Kansas City - San Jose (Saturday, 9/20) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beerking, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Not only did Donovan pick up the first hat trick ever by an Earthquake, I saw Noah Elliot in the stands cheering him on:D

2. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    Kansas City - San Jose (Saturday, 9/20) during-game/postgame thread [R]

Attendance was a hair above 30k.

3. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

WOOOOOO GREAT job by Donovan!!! Finally he scores a hat trick. Well-deserved I must say!!! GREAT JOB QUAKES!

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  5. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hahahaha Yallop ignores all the BigSoccer advice and comes away with a 4-1 win!

Landon Donovan, who many wanted in the midfield for this game, scores the first ever hat trick for the Quakes! Whooooooohooooooooo!

All four goals very nice. And a great long range shot by Ekelund. Nice save by Onstad in the 87th minute to thwart a beautiful KC buildup on the goal.

Gutierrez overall played well for KC on defense. Preki shut down by an assortment of Quakes defenders.

GO QUAKES!

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
  7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT DID I SAY!! This is great!!

Thanks for a great game, guys. The PBP was awesome! and all the added commentary.
    I've got to get off now, my daughter is demanding the computer. :( Thanks for a fun night.

8. drewb

drewb Member

Jul 11, 2001
    S'vale
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, Yes! First hat trick!!! Thank you Landon (Ramiro, DeRo, Ramiro, et. al.).

9. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    So much for San Jose coasting into the playoffs. They came into today's game on fire, especially Landon. Not a single player had a sub-par game. Looks like DeRosario is back folks; he and Donovan had it on all game (well at least until DeRo got subbed out).

Lots of good stuff. Quakes scoring on fast breaks, defense solid with Eddie in charge, people taking some shots from long range, Donovan playing to his potential....

10. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington

great game by our guys!Landon was on his game from the get go.Also a awesome game by De Rosario and Troy looked solid,but Eddie was also very solid.Do the quakes have a dilemma on who do you start on central defense when Goose is 100%?can Eddie or Troy play right back?go Quakes!

11. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hats off to the full squad tonight. Thanks for some very entertaining football.

12. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some player by player commentary:

Donovan - First Quakes hat trick, what can you say. His finishing was clinical, precisely place and very deceptive.

DeRosario - Had 2 good plays, and a whole lot of fugly ones. Could have had 2 goals, but butchered opportunities. Does the nice assist make up for it? I dont know.

Corrales - Played pretty good. Made some nice creative plays, but I dont think he made himself available to teamates well.

Ekelund - Nice run to draw a defender on the first Donovan goal. Played good defense, and got into the attack from time to time effectively.

Mulrooney - Nice assist on the Robinson goal, kind of like Ekelund, played good defense with the occaisional offensive foray.

Mullan - I thought he played very well on both ends, made a couple of nice passes that DeRosario did nothing with.

Roner - Played well, got cauight a bit to far forward a few times in the first half.

Robinson - Played a strong game in central defense.

Dayak - Very nice game in his return.

Dunivant - A bit of a rough game for him, as he got caught giving too much room to attacking players. Had some poor distribution at times, but didnt always get great support from his teamates.

Onstad - A couple nice saves, wish he would have done better in preventing the rebound on the Klein shot, but cant fault him. Solid and controlled his box as always.

13. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    A completely dominating performance by our boys that has been long overdue. The team came out of the gate flying, pressuring the Kansas City defense, and connecting with each other on crisp, effective passes. Kansas City rarely threatened in the first half, and the defense neutralized them to taking shots at the top of the eighteen.

What has been the team's problem all season was put to rest tonight. After their first goal I was afraid I would see a repeat of their last game against Kansas City, in which they took an early lead and sat back for seventy minutes. This did not happen tonight. As the second half started, the team looked even more determined to score, a very reassuring sign.

There were some noticeable lapses in the defense for a stretch of about fifteen minutes, from about the fiftieth to the sixtieth minute. Preki was very successful at drawing Dunivant and Dayak off the ball and being allowed time to send in crosses. Ultimately, the threat was neutralized and the problem corrected. Kansas City posed few challenges after their goal.

Something I took away from tonight's performance was DeRosario's play. He looked much improved from what we've seen this season. He still has alot of work today in some regard. For example, he must have been on the end of three or four great passes that left him in a one-on-one position with Meola, and he blew every chance. However, what this means is that he drew defenders off of Dononvan and the other midfielders, and posed a constant threat throughout the game, exactly what we've wanted from him since he's been healthy.

If DeRosario's form continues, I suspect that we'll continue to see Landon put up the kinds of numbers that he put up tonight. The reason is simple: much like when we had a healthy Ching, DeRosario draws defenders away from Donovan, creates space, and gives Donovan more room to work in the offensive third. We saw the fruits of his work tonight, here's to hoping it continues into the playoffs.

14. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Re: Kansas City - San Jose (Saturday, 9/20) during-game/postgame thread [R]

But the way Roner played today, no reason to replace him. Goose is fine just resting, he and Eddie will be back next game. Remember Dayak is just coming back from injury and not really ready to play full time yet. He played a "minimum" kind of game today.

15. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    FINALLY!!, the Quakes first Hat-trick! Congrats to Landon and the squad today as they played a solid match. It looks pretty promising going into the playoffs doesn't it?
    Go Earthquakes!!

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Kansas City - San Jose (Saturday, 9/20) during-game/postgame thread [R]

This may be heresy, but you know Im wondering a bit if the Quakes may not be better with Agoos on the bench in the long run. Its a tradeoff between footspeed and guile, and Im not sure that ultimately the defense would be better off with 2 central defenders that are able to cover a lot of ground. Then again, the loss of a player like Agoos could weaken the organization of the back 4.

Its a good problem to have. First time this season that all our defenders should be ready to go.

17. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Great hat trick by Landon!

Good, well-rounded game by the whole team. At times, a bit of a hackfest by the Wizards, with the referee not taking control to protect players, but the Quakes played through it and stuck it to KC.

Can't blame Onsted for the goal-he stopped a point blank shot (just like Landon's first goal), but was forced into a rebound. If anything, blame Dunivant for pinching in too much and leaving Klein open on the flank.

Very entertaining game, too. Much better effort than that terrible game against DC.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POST OF THE DAY!
    I'm happier than a pig in sh!t. This is almost like winning the Championship. I had to go out and scream in the neighborhood. :D

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Kansas City - San Jose (Saturday, 9/20) during-game/postgame thread [R]

Nope, sorry, don't buy that crap. D was fine, we've got several excellent combinations. Dayak and Goose out there will still be one solid set. There's nothing wrong with the combo Frank put out there today either.

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp As we already know by now, the final score is:

&nbsp&nbsp[​IMG] &nbsp&nbsp [​IMG]
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 1 &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp 4

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp You can read a recap of the game here.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes!!!!

Greetings to all from KC! I chose a good one for a little road trip.

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Spoiler Alert regarding today's Dallas-Chicago game...

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp ... 2-0, Dallas win.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Meaning, of course, that the Quakes are once again in the driver's seat in the Supporters Shield race! :D

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

23. PaulChild

PaulChild New Member

Jul 3, 2001
    SF Bay Area
    Also Present

I thought it was real nice that Landon's ol' buddy Jimmy could share the moment--up close and personal--all three times.....;)

24. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Great road effort. The only guy IMHO that seemed to be having an iffy time was Ramiro, who had a few rough touches but nothing that cost the team. Cool to see the hat trick after alll these years.
    His save on the Preki free kick earlier (where he weakly flicked it over the crossbar when it seemed he could've simply caught it) was a lot scarier. On the goal, it looks weak in slo-mo, but in real time, the initial shot was hard. Onstad had to dive, it's 50-50 at best whether there should've been a rebound. Dayak fell down, and Robinson let Arnaud cut in front of him to get the rebound. In real time, it was bang-bang.

Funny how Pat could potentially get a Triple Crown (wins, GAA, shutouts) and still not get the keeper of the year award because of how scary he can look at times.

Props to Noah E, who as mentioned was there. The Channel 2 sports (10:55 PM) just showed the highlights, giving special mention to Landon's hat trick and showing Noah, who represented in KC in full colors w/scarf. Nice.

25. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not even that I would want him to control it, its more that I wish the rebound didnt go directly in front of the net. The rebound went to the worst place possible.

But it was a tough shot to block, I cant blame him for not handling it well, as just getting to it was a signifigant effort.