Just a question

Discussion in 'Australia' started by prostock, Aug 25, 2006.

1. prostock

prostock Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How do u Aussie's feel that your are in the Asian division? When i told my friends that Australia is now in the asian division they were like wtf? Australians are white. Do you feel this way?

2. Gez1

Gez1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Iranians aren't exactly 'Asian' looking now are they? I think you are just worried because we are better than you.

3. Drogo

Drogo New Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Sweden
    So confederations should be made up with different skin-colours? So that all Black plays in one, white in another and so on :rolleyes: ? And BTW, there are many in the OFC that aren't "white"

4. prostock

prostock Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    wtf yeah am worried that u are better then us thats why i posted in the australia forum and that should make u guys go away right? uh huh thats not what i ment at all, i just wanted some feedback on the australian side.

5. woodzie12345

woodzie12345 New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Australia
    despite what you may have heard, we're not racists down here.

Drogo's right, the OFC wasn't purely white. What about the Samoans? Fijians? Innumerable others???

My friend, people from different countries... wait for it... ARE DIFFERENT!

you seem to be making the generalisation that people from different countries shouldn't be in confederations together...

Kind of defeats the purpose, no?

6. Dannyd

Dannyd Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think you'll find we have some of the most multicultural cities in the world. Australia had British beginnings, yes. I think during a walk through Sydney nowadays you can see almost every ethnicity under the sun. I mean it was settled in 1788 and the Chinese have been coming here since the early 1800's for example. Uni is another example where I've got such a wide mix of nationalities going to class with me everyday including many, many Asians. In my experience, a fair percentage of them are Australian.

7. Ragnarok14

Ragnarok14 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Queensland
    To answer the original question I think you were trying to ask, most australians see it as a very good move as it will increase the competition level we are facing and enable australian soccer to grow. As for whether or not the different races involved in the asian confederation are a worry, just look at the australian team and previous confederation we were in.

8. Forza Juve

Forza Juve New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Sydney
    Good post

9. Decentric

Decentric Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Prostock.
    I for one, am absolutely ecstatic we are in the Asian Confederation. I have travelled extensively in SE Asia, and have lived in the middle-east. My time spent in Asian countries has been enjoyable. Everwhere I have been in Asia, football is the most popular sport (or almost the most popular sport), with the notable exception of India where they are cricket crazy.

We have had a big battle here for recognition in football against other football codes, Australian Rules Football, rugby league and rugby union. You have probably never heard of Australian Rules or rugby league, but many Australians who have never left the country, don't realise the lack of interest in the rest of the world in these sports, which are so significant to them! Rugby league and AFL have got a lot more money than football at this point in time. Our new Asian connection in international games and the champions' league is increasing the profile of football in Australia. We now have many more competitve international matches against decent opposition, unlike Oceana.

I've travelled in 5 continents, and Australia and New Zealand are the most sports mad countries I've visited! To some this is a fault. Australians are excited about challenging matches against South Kores, Japan, Saudi Arabia and Iran on a much more regular basis than before. Few people watch the Australian national rugby league team play against other countries, because the team is usually so dominant. I think the Australian sporting psyche likes to see big matches against tough opposition. Older football supporters like me, can at last see exciting times ahead for the sport in Australia. The World Cup matches Australia participated in, evoked sporting passsion in this country never manifested before. Since the amalgamation with the Asian Football Confederation, for us oldies there is light at the end of the tunnel!

10. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    I feel very happy.

Maybe you will not fell so happy when Australia wins the Asia Cup?

11. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    haha, i bet they will be pissed off! :p

no, at least now we have some competition now....