Just for fun squad for 2006

Discussion in 'England' started by Through-Ball, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Through-Ball

Through-Ball Member

Feb 8, 2002
    I was getting bored so I did a "just for fun" England lineup for WC 2006. Bear in mind, I am not very well-informed about the up-and-comers in England, but I thought what the hell...

3-4-3

Robinson
    Mills - Ferdinand - Cole

Thompson
    Beckham - Gerrard
    Scholes

Rooney - Owen - Heskey

Subs:
    James
    Smith
    Richardson/Vassell(?) (pick)
    Heargreaves/Dunn/J.Cole (pick)
    Greening/Butt (pick)
    Dyer
    Sinclair
    Neville
    Terry
    O'Shea

I am sure I am forgetting someone obvious (no, I left out Campbell on purpose), but that looks like a damn nice squad to me. That left-side is a bit under-manned, I suppose, though.

I hate to jump on the Rooney bandwagon so soon, but after 4 years of EPL experience and some work on the NT, it's not hard to see how much better he can get. Plus, he'll be a spry 21 or 22 by then.

I chose Thompson just because with 3 in the back you must have a dm and I feel he has the most upside of any of the possible dm's. Although, with the midfield they have at Blackburn, I think Tugay(iirc)takes this position more often than Thompson, so he may be better suited for the left or center-mid position by 2006. If so, he may not make it in the squad.

In any case, there it is just for kicks...

T-B

2. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Sorry but O'Shea has played for Irelnad I think. He'd be worth considering otherwise.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    O'Shea

Looks like you're correct, despite the fact that he was born in Watford.

http://www.manutd.com/bio/bio.sps?iBiographyID=3319

4. Through-Ball

Through-Ball Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Oops. For whatever reason, I had it in my mind he was being considered. Maybe then, I shouldn't omit Campbell.

T-B

5. Through-Ball

Through-Ball Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Waterford

I guess it's not Watford, England, but Waterford, Ireland.

What about Ugo Ehiogu?

6. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I'd have him in the squad (he can,and has played for England).

7. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Re: O'Shea

*sigh*

Waterford, not Watford. Watford isn't even a city (which is how it's presented in that biography). Hell, he played in Ireland for Waterford Utd before he joined Man U.

As for the original squad - does anyone else think that it looks suspiciously similar to the current squad with the addition of a certain, in-the-news-at-the-moment Everton striker?

8. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: O'Shea

You're right and with the way he's banging them in I think he deserves his call up. But won't kevin Campbell be a bit old in 2006?

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Cole had better watch out or he will be more of a harm to the team than good.
    If he doesn't learn to stay on his feet when somebody looks too quick in his direction he may find that refs will not give him any calls--although he is doing a first rate job at coning them at the mo.

10. Through-Ball

Through-Ball Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Re: Re: O'Shea

Are England playing three in the back currently? But, you are probably right, there doesn't seem to be very much turnover from the last WC or 2004 Euro qualifying (like I said, I don't know too much about the up and comers). I guess that's a good thing. Hopefully, with another 4 years of experience these guys can make the final in Germany.

T-B

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    If Carlton Cole proves to be what his initial outings suggest he is capable of becoming i sincerly doubt that big lumox Heskey will be in the squad.