Just Located: Black & Red Yearbook 1978

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Gunnersaurus, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From the G. Rex archives, a treasure. A 1978 yearbook (list price: $1) of the Diplomats. There are no color photos - only Black and Red.

Cover photo is Jimmy Steele congratulating Kenny Mokgojoa (on what I hope was a goal), with Tommy O'Hara and Paul Cannell approaching from the background.

Three kickers:
    1) Bobby Stokes. At least he's watching RFK from the Great Skybox.

2) In the background of the aforementioned cover photo appear to be the SE/Barra sections. I can't quite pick out a (youngish) Grillmaster, however.

3) Included on the roster was then- Dutch youngster and now former- South Korean World Cup coach Cus Hiddink.

Also featured: a Bud ad with an astonishingly young Lou Rawls. Oh, and Gordon Bradley used to have quite a mop. And if Alex Pringle wasn't the inspiration for that potato chip guy, I'm at a loss.

Final kicker: the back cover photo is the team in front of the E Capitol Street facade of RFK. Eerily similar to the 2000 DCU team photo. With one exception: it looks like (current dean of baseball broadcasters) Jon Miller is standing at the right-hand-side of the photo. I know he did the radio games around then, but... such a head of hair!

Let me get my cane...

-G. Rex

2. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow--such memories. I always liked Ken "Race Horse" Mokojoa. Those names bring back a lot of memories. Thanks for sharing this G-Rex.

3. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow. More responses like this one, and I may have to post the roster. Perhaps scan some photos. Provided, of course, the scanner can handle both Black and Red...

Hint: This is a hint...

-G. Rex

4. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    "The Dips are alive and kicking"

RFK was one of the few places I could buy beer underage. I used to take a bus to RFK from Dupont Circle because the subway did not run to the stadium yet.

The 35 yard offside line, the red, white and blue ball, the playoff deciding "mini-game", games on astro turf, 50,000 at a game vs the Cosmos in '80. Soccer Bowl '80 and my favorite team aside from the Dips, the Vancouver Whitecaps.

"How can you take a team seriously with the name Dips"--Shep Messing, Diary of an American Soccer Player, which was published in the early '80's if I'm not mistaken.

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    All this before I was born.

6. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    same here bud. But remember, the future of soccer in American is up to us, therefore all the older guys should give us money.

7. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here... but maybe I need to get one of Dips shirts they sell on the web... like Lebron and his throwbacks

8. Gunnersaurus

Gunnersaurus Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Jurassic Period
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    TH19 - Hannibal crossed the Alps before you were born, too. Bubonic plague swept most or Europe before you were born. The US beat England in Brazil before you were born. D-Day was before you were born.

What, like everything has to happen in your lifetime? I hope you don't get hit by a bus, because it'll be real boring for the rest of us once you're gone.

:)

-G. Rex

9. RFK 315

RFK 315 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    ...lurking...
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never Mind the Whippersnappers...

I, too, have fond memories of the Diplomats - I would go to the matches with my Soccer On The Hill team. Would love to see any scanned pages from the program, if only I could find my reading glasses...

No Respect, these kids today. Why I was rooting for a sorry soccer team at RFK before you were born !

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Re: Never Mind the Whippersnappers...

Sounds like something I'll be saying in the future to my kids.

11. gmuscar

gmuscar New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    dc