster players. My guess is that there are 4, maybe 5, (Kraus, Lowery, McMahen, and Watson, possibly Wahl, I don't remember last years classifications so those names may be off).

So that leaves 1 senior roster spot open, maybe 2. Trujillo will take one of those if there are two. Then you look at our 10 draft picks (9 actually cause Arze isn't going to come play here for Dev money when I'm sure Vancouver is offering more). 2 of them are GA and don't count, so we're down to 7 competing for the other 5-6 developmental roster spots.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. But from the looks of that it certainly doesn't look like there will be much more movement going on. So yes, there's plenty of evaluating to look at.

3. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't evaluate our roster just yet. We don't know who will sign with the team out of our draft picks and we don't know who will not be signed or who will be droppped if we find a player in argentina.

I would say our first 2 picks will make it after that it's a crap shoot. Just because we drafted them doesn't mean we'll sign them.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our first 2 picks are already on the team. Myers and Espinoza are Generation Adidas players, they've already signed with MLS so they're on the team next year.

If last year is any indication, the majority of them will sign. Last year we had 10 picks, and all but 2 ended up on the roster. One of those 2 was Frimpong, and we all know that story.

I'm not saying to do the final evaluating now, but with the way the roster breaks down at the moment, there is certainly some roster evaluating that can be done.

5. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike - they haven't even practiced yet.... as a team. Seems we need to wait until they at least practice. Play a pre-season match or two. Get someone to see them play other than the coaches. And they have the trip to Argentina.

They are here for a week. Then in Florida where they play 4 games. Back here for a week and then off to Argentina. I guess we'd have a pretty good idea about an evaluation before they run off down south.

Just saying that no matter who we took in the draft, they haven't played a moment with the team so there's no say whether they (draft picks) are any good. Nor even Trujillo (when he comes).

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't mean we can't start to evaluate the roster by the way it's starting to shape up. As I said, the way our roster has broken down in the past, the players we have currently, plus the majority of our drafted players, and maybe 1 other player will make up our roster for the coming season.

And as to what started this. I agree with Sachsen in the fact that our forward line looks incredibly thin. The way our forward line looks right now, we have the oft-injured Scott Sealy, Ryan Pore, who's only contribution really has been being the all time leading scorer in the reserve league (which hasn't helped him in any way to contribute goals for the first team), and probably Ivan Trujillo, who has yet to prove he can score in this league. Then we have guys like Eloy Colombano, Will John, Davy Arnaud, and Carlos Marinelli that could play up top, but are all much better in other positions. Doesn't look like a forward line that will strike much fear in opposing defenses.

7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New][B][U]2007 Roster.............................2008 Roster[/U][/B]
    Davy Arnaud.............................Davy Arnaud
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Jose Burciaga Jr.[/COLOR][/I].......................[I][COLOR=Blue]Vincente Arze*[/COLOR][/I]
    Eloy Colombano..........................Eloy Colombano
    Jimmy Conrad............................Jimmy Conrad
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Edson Elcock[/COLOR][/I]............................[I][COLOR=Blue]Roger Espinoza[/COLOR][/I]
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Nick Garcia[/COLOR][/I].............................[I][COLOR=Blue]Tom Gray*[/COLOR][/I]
    [I][COLOR=Grey]A.J. Godbolt[/COLOR][/I]............................Michael Harrington
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Willy Guadarrama[/COLOR][/I]........................Kevin Hartman
    Michael Harrington......................[I][COLOR=Blue]Pat Healy*[/COLOR][/I]
    Kevin Hartman...........................Aaron Hohlbein
    Aaron Hohlbein..........................Jack Jewsbury
    Jack Jewsbury...........................[I][COLOR=Blue]Andrew Kartunen*[/COLOR][/I]
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Will John[/COLOR][/I]...............................Michael Kraus
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Eddie Johnson[/COLOR][/I]...........................Eric Kronberg
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Chris Konopka[/COLOR][/I]...........................[I][COLOR=Blue]Jonathan Leathers*[/COLOR][/I]
    Michael Kraus...........................Amir Lowery
    Eric Kronberg...........................Carlos Marinelli
    Amir Lowery.............................[I][COLOR=Blue]Matt Marquess*[/COLOR][/I]
    Carlos Marinelli........................Ryan McHahen
    Ryan McHahen............................[I][COLOR=Blue]Rauwshan McKenzie*[/COLOR][/I]
    Kurt Morsink............................Kurt Morsink
    Ryan Pore...............................[I][COLOR=Blue]Chance Myers[/COLOR][/I]
    Ryan Raybould...........................Ryan Pore
    Scott Sealy.............................Ryan Raybould
    Sasha Victorine.........................Scott Sealy
    Tyson Wahl..............................Sasha Victorine
    Lance Watson............................Tyson Wahl
    Kerry Zavagnin..........................Lance Watson                           
    ........................................[I][COLOR=Blue]Yomby William*[/COLOR][/I]
    ........................................Kerry Zavagnin

[I][COLOR=Grey]Will not be with team in 2008[/COLOR]	   	[COLOR=Blue]New acquisition for 2008[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Blue]* - Still has to make team try outs[/COLOr][/I]

[B]BY POSITION[/B]
    F - Ryan Pore
    F - Scott Sealy
    M/F - Jack Jewsbury
    M/F - Will John
    M/F - Michael Kraus
    M - Davy Arnaud
    M - Vincente Arze*
    M - Eloy Colombano
    M - Tom Gray*
    M - Pat Healy*
    M - Amir Lowery
    M - Carlos Marinelli
    M - Ryan McHahen
    M - Kurt Morsink
    M - Sasha Victorine
    M - Lance Watson
    M - Kerry Zavagnin
    M/D - Roger Espinoza
    M/D - Aaron Hohlbein
    M/D - Ryan Raybould
    D - Jimmy Conrad
    D - Michael Harrington
    D - Jonathan Leathers*
    D - Matt Marquess*
    D - Rauwshan McKenzie*
    D - Chance Myers
    D - Tyson Wahl
    D - Yomby William*
    GK - Kevin Hartman
    GK - Andrew Kartunen*
    GK - Eric Kronberg

[B]EVENT LOG:[/B]
    11.29.07: [COLOR=Grey]Edson Elcock waived.[/COLOR]
    11.29.07: [COLOR=Grey]A.J. Godbolt waived.[/COLOR]
    11.29.07: [COLOR=Grey]Willy Guadarrama waived.[/COLOR]
    11.29.07: [COLOR=Grey]Chris Konopka waived.[/COLOR]
    01.15.08: [COLOR=Grey]Nick Garcia to San Jose for #1 SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.16.08: [COLOR=Grey]Jose Burciaga to Colorado for 2nd round 2009 SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Chance Myers obtained as 1st SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Roger Espinoza obtained as 11th SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Yomby William obtained as 23rd SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Jonathan Leathers obtained as 25th SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Matt Marquess obtained as 39th SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Rauwshan McKenzie obtained as 53rd SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.23.08: [COLOR=Grey]Eddie Johnson to Fulham FC for allocation money[/COLOR]
    01.24.08: [COLOR=Blue]Pat Healy obtained as 11th Supplemental Draft pcik.[/COLOR]
    01.24.08: [COLOR=Blue]Vincente Arze obtained as 25th Supplemental Draft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.24.08: [COLOR=Blue]Tom Gray obtained as 39th Supplemental Draft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.24.08: [COLOR=Blue]Andrew Kartunen obtained as 53rd Supplemental Draft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.30.08: [COLOR=Grey]Will John signed by Denmark club.[/COLOR]

[/FONT]

8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now Will John has signed with a Danish team.

So far, we've subtracted EJ, Garcia, Burciaga, and Will John, and added no one of consequence.

I'm trying to be patient... really...

9. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
  10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that the link that says K.C. is interested just takes you to another story of hers. You figure it would take you to somebody else who could back up her claim but nope her reason for thinking K.C. is interested is because she said it earlier. Awesome.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I posted in the comments. I mean it'd be ok if it linked back to an article of hers that then linked to a REAL source, but nope just baseless speculation.

13. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking of starting my own rumor. Cristiano Ronaldo has decided K.C. is his dream city and will be a K.C. player by the time the season starts. This rumor is true because I just told it to a co-worker a few minutes ago, so now that it has been said I can post it on here without feeling like I'm lying.

Fear not Sachsen help is on the way.

Man that was easy. I should start a blog. :)

14. Craig-o

Craig-o Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Derby, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ew, who wants that diving pretty-boy on our team? :D

I seriously hope we get something more than just Trujillo before the season kicks off. I got really excited when we started moving players around before the draft...now we've got this eerie calm.

Maybe they'll go to Argentina and find another couple of guys. I know Marinelli isn't always a hit around here, but to go there last year and find a starter, as well as a backup in Eloy, says that they can scout and get things done.

Oh yeah, and I'm totally telling everyone I know about Cristiano to KC. Let's propagate this thing! ;)

15. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, I spoke with my brother-in-law today, who has a cousin, who has a friend who works in the United kit-room. He says that he overheard Louis Saha talking about coming to the "Heart of the States" to play out his football career, and that this deal will be done by the transfer window deadline tonight!!!

16. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we sign Saha we'll have to pay Chet North more because he'll get a whole lot busier with him around. :)

17. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That diving pretty-boy has scored 27 or 28 goals in the last 27 or 28 competitions. At the EPL level of play. It would be scary to see how many he could tally in the MLS.

18. Craig-o

Craig-o Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Derby, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. Hence the :D.

Hell, I would've reluctantly taken Ruiz, so CR's more than alright in my book.

19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Eh, I'd've been upset if we'd've taken Ruiz. He'sn't putting the same numbers up as he used to, and I don't think his scoring outweighs his jackassery.

20. wz187

wz187 Member

Aug 30, 2006
    So how far under the cap are we now? Assuming we were at the 2.1 last season, we should be somewhere around 600,000 under the cap right now. Just off the top of my head:

EJ 400K
    Garica 120K
    Jose 120K

Ivan T will get some, but I doubt he will get too much.

Our new guys wont be payed any more than the guys we released (considering 2 are GAs). Since the league pays these salaries, there is no reason for us to be under the cap, except for bad scouting.

21. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember we do have another trip to Argentina - there's a chance we could be picking up someone from there.

22. wz187

wz187 Member

Aug 30, 2006
    There was a lot of anger and confusion because we needed a forward to replace Johnson and we didn't draft Nyarko. Looks like Nyarko will have a tough time making an impact in his first year. So it looks like th wizards, as far as the short term goes, were correct in not drafting Nyarko.

According to SoccerAmerica, today, Nyarko wont report to the Fire until after graduation in May.

23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    - Truillo isn't officially official yet (I think), but we'll go ahead and add him since he's eminent at this point.

- Healy and Gray were waived today at practice.

- Arze and Kartunen never showed up to camp (see discussion below).

- Interesting note - We currently have a 27 man roster.

- Claudio Lopez on here soon?

Code:
    [FONT=Courier New][B][U]2007 Roster.............................2008 Roster[/U][/B]
    Davy Arnaud.............................Davy Arnaud
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Jose Burciaga Jr.[/COLOR][/I].......................Eloy Colombano
    Eloy Colombano..........................Jimmy Conrad
    Jimmy Conrad............................[I][COLOR=Blue]Roger Espinoza[/COLOR][/I]
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Edson Elcock[/COLOR][/I]............................Michael Harrington
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Nick Garcia[/COLOR][/I].............................Kevin Hartman
    [I][COLOR=Grey]A.J. Godbolt[/COLOR][/I]............................Aaron Hohlbein
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Willy Guadarrama[/COLOR][/I]........................Jack Jewsbury
    Michael Harrington......................Michael Kraus
    Kevin Hartman...........................Eric Kronberg
    Aaron Hohlbein..........................[I][COLOR=Blue]Jonathan Leathers*[/COLOR][/I]
    Jack Jewsbury...........................Amir Lowery
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Will John[/COLOR][/I]...............................Carlos Marinelli
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Eddie Johnson[/COLOR][/I]...........................[I][COLOR=Blue]Matt Marquess*[/COLOR][/I]
    [I][COLOR=Grey]Chris Konopka[/COLOR][/I]...........................Ryan McHahen
    Michael Kraus...........................[I][COLOR=Blue]Rauwshan McKenzie*[/COLOR][/I]
    Eric Kronberg...........................Kurt Morsink
    Amir Lowery.............................[I][COLOR=Blue]Chance Myers[/COLOR][/I]
    Carlos Marinelli........................Ryan Pore
    Ryan McHahen............................Ryan Raybould
    Kurt Morsink............................Scott Sealy
    Ryan Pore...............................[I][COLOR=Blue]Ivan Trujillo[/COLOR][/I]
    Ryan Raybould...........................Sasha Victorine
    Scott Sealy.............................Tyson Wahl
    Sasha Victorine.........................Lance Watson
    Tyson Wahl..............................[I][COLOR=Blue]Yomby William*[/COLOR][/I]
    Lance Watson............................Kerry Zavagnin 
    Kerry Zavagnin..........................                         

[I][COLOR=Grey]Will not be with team in 2008[/COLOR]	   	[COLOR=Blue]New acquisition for 2008[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Blue]* - Still has to make team try outs[/COLOr][/I]

[B]BY POSITION[/B]
    F - Ryan Pore
    F - Scott Sealy
    F - Ivan Trujillo
    M/F - Jack Jewsbury
    M/F - Michael Kraus
    M - Davy Arnaud
    M - Eloy Colombano
    M - Amir Lowery
    M - Carlos Marinelli
    M - Ryan McHahen
    M - Kurt Morsink
    M - Sasha Victorine
    M - Lance Watson
    M - Kerry Zavagnin
    M/D - Roger Espinoza
    M/D - Aaron Hohlbein
    M/D - Ryan Raybould
    D - Jimmy Conrad
    D - Michael Harrington
    D - Jonathan Leathers*
    D - Matt Marquess*
    D - Rauwshan McKenzie*
    D - Chance Myers
    D - Tyson Wahl
    D - Yomby William*
    GK - Kevin Hartman
    GK - Eric Kronberg

[B]EVENT LOG:[/B]
    11.29.07: [COLOR=Grey]Edson Elcock waived.[/COLOR]
    11.29.07: [COLOR=Grey]A.J. Godbolt waived.[/COLOR]
    11.29.07: [COLOR=Grey]Willy Guadarrama waived.[/COLOR]
    11.29.07: [COLOR=Grey]Chris Konopka waived.[/COLOR]
    01.15.08: [COLOR=Grey]Nick Garcia to San Jose for #1 SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.16.08: [COLOR=Grey]Jose Burciaga to Colorado for 2nd round 2009 SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Chance Myers obtained as 1st SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Roger Espinoza obtained as 11th SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Yomby William obtained as 23rd SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Jonathan Leathers obtained as 25th SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Matt Marquess obtained as 39th SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.18.08: [COLOR=Blue]Rauwshan McKenzie obtained as 53rd SuperDraft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.23.08: [COLOR=Grey]Eddie Johnson to Fulham FC for allocation money[/COLOR]
    01.24.08: [COLOR=Blue]Pat Healy obtained as 11th Supplemental Draft pcik.[/COLOR]
    01.24.08: [COLOR=Blue]Vincente Arze obtained as 25th Supplemental Draft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.24.08: [COLOR=Blue]Tom Gray obtained as 39th Supplemental Draft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.24.08: [COLOR=Blue]Andrew Kartunen obtained as 53rd Supplemental Draft pick.[/COLOR]
    01.30.08: [COLOR=Grey]Will John signed by Denmark club.[/COLOR]
    ????????: [COLOR=Grey]Vincente Arze signs with the Whitecaps, doesn't show up to camp.[/COLOR]
    ????????: [COLOR=Grey]Andrew Kartunen opts to finish school, doesn't show up to camp.[/COLOR]
    02.19.08: [COLOR=Blue]Wizards acquire Ivan Trujillo from Deportivo Cali.[/COLOR]
    02.20.08: [COLOR=Grey]Wizards waive Pat Healy.[/COLOR]
    02.20.08: [COLOR=Grey]Wizards waive Tom Gray.[/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not entirely true. Healy and Gray were the only ones that came to camp. Vincente Arze signed with the Whitecaps and never showed up, and the goalie we drafted is finishing school.

We also only have 2 keepers and most teams are going to carry 3.

25. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ah, muchos gracias for the clarification.