Justin Che at ADO Den Haag on loan from Brondby

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    That American won’t be there for long if he keeps this up. There were already a ton of eyes on CR. He will be at Bayern next year, or someone is going to make an offer that is to good to refuse.

2. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I don't know that it will be too good for BM to refuse but CR is going to demand first team footie. He'll want to be sold if he's not a top 3 option for BM. If he keeps playing well someone will offer a respectable amount and he'll leave.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  3. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #178 Ray Shoesmith, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    The kid already had a lot of eyes on him before this season, a lot of very good clubs, and I believe there was a very good EPL offer last year.
    You are correct. He is going to want first team ball, and he is going to get it somewhere. May not be an offer to good to refuse, but he is going to get offers. If he finishes strong, and Bayern wants to keep him, but he isn’t ready to start for them, they may throw him a nice raise and extend him. That may price a team like Hoff out, even on loan, unless they make the CL and use some of that cash. Either way, he is good. He has a future. He will be playing at a decent level somewhere. Hooray.

4. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Hoffenheim is a great situation for Che and the loan with a buy option is fantastic. Can barely think of a more ideal situation for him. If he can bust in before the end of the season or slide into Richards’ spot for the first 15 games or so of next season (if he’s not back in Hoff) he has a real shot to get on the plane to Qatar given his versatility.

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very surprised he would make it to Qatar as a CB or even a FB. For CB he would have to beat Brooks, Long, McKenzie, and Ream.
    His best chance to get to Qatar is beating out Acosta as the backup #6, and I don't think GB will even give him a shot at that position.

6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a big fan of him when he played in the USL... I watched every game he played in 2020 for North Texas and I never saw him play CDM. He started as a RB and then graduated to CB. I think he played CB for Bayern II and I know he only played FB for Dallas (which bummed me out). I want to see him play CB.... he is just not ready to compete w/ the guys you listed. It is a difficult position to master especially when the team you are playing for plays you at RB. I would be shocked to see him in Qatar.

gomichigan24 and twoolley repped this.
  7. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Agree with this. But more likely he is there as RB/CB hybrid than a CDM. That is 100% unlikely based on his playing history.

8. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    It’s good for the clubs in Europe, but IMO it’s not good for the players. With this setup, Hoffenheim and Feyenoord get very good looks at the players, but the small financial commitment means that they won’t feel an obligation to really develop them. It’s easy to imagine a situation where the player doesn’t hit the ground running, or gets a big injury, that the coach stops really considering him. And if the player isn’t successful, then he comes back 1.5 years older, and has to go back to square one in trying to get European attention through MLS. Both Che and Bassett should be far from their peaks. We see a lot of guys going over as teenagers, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with going at 22-23. The situation needs to be right to find success, and I don’t view any loan that doesn’t include a buy obligation as a good deal for the player.

9. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    That’s assuming a loan can’t be terminated. If there isn’t much hope for the kid then why keep him? Maybe I am being naive, but I assume there would be provisions to end the loan/change the agreement. It might be better than going over with no leverage on a free. Right?
    What happens if you pay a fee, and MLS is asking more now and the id flops. He is buried anyway with nowhere to go. Right?
    MLS teams can also possibly sign kids who want to go the USl root and maybe get something for them. I think it give a bit more flexibility
    to everyone. With a move overseas there is always a risk.

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I don’t see much merit in these MLS first team players going on loan for 1.5 years to European teams.

I’ve never seen anything like it.

Im happy to have more YA to follow but these circumstances don’t give me the warm fuzzies.

11. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Terminating a loan would not be a positive outcome in any regard. It might help the player get out of a jam a little sooner, but it would still mean that the loan was a failure.

there’s always risk with a move. You minimize the risk by making sure the most important conditions are met. If a club makes a significant financial commitment, it means they’ll have more motivation to give the player opportunities. And if the player is well-established in MLS, and moving to a level that’s not too big of a step up, he’s more likely to have the skills and confidence he needs to succeed. I do think that Feyenoord is an appropriate step up for Bassett, I just don’t like that it’s a loan. Something as small as a coaching change or a 3-4 month injury could completely derail things. I think it’s way too early for Che to go to a club like Hoffenheim. I’ll be surprised if he gets regular playing time for them over the next 18 months. They might still buy him if they see potential, but it would likely still not be a big fee, and would mean spending 1-2 years in an academy, or on loan in the 2.Bundesliga. Both of which IMO would slow down his development.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  12. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    McKennie to juve was originally a “loan”. I think while a lot of these have technical options to buy they’re closer to a permanent transfer than the word loan indicates often. I hope I’m right lol.

13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I believe that was an "obligation" to buy whereas the Sands, Bassett and Che loans have been reported as "options"

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  14. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #189 Ray Shoesmith, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    I get all of that. I’m just trying to explore all of the other options and possible reasons. Maybe I am trying to hard. I think Basset is making it coaching change or not. Che is a much riskier, but all reports stated he wanted out. If MLS does not let him go, or only is offered a nominal fee and doesn’t let him go, maybe the next kid goes USL. It’s probably just my business experience but I can’t help but believe agents aren’t tossing what Gomez did, or what Henry is doing, in kids faces. Remember these are kids. They see a lot of young guys having success, so of course they think they can have it also. There aren’t any draft mechanisms, or agreements with the college game, to hold them back. This is a world market. Teams like Frood, and Hoff have been hit real hard, so maybe after these last shut downs they just can’t do it (risk it) or aren’t willing. If the player really wants to go teams may have to get creative. I’m not advocating for these moves, I just know there are reasons behind them. We are living in “new times” so to speak and things will change quickly. If this was business as usual then I would probably be railing against this type of deal, but this isn’t business as usual. Again, maybe I am trying to hard, but things happen for a reason, and we may not know the whole story yet. Just a thought.

15. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    For sure as of right now he’s way on the outside. Just meant that this type of move opens up a path. What if he plays in 25 matches for Hoffenheim between now and Qatar? Folks are discounting that there‘s the beginning of next season to break in too and the fact is that more guys will be injured than at a normal WC (where you have the end of the season and then a camp instead of 1 week) which will open up the end of the roster potentially. Think there will be a couple guys who are unexpected that get on the plane. Time will tell with Che — maybe he’s not ready for the level and he stays glued to the bench with only cup appearances, hard to say.

16. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...-completes-loan-deal-to-juventus?platform=amp

Says option.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.st...n-mckennie-loan-juventus-schalke-04-usa-usmnt

says option.

however this says obligation:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tr...udes-obligation-to-buy-clause/amp/news/369308

So, I’m hoping that even if it is an option that it’ll have to do with certain performance criteria that will lead basically to an obligation.

17. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I like this if he gets first team playing time this season (even if it’s only 200-300 minutes). Although I don’t think Che developed the same relationship that Richards did with the Bayern II coach that would give him a better shot at first team playing time.

I’m guessing Che would fit in as a wingback if he did get first team playing time.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's how Juve operates for whatever reason. Kean is on 2 years loan with obligation to buy for predetermined price.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I'm getting very strange vibes from Che, starting with "I might play for Germany" and with this "Get me out of here". Might be another Soto case.

20. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    It could be. Again, a kid. The more talent we produce, the more prospects, the more will hit, but we will get plenty of basket cases also. There will also come a time, maybe sooner than we think, where we will lose a high quality player to the likes of Germany, Spain, France, etc, more often than we could think possible. Things are changing fast in the soccer world. Hell, who knows what MLS looks like after 2026.
    It’s been very interesting.

21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Che is so far away from playing with the German NT. Youth Team? Sure... maybe.

Ray Shoesmith and theboogeyman repped this.
  22. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I recall a long time ago, probably while perusing the net with regards to US prospects, more than likely right here, that Sebastian Lleggett said he would love to play for the Argentine Nats. He was maybe 16 or 17. The outrage was sad and amusing. The thoughts, naïveté, and dreams of a kid were plain to see.
    Back then we were desperate for any prospect that showed ability.
    Now? Whatever. Good luck, prove it and either way on to the the next one.

Winoman repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shirt display = deal done:

Welcome to the #TSG, @JustinChe6

The 18-year-old USA junior international Justin #Che is moving from @FCDallas
    to Kraichgau, initially on loan until June 30, 2023. In addition, a purchase option was agreed.

24. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    this is great! Hopefully this loan is as positive as Richards have been.