July 9 stadium update

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Airblair, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, but I didn't see anything.

From Centerline Soccer:

Bolding mine.

Discuss.

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice update. Alioto said all of the appropriate things about stadium capacity from my perspective, especially around expansion...

...the key will be whether the end results match his statement. At the moment, I see no reason that they will not...

3. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yup, Alioto said all the right things. I'm surprised that the Edenvale vote wont happen until early next year, I thought it was gonna take place sometime this year. Anybody heard what plan B will be in case the Edenvale vote does not go our way? Will that delay the stadium since Wolff will need to find a different source of funding or will it be a matter of finding a different site for the stadium OR will Wolff build the stadium as planned and just dip into his own piggybank?

4. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even want to ponder what Plan B might be if San Jose doesn't agree to re-zone.
    *gulp*

Otherwise, this is great news, and I can't wait until next year to get down to business.
    Lee

5. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Money has changed hands.

That's how you know it's all real.

Now we can say with with certainty that Div 1 soccer will be in San Jose for decades.

6. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no plan B. The people who decide will get an envelope before the vote takes place. Done deal.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually we can't say that until the rezoning happens with 100% certainty. There's no reason to assume the rezoning won't happen, but if I'm not mistaken the city council will have new members by the time the vote is taken after the November elections, which could present a problem if the new members aren't for it. That said only 2 seats are up for grabs if I'm not mistaken, and so far the entire council is supportive of the idea, so we'd still have a majority worst case.

8. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So if we get it, the first incarnation will have lots of room between the stands and touchline. Don't they normally expand inwards and down?

9. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Depends. Some sink the lower bowl and dig out foundations upon which to build an upper tier. Some build lower tiers with deep enough foundations to support an upper tier.