Kaiserslautern Sign Lancos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Zak1FCK, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaiserslautern signed Chistopher Lancos (former U Maryland player) until 2007 to play on their amature team. Kaiserslautern II (amatures) play in the Bundesliga 3 Regional South.

Anyone know anything about him? Is he any good?

US-Spieler zum FCK II
    Für seine Regionalliga-Mannschaft hat der 1. FC Kaiserslautern mit US-Spieler Christopher Joseph Lancos (21) von der University of Maryland einen weiteren neuen Akteur verpflichtet, der in Abwehr und defensivem Mittelfeld eingesetzt werden kann. Der U 17- und U 20-Nationalspieler erhielt einen Vertrag bis zum 30. Juni 2007. Zuvor waren in der Winterpause schon Stanko Pavlovic vom 1. FC Eschborn und Thomas Klasen von Eintracht Trier zum Team von Trainer Hans Werner Moser gekommen.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I watched him with Maryland and thought he was precisely the kind of player who would benefit from some European seasoning out of college -- he didn't appear likely to leap right into a MLS lineup. This seems like a good match. He's a big outside back with some skill.

3. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was drafted in the MLS Supplemental draft #41 by Real Salt Lake. This strikes me as maybe a better option and certainly the pay must be better. Good luck to Chris.

4. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Wow, this is great for Chris. Hope he develops well over there and comes back to MLS to spread the wealth of knowledge.

5. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Does Amateurs have a different meaning in Germany? Not trying to be snarky, just wondering if this a reserve team where the players are paid, or a genuine amateur side of young players and hopefuls?

6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I believe it's the U-23 reserve team that plays in the regionalia(sp?)

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lancos is a big, strong, skilled right back who's about as fast as a glacier. If he had any speed to speak of he'd have been a first-round pick in the MLS draft; as is, he lasted til the 4th round, and probably wouldn't have made the final roster because of his lack of athleticism.

8. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Yes. They're paid.

9. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semi-pro might be a better term in this case.

10. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they are paid, it is a reserve team. They are currently playing in Bundesliga 3 Regional South (two regions in 3rd level), which is as high as they can go since they are a reserve team. They can be relegated to lower levels.

I think this is a good move for him. If he plays well he could move up to the Bundesliga side which is in desperate need of defenders.

11. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, we look forward to your updates on his progress! (You will be giving updates right?:D )

12. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    by the time he would move up, however, the Bundesliga side will be 2. Bundesliga, which is still a nice level of play.

13. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    He's not THAT slow. He's not Beasley or Frankie fast, but reading the various remarks around here in the various threads you'd think he couldn't move at all. He plays with a good game speed though, and I feel that is more important than being able to run a 4.4 40. On the field, he's almost the walking definition of a wingback. At Maryland they play a 4-4-2, and Lancos was the right back. However, he regularly pushed forward into the attack, both down the wing and cutting inside. His crossing was top notch as well. I'd say his biggest problem was focus on defense. At the start of his junior year he was tried at center back and his side just got torched repeatedly. He'll have a few lapses on defense, mainly positionally, but his tackling is adequate.

He'll have to improve to make the first team there, but right now this is probably a good place to refine his skills.

14. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With their new transfers there is no way they will be relegated.

15. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for all the info guys. I will pass on his progress, but it is difficult to get info on the Amature team.

He should learn a lot on this team and maybe in a year or two play in the top flight. Should be a great learning experience.

16. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he is as slow as you say he is he never would have been signed by a European team. He may have played in the MLS, even started, but a lack of athleticism does not work in the Bundesliga at any level.

17. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but he apparently still could have had a bright future in Norway.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, for now he's not playing in MLS or the Bundesliga. He'll get his start in Germany's D3. From there I suppose it's up to him.

19. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    This country is hemorrhaging young players to Europe. Its becoming hard to keep track of them.

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    You are joking, right? :confused:

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's not that hard. There's a list on top of this forum.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Or Belgium ... or Denmark ... or B-liga 2 ... or ...

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Interesting that the guy at 'Lautern seemed to leave door open for Lancos to play this spring (so it seems to read) in BL1 IF he plays well at D3...

Cory Gibbs, part deux..:)

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lancos must of really impressed at the trial or FCK are really desperate. I imagine its a combo of both. What's really interesting is that they will play him as a DMF. I guess it has to do with ability to move forward in the attack. If he attacked from the back at Maryland, it should ease his transition from FB.