Juventus–Cesena postponed after tragic incident

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Matteo4Azzurri, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Game night!

Deschamps’ men take on Cesena at the Olimpico tonight and there’s good news from the treatment room with the respective returns of Trezeguet and Zanetti, along with Del Piero. Birindelli and Balzaretti are back having served their suspensions, though Nedved is still unavailable after the disciplinary board refused to reduce his ban.

Deschamps was not giving anything away as far as the line-up was concerned but he did confirm that, “more than eleven players will be involved” in the three games scheduled over the next seven days. There will be a carnival atmosphere once again at the Olimpico tonight, with 13000 Bianconeri flags to be handed out before kick-off.

As always, there will be plenty of entertainment for the fans, with the “Meet the Legend” competition (with all proceeds going to the ‘Crescere Insieme al Sant’Anna’ fund) and the giant Juventus quiz returning to the big screens.

2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Re: Juventus – Cesena

The match has been called off as two Beretta players, 17 years of age, drowned this afternoon on the training grounds as they tried to retrieve balls that ended up in the lake nearby. Please remember to keep the two lads in your prayers.

3. Drogo

Drogo New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Sweden

:( rip

4. Matteo4Azzurri

Sep 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

My heart sank when I heard the news just a few minutes ago :(

R.I.P.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Oh, man. This is devastating. 17 years old.

My hearts go out to the families of Alessio Ferramosca and Riccardo Neri.

Not to take away from the sense of sadness, but ... the incident sounds a little strange - "The teenagers drowned in a lake at the Vinovo training centre in Turin late this afternoon, apparently when trying to recover some footballs that had fallen into the water during the team's Christmas party."

It was during a party? But nobody saw them in trouble? I suppose they must've wandered off from everybody else, and it was probably dark. I'm guessing one kid got into trouble, and his friend tried to save him.

Whatever.... very tragic.

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

Okay, if I'm translating properly, it sounds like this "laghetto" (50 m x 30 m) was covered with a tarp or something, so they must've ventured out onto it. I've heard of this happening with pool covers. They go onto it thinking it'll hold them, but they sink and get trapped inside with no way to escape.

Horrible.

7. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Italian News reported they went to recover a soccer ball that had rolled into the lake. One kid fell in, and the other probably tried to help him and was dragged in too.
    Vinovo is now closed. Juve is training at the Comunale.
    Ferrara tried to release an interview, but he was crying too much. Rampulla took over, and said that one of the two players could have been Juve's future Buffon. They both were in the national Team's group as well.

How f--king unfair. :(

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

The "lake" was fenced in and covered with a tarp. Ferrara was quoted as saying this was the worst day of his life. Must be (almost) like losing their own kids for these guys.

I wonder if the original report of this happening during a Christmas party was wrong because I haven't seen anything else about that.

Tomorrow would've been Riccardo Neri's 17th birthday.

9. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey

what a sad story. its a shame that these kind of things happen. i fell so bad for both families and my heart goes out to all of them.

10. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    My condolences to Juventus, and the families of these players. What a shame.

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Now that I've seen this "laghetto", I don't think it was covered with a tarp as I was supposing. The slope down to this thing was VERY steep, and the part closest to the water was painted cement or some other slippery surface. It was long and narrow, and must've had a very steep grade underwater as well to reach a depth of 5 meters. It was right behind the goal at one end of the practice field. Seems like the two probably continued to practice shots/saves after a training session, and there must've been a high errant shot - over a very high fence right behind the goal and another smaller fence around the lake.

12. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    R.I.P ragazzi.

13. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    terrible for any team or family to lose two so young especially so close to christmass....my thoughts and prayers are with you and their familys.

14. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Such a terrible event, I remember scratching my head curiously after finding out that the match was suspended (I have RAI International).

What a terrible, terrible end to such bright young talents - and not merely because of their playing ability. It is a travesty in general having people die like this, may they rest in peace, and may their families cope with this tragedy in peace.

15. tim10

tim10 Member

May 23, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    RIP.

It's unbelievable how quickly you can go, 17 years is all they got.

16. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You can send messages to the families of the two kids by mailing at:

juventus@juventus.com

nothing can undo the tragedy, but, perhaps, to receive many messages from all over the world will console a little bit those poor parents.

17. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]
    Alessio RIP

[​IMG]
    Riccardo RIP

[​IMG]

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe one of the boys was set to turn 17 this past saturday, a day after his untimely death.

20. bineaz

bineaz New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Illinois
    My heartfelt condolences to the families of these boys. A terrible thing to happen.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Very sad news for these kids.
    Il lutto lo avremo tutti!

22. Borussia

Borussia Member+