Kaiserslautern Interested in Joshua Grenier

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Zak1FCK, May 27, 2008.

1. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw this over the weekend:

Article in German

2. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    His contract with TuS expired, so I assume he is trying to catch on with someone.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grenier could be a decent addition to FCK. He is out at Koblenz that's for sure. He was a two year starter and helped lead Koblenz into the 2nd Bundesliga. But this past season (his third) I believe he was hit with the injury bug. He found it tough to get his spot back and susequently lost it for good when Koblenz did not renew his contract.

5. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He actually spent five and half seasons with Koblenz:
    1.5 seasons Oberliga
    2 seasons Regionalliga
    2 seasons 2. Bundesliga

http://www.fussballdaten.de/spieler/grenierjosh/
    http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/spieler/8787/grenierjoshua/transferdaten.html (shows arrivial as Jan 2003)

ps His old coach Milan Sasic is now at FCK

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, didn't realize it was 5 years. I guess it was three years ago that I became aware of him. Interesting that his old coach is at FCK. He must of made an impression on him and that probably bodes well if FCK offer a deal.

7. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this article from May 27, he had an offer from Kaiserslautern but turned it down in order to try his luck in MLS.
    http://rhein-zeitung.de/on/08/05/27/sport/r/tus-1.html?markup=grenier

When the Lufthansa plane 420 takes off from Frankfurt and lands in Boston at 19:55, there will be at least one passenger on board who is getting ready to start a new chapter in his life. It has to do with Josh Grenier, who has been wearing the Koblenz jersey since 2003 ...Grenier is leaving the TuS as the last remaining player from the Oberliga.

Ultimately, the chance at a new start in Kaiserslautern did not win out over the desire to return home. "It would have been exciting in Kaiserslautern with my old coach," said Grenier referring to the offer from FCK, "but at the end of the day I wanted to start from the beginning at home."One deciding factor on returning to Boston was that Grenier plans to settle there with his fiancé. In Boston "Jägerermeister-Josh," his nickname from the Koblenz fans, hopes to continue his career in the US professional league MLS. Grenier has hired an American agent but doesn't have anything to report yet: "I expect to find something, but the money has to be right."

Of course, this article is almost two months old, so no telling....