Kansas City at Montreal (Sat July 9, 5:30PM CST) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenDover, Jul 5, 2022.

1. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If past performance is any indicator of future results, the line-up for SKC will probably remain the same as last week. The only changes could probably come with Zusi and/or Ford getting healthy enough to play. Montreal is coming off two consecutive losses, but still is third in the Eastern Conference. They score a lot of goals (32 so far) , but also allow a lot of goals (33 so far). This doesn't bode well for SKC since 1. they are playing away from home, 2. they have only scored 16 goals so far and that doesn't look like it will improve, 3. they give up as many goals as Montreal; 33. The last match these teams played was in 2019 with SKC putting 7 in the back of the net. Don't expect that to happen this Saturday.

2. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Shelton's fault.

Might as well get that out of the way now, rather than later.

3. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or old and tired Zusi got burned sometime after the 75th minute or Fontas played traffic cone on a counter, or no number 6, or...

4. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Melia is slow off of his line, or Duke trying to dribble through 4 defenders and getting dispossed, or Roger picking up a stupid red card or, .......................

So many possibilities with this years squad.

5. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The power rankings are out for the entire league. It will be a tough away game for SKC as Montreal are ranked 7th. But never fear, SKC is ranked 28th, just above Union Omaha.

6. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    On a more scientific note, fivethirtyeight.com shows Sporting with a whopping 2% chance of making the playoffs, the next lowest teams, Houston and Toronto, are more than 3 times more likely at 7%. Sporting is projected to finish with 34 points. The seventh place Western Conference team, FC Dallas, is projected to finish with 49. So all the team needs to do is get 34 points in their last 15 games, and then go on a playoff run. Who is on that bandwagon? If Vermes can’t face this reality and start planning for next year (except for the US Open Cup), they will have missed a great opportunity to evaluate the other young talent that hasn’t gotten to play much yet. I suspect fivethirtyeight.com would give Vermes the same odds as the team to capitalize on that opportunity.

BenDover repped this.
  7. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    ugggggggggggg

Since I've already accepted that this season is over...this is the most tragic part of this whole thing.

8. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play the kids. Please.

IASocFan repped this.
  9. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have really never paid much attention to the odds from the betting houses, but it might be kind of interesting to see just how close they get. Obviously, they have Montreal coming out on top of this one, and don't even think the odds are good for a draw. I think they are spot on with these odds.

CF Montreal -130
    Draw +275
    Sporting Kansas City +310

10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Is Ozzie back from injury yet?

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

12. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking back as far as May 18, SKC has lost 7 of their last 8 games games by just one goal (Except Seattle -3). That would indicate that the defense is doing better, but the offense is just not getting their part done. That is in no small part due to the center forward being completely inept in his job. PV just terminated the loan with Vuj so he has no options to back up Shelton so expect to him to go 90 today. Is nothing better than Vuj? Is this another Mauri type decision? SKC look to be married to Shelton until an unproven and really unknown Agada arrives. We really don’t know if this guy is a baller, but at least there will be two 9s on the roster to choose from.

13. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I can't wait for Agada to come in and barely see the field. (posting this here to hopefully create a reverse jinx whereby he comes in and lights the world on fire and replaces Shelton)

dgb09 repped this.
  14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Vujnovic was still hurt and wasn’t going to start anyway. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t try a false 9 with Hernandez, Duke, or Tzionis or put Salloi there.

The likely answer though is Shelton for 90 again and pushing close to 1200 minutes with out a goal or assist.

15. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, the false 9 is really the answer. Any of those guys could produce an assist or put the ball in the net. Put Shelton on the bench and try it, it couldn’t possibly be any worse than almost 1200 minutes without a goal or assist. But,,,I’m afraid the PV / Shelton bromance will go on, much to the delight of the Montreal fans.

16. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Is Hernandez your preference at the 9? New arrivals aside, I don't know that we have a player who fits there well.

Aside from moving wide players central, the only guy I can think of on the squad who could bolster our attack, classic enough, is Zusi. It's not ideal, but without Kinda and Thommy and Pulido and Agada... Maybe a front three of Salloi - Russell - Zusi could work better than what we've been seeing. Plus as Graham was generally always more of a wide midfielder, he would be helping provide cover for the Duke/Hernandez/Pierre youth show behind him? Of course he's obviously not a 90 minute solution.

I dunno. To me a false 9 needs to be a playmaker at heart. And we honestly don't really have one of those on the squad either.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Russell in the middle negates his best skill set, especially the way KC plays, of running at defenders and cutting in.

18. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best option that I see as a false 9 is Salloi. You can shuffle the deck any other way behind him, but he is the other playmaker besides JFR that can score consistently.

dgb09 and kcfooty repped this.
  19. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, crazy starting line up and a 4-1-4-1,,,,, I hope I am reading this correctly. Walter, Rosell, and Roger in the middle? Hmm, What is PV thinking?

20. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweat just got skinned and turned inside out. 1-0 Montreal.

21. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would have guessed we’d give up an open header on the back post.

22. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Left back got skinned in one v one defending, right back didn't track far lost runner.

23. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing we all have in common, we all have as many MLS goals and assists as he does.

24. Kooth

Kooth Member

Sporting KC
    Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great play by Roger to get that goal.

25. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011