Kansas City Wizards 09 FAIL Thread!

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Beech, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't blame the owners for what? Having to move out of Arrowhead? Probably can't blame them for that. The stadium deals that we've been working on? I think some blame goes with the owners as well as other people. The one constant in all 3 of our stadium attempts (OP, Bannister, Legends) has been OnGoal. Not saying that they are alone at being at fault, but they have to take some of the blame for it.

I've started to come around a bit to Dave's line of thinking. We can't go on forever not giving OnGoal their share of the blame because they saved the team from likely moving. I think we all recognize and appreciate those efforts but that was in 2006, over 3 years ago now. They can't be immune forever, they have to take a portion of the blame for there not being a stadium yet, they have to take a portion of the blame for their issues at CAB (berm blocking off, Cauldron issues, etc), and they definitely have to take a portion of the blame for the poor showing on the field, because in the end they're signing the check over to the league for this team that helps pay the players salaries.

2. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: That's a sure sign of the apocalypse, isn't it?

Just kidding......I agree with what you said. ;):D

3. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    If 2009 is a "FAIL", what were 1998 and 1999?

4. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    craptacular?

5. Evidica

Evidica New Member

May 19, 2008
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That new team smell still existed, so you couldn't smell the shit.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, you really could smell the shit in 98 and 99. We sucked 10 times worse than this team (comparitively).

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not making the playoffs is not making the playoffs no matter how you wrap it in a pretty box with a blue bow (with yellow piping).

8. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    I appreciate it, but credit or being right doesn't do much about tangible things, unless someone hires me to do something tangible. Again, not holding my breath.

Still, so things are clear, I'm not an advocate of blaming owners for things they can't help. Hiring PV and CO, both rookies in their positions at the time was always going to carry high risk. Noone in OnGoal has any experience in this industry much less in MLS. They dont know the game in any way and maybe still don't. So we fans have to live with that and hope evidence of a learning curve shows some up some day.

Not much has qualified owners to be able to make a quality decisions on really anything related to on field activities. Maybe some of them played some sport at some time. To view pictures of some of the undoubtedly smart men, the longest run-out some might have had the last two decades is to the brunch buffet line and back. At some point those folks have to decide and will have to again.

Point of fact: If those same individuals that make up OnGoal had this kind of performance with an asset associated with Cerner Inc., those individuals would have already been fired or moved to something more complimentary to their skill set. This would have been done without hesitation or second thought.

Part of Cerner's culture is to move people around to different jobs or departments to produce overlapping skill sets and better rounded employees. Tolleration of garbage performances is only done if there is another overwhelming benefit. In this case that benefit is obviously the real estate and free grab of tax dollars. Right now, it's about the money.

The difference to me is that I expect that. It just is. It has to be about money at some point. MLS isn't a charity, so, it should be expected.

What shouldn't be the case is repeated acceptance by owners of garbage performance, be it on field or off, by themselves or others they hire. What shouldn't be tolerated are decisions in absence of what should be obvious, that being the view of the customer. These are Fortune 500 men and women. It's well past time for the owners and leaders of our Kansas City Wizards to apply more of that hard earned expirtise to this organiztion.

Yep, right after raining frogs, I think.

See, a little at a time. Everyone listens to me eventually. Might take a decade or so, but you know, I'm not going anywhere. :)

The password is "regression"...

I'd also like to take the opportunity to selfishly point out that since the introduction of the yellow piping, KCW has sucked.

Seemingly the soccer gods have rendered their judgement about the 2000 uniforms at least twice now.

If I'm an Owner in the room, I push for changing the colors back to 2000 KC with full expectation that shooting will be 20-30 better next season in absence of any other extra effort. Maybe I also sacrifice by fire a few old DCU jerseys as well...couldn't hurt. :D