July 4th - Rapids vs. Wizz Pre/post[R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by askum33, Jul 1, 2005.

1. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Our old friends that used to be in the west come to town on Monday.
    They aren't doing so great right now, so will we:

A) Put on a good show for the large crowd.
    B) Bunker! The more defense the better.
    or​
    C) Run around in circles, never complete a pass and play long ball?

Discuss.

I am going to go out on a limb and say we will 2-1 with a come from behind victory.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like the Rapids get up for the big home crowd on the 4th. I'm looking for a 3-1 win in front of 40,000.

3. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what the score will be on July 4th, but I do know there will be a lot of entertaining, solid play on the pitch. Two words: MASCOT SOCCER!!

For the game against KC, I predict a 2-0 victory, with Luchi getting an assist and Nat heading in a Denton corner kick.

I also predict that Kyle Beckerman will make more passes backwards than forwards and that I will spend a large portion of my evening frustrated because of his mere presence on the field.

4. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Last year we won 1-0 ... I think all time we're 8-1 with two of the most exciting games in Rapids history on July 4th.

If we can't get up for this game and beat KC ... the players that didn't show up should be pined.

I think somehow we'll win it 1-0. How is like trying to figure out why humans hiccup!

Oh, AND CHILI IS $25 FROM HER GOAL ... SOMEONE DONATE!!!!

5. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lineups (yeah I'm bored)

Cannon (well duh)
    Lewis - Petke - Borchers - KOTSCHAU
    Beckerman Melamed un-Luchi
    Cunningham Nkong Pedro

Beckerman on the outside is a big experiment I've been thinking about a little. I've noticed from time to time that he can put in a nice cross, and getting out of the middle might changeup his game a little. Probably won't chase balls to the corner a la Hendo, but may combine a bit better with Cunningham. I know... I'm crazy, but what else do we have? Nkong should stay in the middle. Denton?...Pah. Maybe that English guy is ready? Anyone know what happened to him?

6. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    2-1 win in front of 26,000

7. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Gotta spread reps around ... un-Luchi ... that's awesome ...

I've started referrering to NKong as NGood Enuff!!! (For an SI that is).

8. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at it this way. At least he isn't just hoofing it upfield. He at least keeps the ball on the ground. :rolleyes:

9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    We haven't had a come from behind victory since beating Dallas Sept 4, 2004 so I hope we take the early lead.

Playing at home.
    Largest crowd of the year.
    8-1-0 all time on 4th of July games.

Prediction:

Rapids 3-1 KC
    att: 45k

10. LuvMLS

LuvMLS New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Halftime Mascot Soccer!!

11. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    Oh and dont forget the "special surprise" at halftime from Mr. Wright :rolleyes: whatever thats going be, anyone care to predict? lol
    as far as outcome i am going to be a real optimist and say this is the game that turns our season around. the players will be pumped, big crowed so 3-1 in front of 50,000.

12. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I still don't see why you guys think there is going to be that many people there. The Rockies play the same night, and what do you think the average Joe Schmo is going to go to given the choice...baseball or soccer? We've been saved by the Rox not playing on July 4th most, if not every year, iirc.

I'm sure it will be a decent crowd, and something better than we've seen all year, but 50k or so? No way.

13. outforkicks

outforkicks New Member

May 20, 2005
    Denver,Co
    BP is right. plus as boring(I think anyway)as baseball is,it is more likely the turnout for rapids v. kc will not be as high.Although the game/six flags package is a killer deal for families,If enough people are aware of it anyway. So here is my predection: 35,000 tops DURING game.
    40,000 + for fireworks portion.
    score 4-1 for the Rapids.

14. misterbean17

misterbean17 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Fayetteville, NC
    Just please don't tie us

15. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    According to the MLSNET website, they apparently won't have the game on TV or radio! Is that true?

16. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    M O N G O . . . M A N !

17. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolffy is at Gold Cup camp - so the penalty area line won't be tripping HIM for a late PK. Maybe Klein will put us behind the 8-ball.

KC has won 5 of the last 6 against us, BUT, we have won 10 of 17 meetings at home. If we can mark Simutenkov and Klein out of the game, we stand a decent chance of victory.

Unfortunately, we don't fare well with Abbey Okulaja (referee) in the middle, KC seems to, though*. FC doesn't have a good record against KC, so this one could go either way. (*Provided the preview can be trusted - the referee stats reference the Earthquakes.)

IF we can hold some posession (make KC run), and not constantly bypass the midfield; and IF Cunningham looks up occasionally to pass, I think we fans will be pleasantly surprised with a win: 3-1. The forwards do have the ability to score, if they decide to. I think it comes down to these two things. Oh, and someone please let Mr. Petke know that if he is looking at Cannon, that he is facing the wrong goal - do not attempt to kick the ball while facing Cannon.

If none of these things happen, it's going to be another excruciating night. Except for the Mascot Soccer!

I think (hope?) attendence will improve slightly over last year: 45k. I think it will be a LONG time before the attendance number gets back to the level it was at under AEG.

18. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's (supposed to be) on HDNet, but how many people actually get that?

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ummm... Simutenkov hasn't been on the team all season we didn't pick up the option on his contract so he was let go at the end of the season.

20. jimmyco

jimmyco Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must be recalling bad memories. :confused:

21. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Yeah, cause AEG doesn't lie about their numbers............

22. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    What you really mean to say is because KSE doesn't purchase 20k tickets to be able to honestly state that 65k were sold.

23. FC5280

FC5280 Member

Dec 21, 2003
    exactly.

24. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken, both Klein and Wolff are with the Gold Cup squad (this is good because frankly we don't have an outside back that can hang with Klein)

If we're really lucky, maybe this year Jake Jabs and Wayne Allard will come down out of their box completely smashed and deliver a speech and it won't make the news just like the last time they came out of their box hammered and gave a speech (I'm using the term loosely).

I go for a 3-0 rout of a completely overwhelmed Whizz teams and a hapless slow-a$$ Bo in goal.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Klein is not with the US team, it's Wolff and Conrad that are with the Gold Cup team.