Jump Starting SA Grass Roots Supports Group

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by IRguy, May 9, 2005.

1. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello Everyone,

The clock is ticking and there is a lot interest in doing something so it’s time we got together and well did something. I would like to propose having our first meeting on Thursday or Saturday around 7:00pm. PM me and let me know if you can make it either of these days and times. You can also suggest a good place to meet if you like. Wednesday evening I will post the day, time and place of the meeting (or if we have one)

The point of the meeting will be:

*The see are resources we have

*Help get the word out(flyers, etc.)

*Brain storming

*Hopefully come away with a plain of action for the week or something like that

*Maybe a drink or two;)

Ok, hope to see a lot of you there!!!

Justin

2. Sandman

Sandman Member

Apr 27, 1999
    San Antonio,TX, USA
    Way to take the lead. I hope you are getting some positive responses.

3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    A convenient time to meet would be after the Mayor's rally thursday. Wish I could be there. Alas.

4. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah i didn't know about the rally untell afer i posted too, but i have a feeling that most people will be working then. I will try to be there though.

5. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    good luck on this - keep us up-to-date with the events

6. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi all, So far i have not had much interest is this meeting so if you are interested please send me a PM or leave a post otherwise i'm not sure it's worth the time. I'm thinking of having it at the Fox and Hound on Saturday at 7:30. Don't forget the rally tomorrow!!!!!

Fox and Hound English Pub & Grille
    12651 Vance Jackson Road, Ste 110
    San Antonio, TX 78230
    Phone: (210) 696-1356

Map
    http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?a...ew=1&name=&qty=

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if you haven't had much, 'some' is still a place to start. I'll bet you'd find that some of the MLS supporters groups started from just a few (3-4) people. Real's group had a convenient starting point -- there was a USL team in Salt Lake that had a supporters' group. Now *that* supporter's group, I would expect, started from just a handful when the USL team started there.

So keep working at it, don't give up. I'll do what I can to join you whenever I make a trip down there to visit my family.

8. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm in for the Saturday meeting. As I posted at our supporter's website (all thanks to Chapulin), my vote is to make it at 8:30 so we can watch Galaxy/RSL. (Clint Mathis is going to have a multiple goal game, I can feel it coming). :)

9. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck to you guys. It looks like you have some leaders to get the supporters group off the ground. Just start it, others will hop aboard.

10. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I"m going to swicth the meeting time to being at 8:30. I'm have a note book and of cousre be by the game:)

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to post links to the Hincha website and this one over on this feedback page earlier today, but my post hasn't appeared yet. It may be that the page is only monitored and has stuff posted on it for the day it's linked to an article. I'm sure it will be again. There's quite a few supporters among the detractors on that thread. If they'll allow it, it'd be good to get our info on there to let the other supporters know you exist.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Nah, I've gotten on there on a non-article day. It just takes them time to 'approve' a message (although one of the two I wrote never got approved--may just have been too long or something). I definitely think it's a good idea to post there.

You could also write E-N columnist Tom Orsborn to let him know of your existence. He does not seem to be anti-soccer (his last few articles have injected a good dose of realism on the NFL, and has allowed a few pro-MLS details to seep into his articles). You never know, he may print it at some point, which would be even better.

13. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks violet, i though of that but i figured they would block it becosue it's not really feedback but an Ad. but i hope it dose go though.

14. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks stan, i think i'll do that after the meeting hopfully it goes well:)

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see where they might. That's why I included some feedback in my post. It'd be sad if they won't include it. The guidelines only say 'this forum is for civilized discussion.' I'd find it frustrating 'cause there's quite a few comments from folks that I'm sure would love to join in the effort.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Excellent. I gave him a tip on the possible Real Madrid friendly in SA, and he's running it in tomorrow's paper. So I figure there's a chance.

17. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  18. ottoman

ottoman Member

Nov 30, 1998
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    I want to thank the organizers of our initial meeting. I thought it was a very positive first step. I will leave it to the organizers provide more details. However the meeting did inspire me to put together the five top things you can do to help MLS in San Antonio become a reality. I hope some of you find it handy.

1. BUY SEASON TICKETS!
    • Bring Major League Soccer (MLS) to the Alamodome in 2006.
    • San Antonio must sell 5,000 season tickets by June 1st, 2005.
    • Reserve Your Seats NOW!!!
    The commitment of an MLS franchise is contingent on confirmed ticket orders received by June 1st. In order to be counted, orders must include a 10% ticket deposit. These deposits will all be deposited in a "Lock Box" account at the Alamodome and will be fully refundable in the event San Antonio is not awarded a team.
    Help San Antonio change the landscape of Major League Soccer!

2. CONTACT YOUR MUNICIPAL ELECTED OFFICIALS!
    City council members need to hear from us who wants mls to happen. To make it easy for you here are the email address for the mayor and council:

Mayor Ed Garza mayoredgarza@sanantonio.gov
    Roger O. Flores district1@sanantonio.gov
    Joel Williams district2@sanantonio.gov
    Ron H. Segovia district3@sanantonio.gov
    Richard Perez district4@sanantonio.gov
    Patti Radle district5@sanantonio.gov
    Enrique M. Barrera district6@sanantonio.gov
    Julian Castro district7@sanantonio.gov
    Art A. Hall district8@sanantonio.gov
    Carroll Schubert district9@sanantonio.gov
    Christopher “Chip” Haass district10@sanantonio.gov

Don’t know what district you live in click below and input the name of your street

http://www.bexar.org/webapps/html/elstrinq01.asp

For future reference Sheila D. McNeil is the councilmember elect in district 2 as is Roland Gutierrez in district 3 and Kevin Wolff in district 9. There is a runoff for mayor between councilmember Castro and Phil Hardberger as between Ray Lopez and Delicia Herrera in district 6 and Elena Guajardo and Noel A. Suniga in district 7.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1024

3. WRITE THE NEWSPAPER!
    Since the get-go MLS-San Antonio has received bad press from the Express News. Write the editor at letters@express-news.net and educate the Express News about the other football. A reporter, columnists or editor got it wrong. Click here to find his or her email address.

4. JOIN OTHERS!
    There is a grass roots support group for MLS-San Antonio. For those interested in the email list:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/SanAntonioMLS/

To Sub: SanAntonioMLS-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

The group also have a web page: http://www.geocities.com/mlsinsa/

5. EMAIL YOUR FRIENDS!
    MLS-San Antonio has gotten a lot or press but not a lot of publicity. Unfortunetly this means that many people only know what the Express-News has written. Email you friends and let them know the whole story. More importantly let them know how they can sign up for season tickets..

19. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Hey....! If the city of San Anton could get the Mexican national team one more time inside the Alamodome thats is the best time to collect signatures and make some noise...Right now after all this politics and negative campaing my best advice is to wait :cool:

20. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Guys....Guys...Guys Ya all does not have to get fancy with big name teams if ya all could get any team from Colombia or even Panama national soccer team and face it with Monterrey or Tigres (UANL) that will be a sold out... people.... no need to close upper bowl of the stadiums :eek:

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you guys still getting together from time to time? Would centering it around the MLS game of the week work? I would think that would give you a good excuse to hang out - hopefully at a soccer-friendly bar where you could attract other members (it works for us in Dallas rather well).

Keep up the good work - we're pulling for you!

22. richj73

richj73 Member

May 15, 2003
    San Antonio
    Anyone going to the Lion and the Rose for the Champions League Final?

23. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Doesn't it kick off at about 2:30 local? If I can get out of work I'll be there, but the chances of me getting out of work are not great.

24. richj73

richj73 Member

May 15, 2003
    San Antonio

I think it's at 1:30 local time. I was in the same boat but now I have a doctor's appointment. He's a good doctor, Dr. Newcastle Brownale.

25. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard of him. Not sure I like the sound of that. When you're going to him, you usually have a pretty serious illness. Hope the appointment goes well.