Just need some advice...

Discussion in 'Player' started by deVil_X, Dec 20, 2008.

1. deVil_X

deVil_X Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hey all

I have a friend who plays for BATE Borisov (name might sound familiar to some of you, they were in the CL this year in the same group as Real Madrid, Juventus and Zenit). Anyways, he's had a rough career so far due to Belarussia being hugely corrupted.

I should specify that I live in Montreal, Canada. Would you guys know what the steps he would have to take if he wanted to make the move here (North America)? He is desperate to get out of Belarussia and doesn't know where to go. It's very difficult for him there and he would love to either move somewhere better in Europe or try his luck in North America. He's 19 by the way.

How much of a chance does he stand of making it here? What is the best way he can go? And what's the best place he can go? Any advice you can give would be very helpful.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he wants to play in the U.S. he will need a sponsor for his green card. The only way to get a green card is to be able to do a job that other Americans can not do. This would be pretty easy in the case of a professional athlete. All he has to do is get a team to say that they will 'hire" him and the green card is his. THe hardest part will be getting on with a professional team. Hopefully he has an agent. If his agent is worth his salt, he will be able to get in touch with pro teams over here to get him trials. Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. deVil_X

deVil_X Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

That's the thing though, he's currently looking for an agent. He's just not sure how things work in North America so he's not sure how to find a good agent. How do agents contact clubs anyways? Do they just call them and tell them they have a player they think they'd like to see?

Thanks again.

4. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I would start with whoever the closest A League or MSL team is to you.. try to call them via a link on their website or whatnot. Tell them what you told us (and emphasize that he has played recently in the UEFA Champions League).. I'm sure they'd be HAPPY to continue the conversation and take care of anything for you/him.

5. deVil_X

deVil_X Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thanks man.

I'll give it a try, nothing bad can come from it. The issue is with his team actually letting him leave, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Thanks again.

6. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    This is wrong. He needs an H1B to be employed and live in the united states. The green card comes later. H1Bs are a lot easier to get than greencards - they depend upon a business sponsoring you (though obviously there are other conditions as well). At team saying they will hire you is enough to get you laughed at.

Depending on how much you like your friend, I'd recommend consulting an immigration lawyer. Canada has more relaxed visa conditions then the US and is often used as a jump nation to get to the US.

As for an agent, he should already have one if he's actually playing professionally.

--Me

7. deVil_X

deVil_X Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's the thing though. He does't have an agent. His contract is finished in the summer and he wants to leave, but his club are forcing his hand. It's convenient for them to have a good player that doesn't complain and that they don't have to pay much at all.

He's trying to come to North America but VISA is too complicated. They don't treat him well at the club but it takes a lot of planning and paperwork to leave a country and settle down in another with huge risks.