Kabul. Deja Vu all over again?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by usscouse, Aug 13, 2021.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    US troops are going back to help with the withdrawal. The UK Parachute Regiment are going back. (My old mob) Some awful planning and underestimation of the Taliban. The UK pulled their interpreters out a while ago. The US are embroiled in paperwork. Even after some have been beheaded.

Meanwhile as the Taliban sweep forward unhindered by Afghan forces. the biggest deterrent, the one that theTaliban has no answer to, is the US Air-force. Where is it.?
    It’s not looking good at all.

059EC250-976C-467E-AB76-81694B06F794.jpeg

charlie15 repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Let's stay forever!

Moishe repped this.
  3. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 NORML, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    please think/say a prayer/acknowledge what our soldiers, gov't employees, workers, afghan allies, and those in between are going through

yr post @usscouse made me go back and listen to an NPR series from 2010 on the USS Kirk and it's actions on the final days of Vietnam

part 1, part 2, part 3

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Definitely agree a million percent with this.

NORML repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not like anyone could see this coming, the moment the US would leave the country. Feels like such a waste of energy, resources, time and lives (among other things).
    Everything that was done in the last 18-19yrs, just poof about to go up in smoke-all for nothing...

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    7-2-1 is still a first-place run of form.

7. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    On the bright side, all the Maga Hats who were bellowing about Trump ending endless wars will be sure to respect and applaud Biden for ending this endless war.;)

Deadtigers, KCbus and onefineesq repped this.
  8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    What has he ended exactly?

Not a "MAGA hat", but I sure would love it if he stuck to his guns on this, but we know that's not likely.

9. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    What exactly are you thinking he would do at this point? The country is almost entirely under Taliban control already, he’d have zero international support for diving back in and outside of a few grumblers the american populace has no stomach for another war.

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I hope you're right. I really do.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 2 losses?

And what is our form since 1946?

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #12 SamScouse, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Biden is facing the obvious / inevitable. Afghanistan is ungovernable. Britain tried and failed to control it, Russia tried, now you guys. there is no option for western nations except to step away. yes it is a horrendous thing to contemplate but just wtf is the alternative?

unless you guys want to go 100% all-in by flooding it with god-knows-how-many troops and proclaiming it as your 51st state that is.

Canada and the UK are also getting their people out asap and closing down embassies.

dapip, celito, Deadtigers and 1 other person repped this.
  13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada to accept 20,000 afghans refugees.

This whole cluster******** makes me sick to my stomach. Can't see any good option at this point. There is enough blame to go around too, from Bush to Obama, TFG, Biden and the successive Afghan presidents & leaders (as corrupt and incompetent as ones can be). There "peace" agreement pushed by this clown Pompeo last year was a complete disgrace.
    I feel so sad for women, minorities and others regular afghan who will have to live under the thumb of taliban regime. Ahmad Shah Massoud must be turning in his grave.

dapip, song219, Deadtigers and 4 others repped this.
  14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Much the same for the rest of NATO forces there.
    It’s a mess that isn’t going to get better any time soon. IM (not so) HO. It could have been handled better. A lot of it was trusting the Taliban comply with the withdrawal agreement. Yeah! Good plan.

like I said earlier one advantage if the Taliban forces their hand, is air superiority over thin skinned vehicles. Give them a line to stop at, or use it.

Can only imagine what the Afghanis are feeling right now. These are not nice people moving in.

dapip, Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yeah but those cave-man bastards would just load up their vehicles with kids hanging off the outside and breeze through.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Paul Wolfowitz was just on the radio. He seems to think that nation building is the solution to this problem

dapip, Deadtigers, Mike03 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Oh yeah. The spit comb guy:

wolfowitz-comb1.jpg

DMaster and Deadtigers repped this.
  18. Cop Shoot Cop

Cop Shoot Cop Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Now there’s an idea. And it can be the model for expanding US values and relationships through the region. By gum, I wish I’d come up with this idea, say twenty years ago.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I am puzzled. I thought that posters were in almost complete agreement that the U.S. should cease its Middle Eastern military involvement, from the lefties through the libertarians.

Apparently I was wrong ...

dapip, Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The ********ing BBC talked to Petreus as their first instinct.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Is something here convincing you otherwise?

22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #22 Q*bert Jones III, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    I'm fine with us leaving.

I'm just really bummed about the millions of people who "collaborated" with the US and the millions more who have vaginas. If I was God, I'd set up a virtual bridge to get every single person who doesn't want to live in a fundamentalist theocracy out of the country before the beheadings begin in earnest.

By the way, it's a constant source of anger for me that the word is "be-heading" which implies that someone got a head and not "de-heading" as it obviously should be.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people bitched that we were there, some of the same people will bitch that we betrayed the people of Afghanistan by leaving.

Well 20 years didn't help the afghan people figure out how to run their government, more time would do nothing.

Maybe if the islamist concentrate in just fvcking their own citizens and not outside people they will be left alone to run their version of Islamic paradise.

I have seen some European tweets worry about refuges, but is not like they are willing or able to do anything about it. Europe in many ways is more fvcked up than we are.

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I cannot think of to what you may be referring as precedent! On the other hand, now that it's the Right Person doing it, maybe those people feel backed into a corner and they will try to ride this out.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem really goes back to Bush. This was all about the war and nothing about the peace. I remember back then many questions about how the opium trade would be reduced or eliminated, and how working with the warlords was the solution (give them a ton of cash to burn their product). Seriously, that was the answer? No, once the warlords gained legitimacy, that screwed any serious legitimacy the US could ever try and gain.

Once that was the case, no matter what we did, nothing stable would come of it. And nation building will not solve the problem. Our version of what is right and true is culturally different than theirs. It will fail.

fatbastard, dapip, Doogh and 3 others repped this.