Junior Flores at Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by tab5g, Oct 4, 2012.

1. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Liga MX, like his boy Rubio Rubin.

Rubio is the same age, went pro the same year, and also had injury problems. But look at Rubio's struggle. Five teams in those same four years and never gave up. He looked good against Bolivia, and you can see his limitations on that team, but I don't doubt that he is going to have himself a solid year in Liga MX and I think Flores could do the same.

2. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I’m crazy, but I feel like a USL or Ascenso MX offer is more likely than a MLS or Liga MX offer.

Tom Collingsworth and bballshawn repped this.
  3. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think it's crazy. I mean, USL is a joke and you know he's better than that. I mentioned Rubin because they have similar histories, yet Rubin was able to get an offer from Tijuana. Perez has played almost 1/3 fewer games in the same time frame though. MLS should be a good option. I usually avoid bringing up MLS in the YA forums though.

4. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubin proved himself in the Eredivisie at one point, before getting rocked by injuries and floating around for a while.

Josh Perez? He was in kind of a weird place getting spot minutes in Serie C this year, but he’s still got some prospect shine on him.

As far as I can tell, Flores has either been hurt, or an unspectacular squad player for a 4th division reserve team for a few years now.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If Flores is of sufficient quality that he can land at a respectable level next season and immediately start producing, that's awesome. Could he maybe end up a B2/MLS/Liga MX-type squad player next season? Perhaps. But I I kind of feel like a more likely, but still bullish, scenario might look like Fafa Picault's storyline -- maybe he drops a level below where he theoretically could be able to sign, breaks out, and then makes his way back up that way, assuming he stays healthy. Perhaps a bit slower, but still a payoff.

Winoman repped this.
  6. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah, I didn't mean to bring Josh Perez into this. I meant to type Flores, but your point stands although Perez is only 20.

Sup Bro repped this.
  7. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Inb4 he re-signs with BVB and gets injured.

I want to get off this rollercoaster :(

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's trying to hang on to milk every ounce of that Dortmund reserve money before moving on to playing for the minimum in MLS. I get it, but at the same time it's short-sighted. Significantly better chance of a return to Europe if he moves to MLS sooner and then breaks into the national team off the strength of his performances.

10. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Break into the national team? He hasn't played consistently in like three years, I would put money that he is out of MLS in three years his game does not fit the league. He is too slow.

Sandon Mibut and The Irish Rover repped this.
  11. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think he means the El Salvador national team ;)

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Senior or U-21s?? :whistling:

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Tweet from DMVSoccer on Sept 26 2018 says he'll be back in mid-October. Will be training with Eddie Johnson?!? What is Eddie training for exactly - is he making a comeback? Honestly might be better than our current forward options.

[​IMG]DMV Soccer‏ @DMVSoccer96
    Local Junior Flores is just a few weeks away (Mid-October) from a full recovery from his long term knee injury with @BVB, he will be returning to play in the United States for 2019 and is looking forward to training with @eddie_johnson7 down in FL once he recovers! #RepDMV

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I think he is training players. If memory serves, CP spent some time with him this summer.

Winoman and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  15. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
  16. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Will be happy if he can play in MLS next season.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  17. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    more like USL

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  18. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I haven’t seen really anything from Flores in a while, but I wouldn’t be so quick to write him off. He could be in the same mold as a Lletget or a Canouse or a Picault, I guess we’ll see.

19. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Except Lletget Canouse and Picault actually played games in the reserve team. Junior has always been too slow... it's sad but I would bet his career is over.

Sandon Mibut and frankburgers repped this.
  20. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Still without a club?

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  21. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I just saw that Junior Flores is listed as a player subject to the MLS allocation list as a "Youth USMNT" player. I find that a bit odd, since he hasn't played for a youth team since 2014, and is 23 years old. The other youths on the list are also odd - Julian Green and Rubio Rubin. Not really youths anymore. None of them are even eligible for 2020 Olympics, since there were born before Jan. 1, 1997.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/allocation

UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Some rules are just so antiquated. MLS update your rules!

kba4life1 repped this.
  23. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The article is dated September 2016.

24. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    It says that on the top, but it's actually the 2019 Allocation Order (they just update the same article every year. It says last updated in April 2019.)

mattjo repped this.
  25. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies, I stand corrected. He and Rubin should be moved off IMO as well. I would be interested in seeing who all is on the list of elite youth players throughout the allocation process' history. I am assuming it is not defined in the bylaws (keeping it nebulous to provide more flexibility).