kansas city pre/post game (R)

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by dashiel, Oct 11, 2003.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    did i miss it? kansas city pre/post game

bad news is:

LOS ANGELES GALAXY – OUT: D Scot Thompson (L torn ACL), M Sasha Victorine (R fractured hip); M Antonio Martinez (L knee torn meniscus); QUESTIONABLE: F Alejandro Moreno (R knee sprain); D Ryan Suarez (strained lower back); PROBABLE: M Guillermo Gonzalez (strained lower back); F Diego Serna (L knee sprain); D Danny Califf (R hamstring strain);

good news is:

INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: LA: Simon Elliott (New Zealand, v Iran Oct. 11

in not so sure news:

though it's not on the site, apparently tyrone is gone too

---

looks like sigi is going to be scraping the barrel tomorrow to get us 11 starters and 5 subs.

f it, rest cobi, rest fish, rest hartman... we're gonna lose anyway.

1. away game
    2. couldn't beat em at home
    3. missing half the team

2. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's strange. I thought there was a thread already as well.

Anyway, according to this mornings LA Times, things are even worse.

Galaxy Limping to the Finish - LA Times

According to the article Cobi(!!!!!), HMB, Danny, Ryan, Memo, Broome, Diego, Moreno, Simon and Tyrone all are out.

That's 10 players, though not all regular starters.

What's left? Kev in goal. Alexi, Ricky and um....who else do we have fit that can play at the back?

Fish and Torres up front?

Guess we may see Jesus and Herc tonight. Martinez, Cien, Chris and Pete are all that's left available in the midfield.

Counting Dan, it looks like Sigi may only have about 3 subs available if all this is accurate.

3. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A case to expand our roster and call up some OC Blue Star players. Man, if we tie, it's a miracle.

4. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    well it might put to rest some of the "play the new blood arguments" one way or antoher.

5. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    wow...what a line up

3-5-2

Gato
    Califf Lalas Lewis
    Albright Memo Ochoa Vagenas Broome
    Fish Serna

Subs
    Cien
    Herc
    Moreno
    Popik
    Torres

I'm gonna laugh if this lot wins

0-0 12 minutes in

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

...and in the 13th KC goes up 1-0

7. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    1-1

Fish ties it up on a PK in the 67th

in other MLS news, Ronnie O'Brien has stepped onto the field for the Burn at the Swamp. Good to see ROB back playing

8. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    we lose

again

2-1 Wiz

Igor Golden Goal

9. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    FVCKING BULL$HIT.

goal is disallowed for being a mile off-side... and then re-allowed.

one of the worst decisions i've seen in MLS.

10. GaLAxYcHiQ5

GaLAxYcHiQ5 New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Home of the GaLAxy!
    The Ref Today

What the hell was wrong with that ref tonight?

11. MarkA

MarkA New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    SoCal
    Pretty typical of MLS refs as a whole.

They must figure since we’ve got an AYSO coach, we want the ref’s AYSO rejected to go with him

12. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the pass that led to the goal was not an offside pass as the pass was square and not forward. The only place in the play an offside could have been called is when the original pass (close to offside) that hit the post was made but it was judged to be a shot, I guess, but the rebound, then the pass was all legal, unfortunately. :(

13. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bitter, Bitter, Bitter. Ccheck the replay agian Wolves is right. It couldn't have happened in a worse place either becuase that was right in front of us and we let the linesmen with his flag up have it have it. Where was Cobi? I had a gift for him incase beer went flying his direction. :D

14. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Spoon and Wolves are absolutly right (well I thought it was a back pass, but without the benifit of replay, I will trust Wolves that it was square). You physically cannot be offside if the ball and player are even or in front of you. Not offside.

Besides, with the way you were playing you didn't deserve to win anyway. You bunkered for 70 minutes, then hacked away. Pretty boring game, if it weren't for my favorite Russian.

15. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lethargic match for the most part. Ruiz's PK (ho-hum) barely raised my interest, but that OT goal was some crazy stuff to figure out. Until I can get a good review of the replay, it looked like a legit goal.

16. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Why Sigi is still playing 3-5-2 system is still a mystery, it hasn't worked all year.

A 3-5-2 or a 3-4-1-2 system was very popular back in 2001-2002 seasons, Brazil, Italy, AC ROMA, LA Galaxy, Korea etc., used it.

Only Brazil and LA Galaxy had success with it in 2002, and all others didn't.

However, nearly all opponents have figured the 3 back system, and now find it easy to score against it.
    Also, the system is weak when it come to attacks from the flanks.

Hence, all most all have gone back to
    a 4-3-1-2 or 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1 system in 2003,
    but Sigi has not, and the results speaks for itself at the Galaxy.

3-5-2 doesn't work !

It's time for a 4-3-1-2 system (it's good for the defense and it's good for the offense )

17. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not the system - its the players.

To start with, Sigi didn't have 4 healthy players to put on the back line, so there is some rationale for the three man back line.

The system is "so easy to score on" that it held KC to 1 goal in regulation - not exactly a sieve when we are playing a very substandard group of players anyway.

18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The way you were playing" was mostly dictated by the grossly diluted roster, with call ups and injuries cutting down any options on personel or formation. And, no, with that group of players we don't deserve to win in most A-league games. What a surprise.

19. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone see "MLS Wrap" yet?
    What was their take on the overtime goal?

20. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Sure, KC were held to only one goal in regulation, but I give a lot of credit to Hartman who was huge for LA. Also, KC had several chances that could have been more dangerous had we actually put some shots on frame. LA, however, had very few chances at goal, and most were feeble, including El Pescadito acting like his namesake. (To be fair, Preki tried drawing a couple fouls right out side the LA box in the first half that Stot rightfully waved on.) LA fans: take solace in the fact that next season might be better for you, as I doubt very much you'll survive the onslaught that San Jose will rain down upon you in the first round of the playoffs.

21. Hoje

Hoje New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    LA
    they said the referee made the right decision regarding the ball coming off the post - there was no offside. Klein, however, with the first shot may or may not have been offside, but it was the referees call to make, which he eventually ruled as onside. So Harkes thought the overall decision was sound.

22. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I'm well aware of that, and mentioned it pre-game on the Wizards forum and in the parking lot before the game. I even conceeded it after the game in the Wizards forum. That doesn't mean you should have won, it's just an excuse for how pitiful your team looked. I'm not trying to troll or flame, I know how it goes. But you don't deserve any medals for losing with a reserve side.

Good luck against San Ho in the quarter finals...I can't wait to get revenge in the semis for last year's BS in the playoffs.

23. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Not sure about MLS Wrap's take on the OT goal, but this is from MLSnet. (Note especially the last paragraph below.)

http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10112003_LAKC&version=recap

"The golden goal came in the closing moments of the first overtime period, as the Wizards took a restart from near the penalty arc. Midfielder Chris Klein made a dummy run over the ball, maneuvering into position to pick the up Preki’s pass. Klein lashed a low, hard shot through traffic, cleanly beating goalkeeper Kevin Hartman, only to see his shot ring off the base of the far post and carom back out into play.

Klein collected his own rebound and, left unattended behind the Galaxy defenders, played a square ball across the mouth of the goal for Igor Simutenkov, who easily tapped it into the gaping net.

The play was ruled initially ruled offside, since both Klein and Simutenkov were well behind the last Galaxy defenders. However, [after] a consultation with the Assistant Referees, referee Kevin Stott overturned the call and awarded the golden goal to the Wizards."

There you go. The goal was perfectly valid within the rules of the game.

24. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    that means sh!t.

We were robbed. plain and simple.

25. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any question that you'll have to wait for your revenge at least until next year?

We may as well wish you good luck against SJ now, as we've gone from desperate to pitiful.

Topper

:D :D

And yet I say.....

GO GALAXY!!!

REDEEM THYSELF!!!