Kansas City - San Jose (Saturday, 7/27) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Goodsport, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    It was Brownie that missed Cisco's pass in the box.

All he had to do was wait for it to come to his right foot and he puts it away, but he tried to take it with his left and missed.

2. Omahacrew

Omahacrew New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    This is the first game I made it down to this year, have a question? What is up with all of the poor corner kicks, they were flying clear across the box to the far side, no one even had a chance at those. Has this been a problem all year or just an aberation on Saturday? With a little better finishing they could have made that game ugly early but it was still a fun game to watch they looked good, hope to make it down again.

3. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The corner kick thing is *not*, I reapeat, *not* an abberration. Happens all the time. Very irritating.

4. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hehe, we could hear the "OVERRATED!!!" chant on TV. I bet the teenage groupies gave you guys some dirty looks. :D Donovan did play like crap.

5. Defender

Defender Member

Joe's Plumbing 86ers
    Feb 16, 2001
    San Francisco CA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be glad they aren't on your boards as well. Really aggravating. Maybe get Igor to bleach his hair? :D Did KC do any promotions about LD and KC together? Linking the two?

6. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can the coaching staff not be aware that Preki's corners have been crap? I know that we can't be the only ones who notice...

7. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that'll get them back to the stadium, having some dude yell at your kid because he likes LD.

Let's scream at more of the Landon Teenys so they feel welcome at the next Wizards game! Sheesh.

8. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    1. Im not a dude. Im a girl, he was probably 10 and Im 14 so its not like Im some old psyco scareing the crap out of him.

2. Its not screaming. Its called a joke because I laughed and smiled while doing so...the kid didnt seem offended either.

9. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    whatever Joe, that poster is a 14 year old girl. REAL intimidating.

Whoever asked, there was some cross promotion: They raffled 10 Landon bobbleheads to complement the Tony Meola bobblehead night. Couldn't tell you about advertising, because I live outside the target market.

AFA set pieces: we suck on set pieces. Except Talley. One thing the coaching staff really needs to take a look at.

10. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Funniest thing I saw all night:

There was a guy in the front row of the Cauldron with red hair and a US Nats white kit (the new one). After the game he was looking for signatures. He tried to get DeResario to sign it. DeRo looked at him and just laughed and walked off. I had a good chuckle at that one.

As for the game, how exciting was that?! All the assesments are spot on, I just wanted to point out that Saturday was one of the most exciting games in the last two years. Cauldron is awesome, and growing!!!

11. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I don't know you. I have no idea if you are a girl or a guy. I'll I know is what I read, that you yelled at some kid that LD sucks, and in the same breath you wish some of the LD fans would come to Wizard games...get my point?

2. You didn't state that it was a joke or that the kid didn't seem offended. You wrote that you yelled at him. That's all.

12. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I was to know this because...? And you know this because...? I'll make sure I check the background of every poster here first before I respond. The point is... (s)he yelled at some kid wearing a LD shirt, and in the same post wishes some of these people would return to Wizzer games. I took the post at face-value.

13. LSNsoccer362238

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Yes I get your point...next time I will say it more clearly

14. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I wasn't trying to pick a fight...especially with a 14 year old! I thought you were an older psycho dude who enjoyed yelling at kids...have fun and show your passion for you team!

15. LSNsoccer362238

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    ah this amuses me. I didnt think you were trying to pick a fight...and if you were, rest assured I would do fine because I have gotten in trouble quite a bit for having a mouth ;)

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    When the first corner of the game is a "short corner", then you know we've got problems. I always felt that short corners should be used like bunts. They're normally horrible, but when used sparingly, and in the right circumstance, they can be very effective.

17. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    CJ also said he agrees with 8 teams in the playoffs and that in his opinion the league doesnt seem like they want to change it. in his veiw he sees the number of teams in the playoffs staying the same with expansion. he didnt agree with my statement that the regular season games sometimes meaning very little could keep fans from the game. he didnt really comment on whether he agreed with me that regular season games mean very little.

CJ stated that even if a situation occurs in Mexico as with Santos they will still play the game and file a complaint after the fact. I asked what came of the complaint from the Santos game and CJ replied "Very little..." Not very encouraging words for me.

18. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    got a good chuckle out of the "run for it" comment when talking about refusing to play the game if a ref situtation came about again in Mexico.

19. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    to let me clarify, he said that we would not run for it.

20. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the game again on tape we sounded really good Sat night. Almost like there was an atmosphere at the game. Wacky!

21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  22. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    I don't agree with you either. For starters, "fans" as you put it don't stay away for any reason. People having a little knowledge, little enough to have the mistaken idea regarding regular season games as "meaning very little" are pretty much core fans that go to every game they can (like most of us on this board).

I find it hard to believe that anyone makes a point of staying away solely because there are playoffs in MLS. Three things with that statement. First, there may be somebody. If so they need to wake the hell up, playoffs are far and away a good thing, every league should have them AND CUPS. Second, that somebody has a pretty good chance of being a "Eurosnob" type that would only be happy when MLS is a carbon copy of the EPL. Even then, they will root only for their continental team. MLS never will be EPL and thank God for that small grace. Third, even if the regular season only eliminates no teams and just creates seeding, by definition the regular season has a purpose. Think broader in scope. Think of a 20 team league. 12 teams in playoffs of 20 would put the playoff percentage at roughly that of past NBA and NHL seasons. Eight puts it on par with the current NFL. To build high you must first have structure and foundation.

I agree with 8 teams making it all the way up to 18 teams. Then 12 should go.

One change that would be to the betterment of MLS would be to not have teams have 3 weeks off between games so less stretches of SAT/WED/SAT would have to be played. In most MLS cities anyway, there isn't too much difference between a saturday in March and a Wednesday in July. The Sat in March would probably be better attended. Start a week or two earlier with home games in the warm weather cities and play the cup Nov 1ish, wouldn't hurt either.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, there'll always be Buck-a-Brat Wednesdays in Columbus! Maybe once the Wizards get a SSS and control concession revenue, they'll be able to do some creative marketing to get folks out to mid-week games.

24. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I know this because I'm a regular to this board, she's a regular to this board, and she's mentioned it time and time again. Also, not to be insulting to her, but you can tell from the intonation, style and wording of her posts that a.) she's not an adult and b.) that she's not being entirely serious.

You just like to criticize every little thing on this board that you can, don't you?

25. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would agree with that.

No, not every league has to have them. MLS is an American league and play offs are expected. So sure MLS should have play offs. But it's OK if I prefer a league system with no playoffs. Just a preference.

Not necessarily. You shouldn't generalize in this way. There are playoffs in England for promotion from the lower divisions. I am from England as you know by now and I do not think MLS needs to be a carbon copy of the EPL. It needs its own identity but I do think it needs to mirror the world game in terms of overtime, I do think that needs to be abandoned. But we had the argument about draws already in an earlier thread.

This got to me. I lived my first 27 years in Liverpool and followed them all over Europe, such as the 1984 European Cup final win in Rome, I was at Hillsborough when 96 of my fellow supporters were killed right in front of me. But living in the US for 11 years and in the KC area for the last 6 years I am a Wizards season ticket holder and even attend away matches when I can. Case in point I am flying to DC for our August 10 match. I can and will support both teams equally. I believe in supporting local teams, and supporting the game in general. Don't base your opinions of what other people think by what is stated on the rivalry threads.