Juventus in the Coppa [R]

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by SueB, Nov 18, 2004.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Here is the list of players called for Juventus' debut Friday vs Atalanta in the round of 16 of this year's Coppa Italia:

Ferrara, Tacchinardi, Legrottaglie, Ibrahimovic, Nedved, Chimenti, Iuliano, Birindelli, Appiah, Blasi, Thuram, Bonnefoi, Kapo, Olivera, Zalayeta. In addition, 5 primavera players were called: Masiello, Rossi, Bentivoglio, De Cellie, and Volpato. Masiello is a defender, Bentivoglio is a midfielder, and Volpato is a forward. I don't know about the other two kids.

I'm guessing the starting lineup will look something like this:

Chimenti

Birindelli Ferrara Legrottaglie Iuliano

Olivera Tacchinardi Appiah Bentivoglio?

Kapo Zalayeta

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 11/19 - Coppa: Atalanta vs Juventus [R]

Don't forget that the game will be showin live on RAI International at 3pm est

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    La Gazzetta is saying Nedved will start (sort of surprising, to me), so there goes my hopeful inclusion of Bentivoglio. I hope at least a couple of the preemies get a chance to play.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Re: 11/19 - Coppa: Atalanta vs Juventus [R]

And if you don't get RAI International, the game will also be shown on the web on a slight delay (approx 4:20 pm EST, following their live Serie C game):

www.fastweb.it/streaming/raisport.asx

5. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    FINAL:
    Atalanta: 2
    Juventus: 0

A big upset for Juventus...

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Not particularly an upset, since it was Juve's B team (aside from Nedved). But still a disappointment. 2-0 is difficult to overturn - against any Serie A team. The return leg takes place Jan 12, between the league games vs Livorno (home) and Cagliari (away). If the league is still going well, hopefully Juve will be able to play some regulars and make a real push to win it.

7. delp_07

delp_07 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Sue you really want us to win everything this year huh. Lets see if we can win intercontinetal championship to.

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I don't really care too much about winning the Coppa - it's just that losing to Atalanta at the first hurdle would be sort of unbecoming for a club like Juve. I guess the Intercontinental Cup is probably gone next year, to be replaced by FIFA's World Club Championship. It certainly would be cool to be the first winner of that. :)

9. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    NIRVAAN does want to see JUVE conquer all before us!!!

Well not to be overly critical or technical, but i'll school u kiddies a bit.
    If memory serves, there already was the first installment of FIFA's World Club Championship stage in Brazil in around 1999-2001 or so.

Manchester United & Real Madrid (1999 and 2000 UCL winners respectively) represented UFEA but wilted in the Brazilian heat!

Final was an all-Brazilian affair between Vasco Da Gama & Corinthians with Corinthians winning eventually on PKs.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    "Kiddies"? Thanks a lot. I remember it, but the difference was that there was still an Intercontinental Cup which was really recognized by the clubs as the world championship. I guess what I meant was the first official World Club Championship which REALLY crowns the club to be considered world champion (instead of the Intercontinental Cup).

BTW, the worst thing that happened in yesterday's match was Nedved got a little banged up and had to leave the contest. He might not be available for the CL match this week.

11. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Read bout the lil Nedved knock on Football Italia. He shouldn't played, i think the primavera players with the reserves would have a great impact.
    As much as i dislkie Man Utd and Arsenal, the way they use their youngsters in Cup play to 'blood' them in is great, builds their character and playing level and they are much hungrier than first team players, who maybe reluctant to give their all and that may inadvertently lead to injuries!

Intercontinental thing, i'm sure your right but just wanted to show a lil bit of my football viewing experience!

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Second leg takes place on Thursday. Sounding like Trezeguet will be available and should play. I think Juve ought to be able to score two or three times to make up the 2-0 deficit vs Atalanta - the bigger challenge will be not giving up an away goal as the defense has looked poor in the first two games of 2005, and I imagine folks like Montero and Ferrara will be playing again.

13. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Saying we don't want to concede and putting Montero in a starting role is shooting ourselves in the foot.

I'd say that Trezeguet'sfirst game to return to ask for goals or rather demand is harsh. I'd actually use this as measuring stick for Del Piero, give him 90, he's looking pretty good and i think confidence can be restored by some goals, which i feel he is capable of delivering!

I want the COPPA ITALIA, so lets see the comeback boys!

14. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    Is this at home for Juve?

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Yes. So there will probably be a handful of fans there.

The game will be shown via tape delay on RAI International at 4:30 pm EST.

BTW, argh, I just got notice of a $3 monthly increase in the subscription fee for RAI International from Dish. :mad: They will be adding RAI Radio service, but that's small consolation since I can already listen to RAI Radio on the net.

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trezeguet has started the match, other than him the lineup is completely made up with the bench players.

So far at the half the score is

Juve 2-2 Atalanta

Appiah made a terrible blunder passing the ball back poorly and right to the Atalanta forward. Juve's first goal was an own goal.

Barring a miracle, Juve are out of the Coppa Italia.

17. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FINAL

JUVENTUS-ATALANTA 3-3

MARCATORI: al 4' pt autorete Natali (A), al 10' e 43' pt Lazzari (A), al 33' pt Zalayeta (J), al 34' st Trezeguet (J), al 46' st Lazzari (A)

JUVENTUS (4-4-2): Chimenti; Birindelli (10' st Zebina), Tudor, Montero, Pessotto (27' st Del Piero); Olivera, Tacchinardi, Appiah (10' st Camoranesi), Kapo; Zalayeta, Trezeguet. In panchina: Bonnefoi, Ferrara, Del Piero, Blasi, Masiello. Allenatore: Capello

ATALANTA (4-4-2): Calderoni; Rivalta, Natali, Capelli (1' st Sala), Bellini; Motta, Mingazzini, Bernardini (27' st Albertini), Marcolini; Lazzari, Sinigaglia (35' st Budan). In panchina: Taibi, Innocenti, Montolivo, Migliaccio. Allenatore: Rossi

ARBITRO: Ayroldi di Molfetta

NOTE: Serata fredda, terreno in buone condizioni. Spettatori: 4.822 per un incasso di 30.130,00 euro. Al 33' della ripresa espulso Tacchinardi per gioco violento. Ammoniti: Motta, Olivera, Mingazzini, Zebina, Albertini. Recuperi: 1' pt e 3' st

Aggregate Score: Juventus 3-5 Atalanta. Juve are out of the Coppa Italia.

18. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    25(?) mins into the second half or so, where there was a scramble ont he goal line w/ Trez and a defender.. didn't the ball cross the line???

I am very very pleased Trez scored.. it could have been 3 (one almost beautiful goal in the first half was a miss by him, and the goal line scramble should have been the other).

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Video evidence wasn't clear on the goal line scramble, but some nearby observers apparently thought it was in. Some random comments.

Guess I was right about the defense not being able to hold Atalanta scoreless, but giving up 3 goals? Unforgivable.

The second-string midfield was just as bad as the second-string defense yesterday. Not only was Appiah's blunder terrible, but Ruben Olivera had a horrendous game. I'd liked what I'd seen of him before yesterday, but he couldn't make a cross to save his live - on free kicks!

And please, get rid of get rid of Tacchinardi now. He was plain awful and, to make matters worse, got thrown out of the game just as Juve made it 3-2 and still had a modicum of hope. I'm not sure what happened, but Del Piero was also partly to blame. As the third goal was scored, instead of running straight back to the halfway line, he got mixed up with a couple of Atalanta players. I didn't see how Tacchinardi got involved, but I assume it was coming to Alex's defense.

Only bright spots were Kapo's performance on the left wing and Trezeguet's return to action. I thought he had two goals, but the first turned out to be an own-goal.

If Juve's second string can't beat ATALANTA's second string, I hardly think they have the depth to compete and win on the two remaining fronts.