Kansas City - San Jose W.C. Semifinal Game 2 (Saturday, 10/30) pregame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will San Jose protect its 2-0 aggregate lead and advance to the Western Conference Final for the second straight year?

Will Kansas City pull a San Jose and come back after entering the second leg two goals down?

The Earthquakes shaking down any chance at getting dethroned? The Wizards conjuring up a magical upset to host the following week?

Discuss.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Payton

Payton New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    England
    Re: Kansas City - San Jose W.C. Semifinal Game 2 (Saturday, 10/30) pregame thread

Man i'm looking forward to this already. Sure to be a great game. Go Quakes! :cool:

3. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Kansas City - San Jose W.C. Semifinal Game 2 (Saturday, 10/30) pregame thread

Based on the season, you have to like the Quakes position in this up 2 goals. Play tough, organized soccer and we should be all right.

4. bluejaded

bluejaded New Member

Jan 26, 2004

Yeah, I'd love to be able to sit back and say, Yeah, we got it. But when we were down 2 last year, when we were down 4, LA fans were pretty damn confident...and look where that got them... We might be ahead, but we can't let up at all.

Never give up!

5. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well we arent LA.

And they aint us.

Your right though, anything could happen. But that doesnt mean our position isnt really strong right now.

6. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's gonna be a boot to the neck! Our very own 'rooney will be back and the SJ Azul will make kc look foolish in front of their own fans and likely national television again--best soccer in the league when we're on!!

prediction Quakes 2-1 !!

7. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

KC does not play attacking football. They are going to expose themselves to counter-attack alot next game--especially if we get an early goal. We need to make sure we don't go into a defensive shell. Let's come out firing!

8. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With a 2-0 aggregate lead, it would be easy to bunker down and have a lead. However, just to be sure, it would an even better idea to come out on full cylinders and start shooting the ball. KC is a more defensive minded team--they will have to go for broke and try to get at least 2 goals with the hope of advancing.

9. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View

I'll try not to worry about a KC comeback until we get two early goals next week.

Now for the sixty-four thousand dollar question.

If Richard is back and Ronnie is ready do they start, or do we keep the hot eleven on the field?

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My take is that Richard will be back, but not Ronnie. I asked him whether he would be playing next week and he didn't sound very enthusiastic as to prospects.
    What's that sound in the background? Is it spejic cheering?

11. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would use Mulroony and sit Corrales, even though Ramiro played a relatively solid game. He only had one "Oh my God, what are you doing" moment that I can remember -- a really bad pass to some Wizard, in our defensive half.

Corrales and Ekelund would be fantastic substitutes next week, just like we could have used some subs today.

Next question: Wasn't the limited info we saw last night saying that Richard might miss next week, too?

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is the TV information I have been able to gather:

MLS Direct Kick, live 5:30 Saturday
    Fox Sports World, tape delay noon Sunday

FSN Bay Area has college football 3:30 to 10:30 on Saturday, so unless they get it onto FSN's alternate channel, those are probably the only options.

Club Quake will have its official viewing party at the downtown Brit.

13. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They announced at the game today that the game wound be live on FSNBA. Does the Brit carry the Direct Kick package, or are they counting on the FSN feed? I suspect the latter...

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All the pressure's on the Wizards to start with, so if we get the first goal, they are gone. Their goose will be cooked.

I know I'd be tempting fate seeing that it was our team that rebounded from a four-goal deficit last year, but I can't see them coming back from being three goals down.

We have to score first-- and we have to score early. Easy as that.

15. SJtotalfootball

May 26, 2004
    The Hayward Fault
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is part of Friday's press release from the Quakes...

Earthquakes To Broadcast Game Two Of MLS Playoff Series Live
    On Fox Sports Net Plus On Saturday, October 30 At 5:30 p.m. PT

SAN JOSE, CA (Friday, Oct. 22, 2004) - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that Game Two of the home-and-home aggregate goal Western Conference semifinal playoff series against the Kansas City Wizards will be broadcast live on Fox Sports Net Plus on Saturday, October 30 at 5:30 p.m. PT. The match will also be available live on the radio on 1590 AM KLIV. Game One in the series is Sunday, October 24 at 2:00 p.m. PT at Spartan Stadium live on ESPN2, 1590 AM KLIV (English) and on tape delay on KZSF 1370 AM (Spanish).
    The Quakes long-time broadcast partner, Fox Sports Net, will air the game live on the Plus channel, which will be channel 33A or 77 in the immediate San Jose area. For a full listing of the Fox Sports Net Plus channel listing, log onto <http://www.fsnplus.com/>. The game will also be available via DirectTV on channel 655 and Dish Network on channel 446.
    John Shrader and former U.S. National Team star Peter Vermes will again team up for the Game Two broadcast from Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium.

16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As well as on channel 449 with the MLS Direct Kick Package on Comcast Digital Cable.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

17. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

Obviously, I'd love to see our guys come out and score an early goal but I'm more hopeful that they just won't bunker. Scoring goals is something you can attempt but can't guarantee. Bunkering is just stupid. I'd like to see the Quakes aim to do the one thing they CAN control without needing fate to intervene--play a great possession game like they did Saturday. KC can't score if we hold the ball. I'm not saying "don't try to shoot," I'm just saying they are in a great position to work for patient, slow builds to those shots...all the while bleeding the clock and making KC more and more desperate.

IMO, the Quakes play their best when they make good, crisp passes and knock it around the pitch. In KC, they'll have all kinds of space to do that. It would be sort of an "aggressive stall," if you will. DEFINITELY don't settle for +2...they need to continue to push for goals. I'm just saying patience plays well for us next Saturday and that's something that'll be running short on KC's bench.

GO QUAKES!!!**

18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just don't see us trying to bunker at all. It's just not our game, never has been. I think we'll come out firing and taking it to them.

19. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. Just like last game, as long as we put constant pressure on their midfield and vary our attack, we can keep KC on their heels. I would rather go down shooting than sitting back...

I would keep the same lineup except for bringing in Richard (assuming he is back). Dayak can be used as a sub if required.

20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I have seen some damned uninspired play from this year's edition of the Quakes, but I have NEVER seen them bunker i.e. they came to not get scored on. This team is not configured for that style of play, and I can't imagine we will see that on Saturday. Let's face it, this team is loaded with offensive firepower, and I expect we will see it early and often. San Jose has a 2-0 lead, and unlike the filth, this team knows how to hold on to a lead. I would not be at all surprised by a 3-1 or 2-0 win at Arrowhead for the good guys.

21. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I don't think we've found the silver bullet against KC. I'm not going to be sipping champagne and counting chickens as I watch the second leg.

On the other hand, this team has repeatedly demonstrated a post-season determination that is a level above what they give us during the year. (Some would say this is understandable given that regular season games don't mean all that much. This year the Quakes literally generated the exact minimum results necessary to get into the playoffs.) I'd say a tie is still the most likely result, but even if we lose the match at Arrowhead I don't think it will be by more than a goal.

I believe - GO QUAKES!

22. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS

Absolutely. That's what got them to the Cup last year and that's how they played yesterday.

BTW, did you see Landon slide tackle yesterday?!?! EVERYONE was getting aggressive!

23. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004

Our defense is pretty solid but I just don't see us bunkering at all. The midfielders will run and the forwards will bring it to the net. If we show up like we did yesterday at KC, we're going to be difficult to defeat.

KC does have the home advantage. I don't see them taking this sitting down so it should be a heart attack type of a match on Saturday. Like I said on the other thread, they will throw the entire house on us this weekend!

24. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ronnie and Ian sit, Corrales goes out left and Richard plays.

If Ching starts limiping lets hope he actually gets subbed this time rather than DeRo

25. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Corrales on the left, and you have me worried.

Corrales on the bench, 2-1 Quakes in OT.