Kansas City Gooners

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Brian71, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Gaf might be interested in hosting matches, but I need to get an idea of interest. So, if you'd show up early on Sat. morning, post it here.

Thanks.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    my girl goes to ku, im gonna come visit her this year if i can

be cool to see gooners in the mid west lol

3. KC_Gooner

KC_Gooner New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Red State Misery
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested. Currently living in the Gaf's neighborhood up the street in Brookside, so it's real close. We're moving to PV,KS in the fall....but still would make the drive early if it's available...

Thanks for looking into it.

4. KCGunner

KCGunner New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would make it for some games (esp. those not shown on FSC). Thanks for checking this out for us.

5. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm bumping this because I'm going to be in KC this weekend. anywhere to see matches in KC? Won't be able to see the saturday ones, but could use some brunch/breakfast on sunday before I head to the baseball game so please post if you know a place that will be showing the sunday match (Chelsea/United). Oh, and where should I get some BBQ at?

6. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to, but we play on Saturday mornings. Maybe if you showed it on tape delay :)

7. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could have sworn there was a listing the pubs thread. Give that a search. Also, I heard of a place in KC, Kansas that is supposed to be good. I don't know if they show matches, but may be a good pub for drinking afterwards.

Llewelyn's Pub

8. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Go to the Majestic Steakhouse for an incredible steak. Sit downstairs in the live jazz area for dinner. Fantastic.

http://www.kansascitymenus.com/majesticsteakhouse/

9. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i don't think anyone actually gave any locations in the pub guide thread except you and you mentioned Llyewelyn's. I think we are going to try The Gaf since it is closer to the hotel. I've got some emails out

10. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. Also, I'll ask Leigh where to go for BBQ. She's from KC and should know. I'll also find out about some nightspots as well.

11. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    while looking at an old thread on KC someone posted that Jack Stack's is really good and a little more upscale, plus it is nearish (i.e. walking distance) of our hotel, which is in Westport

12. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dan, I grew up in KC and there is but one and only one answer to this question. Anyone who tells you to go anywhere but the Original Arthur Bryant's has lost their marbles.

Arthur Bryants BBQ - 18th and Broooklyn KCMO

13. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    hahaha, we'll have to check it out.

14. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If you are coming from Westport, it is on the way to the Stadium.

15. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think I've been there and it was good.

Also, check out Kelly's for a pint or 10. I think it's in Westport. Actually, here is the link! I remember you can buy really big cups of beer, which is fun.

16. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    and...here is a good drinking bar for you. I closed many a night here in my day.
    Kelly's/

17. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look up!!^^^^

:D

18. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Yeah, all this makes me miss home a bit.
    It's been a long time.

19. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    we are definitely going to hit up Kelly's. we can stumble back to the hotel from there

20. Bighorn

Bighorn New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    41.8 Lat -87.68 Lon
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Have one for me, Dan.
    Enjoy KC.

21. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only been a few times with Leigh to visit family, but I've had some fun times there. I really enjoyed Kelly's. My kind of bar!

Have a good trip Dan.

22. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    will do. I can't wait for it. long drive, but whatever. BBQ, beer, and baseball. can't beat it :)

23. midwest_kc

midwest_kc Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AB's, and Gates are the 2 places that I always hit up when I go back home. Kelly's is a great bar also, plenty of bars there in westport, though depending on what you're looking for.

24. Auerbach-Plexi

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Oh yeah, Gates BBQ is awesome. But be very cautious when you go to certin locations, because some areas are not very safe at night. You will see a security guard at the front door in each location. Do NOT go to the one located at
    10440 East 40 Highway, Independence, MO not very safe at night, you hear gun shots, see dope pushers, and hoes around the area.

I'd recommend the one located at
    3205 Main
    Kansas City, MO or

1026 State Ave
    Kansas City, KS

If you decide to go to Gates, I HIGHLY recommend "Beef and half sandwhich", which is a sandwich with huge stacks of thinly sliced beef brisket. Try that with their hot & spicy BBQ or their orginal sauce. When you order that make sure to say " as lean as possible please"; otherwise, you might chew some pieces of fat. I have been going there for years. I just had their beef brisket (beef and half) just the other day, the meat was so tender and juicy. Definetly, one of the best and one of the oldest BBQ establishments in KC. Their original sause is unique in that it isn't too sweet, not like KC masterpiece, which I think it is too generic, boring, and too sweet. Gates sauce is very smokey with some sweetness and taste different spices. I think their pork ribs are OK, but what makes Gates so good is their sauce and beef brisket.

The other place I recommend is Jack Stack.'s BBQ. Definetly more expensive and more upscale place to go. Great food, sauce is not as good as Gates I think. I'd recommend Crown Prime beef ribs, which is kinda expensive, but awesome. It's HUGE.

anyone gonna watch the game tomorrow in KC?

25. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    we're just looking for a place to hang out and drink a lot. Kelly's looks like a winner.