July 4th Attendance

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by alco_soccerstar, Jul 5, 2005.

1. alco_soccerstar

Nov 3, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home Depot Center - Attendance: 27,000
    Invesco Field at Mile High - Attendance: 41,987
    Rice-Eccles Stadium - Attendance: 20,121

Ok, now I'm not as hardcore about attendance as some people are on here with predictions and stuff like that. But, I always look at the match sheets and see what they are. I saw that they were all pretty high. When I saw the Rapids attendance I almost crapped my pants. Is there a reason why they are all so high on this particular day? I would think people would want to go and get drunk and watch fireworks, not attend a soccer game.

2. jhawkinva

jhawkinva New Member

May 27, 2003
    Northern VA
    Fireworks show.

3. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids game has the largest fireworks display in Colorado and tickets to the game also get you free passes to Six Flags. They have done this for years and used to get attendance figures in the 60,000s...

4. Moneypenny

Moneypenny New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Modesto
    Smart marketing on their part that's for sure.

5. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Except that there used to be more people ... the entire stadium was almost filled one year ... and last night ... they didn't even need to open the upper bowl.

There are a couple excuses though ... Rapids play has been a snoozer for a couple seasons ... and The Rockies played and had a fireworks display also - drawing 48K of thier own - and usually they are on the road July 4th.

6. O' Razov my Razov

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany
    Yeah well 41k and 48k are nothing to be ashamed of at all. Cheers to them!!!

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good marketing staff/front office would figure out how to get those 40K fans back on a regular basis.

8. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Harsh, but true.

Still, you've got to fight the battles you can win....and hopefully they'll come up with the solution to the other 14 home games at some point too....(they'll need to, Commerce City wont hold 40k+ so they'll need a higher average attendance to compensate.)

9. seven256

seven256 Member

Jul 18, 1999
    NYC

u kidding me.. that same marketing staff got w/ in 10,000 of a major league baseball team playing on the same day n throwing thier own firework display.. i agree that the rest of the games need some pr help to get some more people in the stands..

besides that , i read that utah was expecting close to 50k for thier game, anyone know why they got 20k???

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Yeah right. Walk before you run.

11. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Not if they're there despite not liking soccer.

Some seem to have this idea that everyone exposed to a soccer game comes away enthralled by the experience and longs to come back as soon and as often as possible.

It's pretty obvious by now that a good many Coloradans are there for the party and the fireworks, and not the soccer. That's fine, welcome aboard, here's your change.

But you'd have to be more than a good marketing staff/front office to force someone to like soccer if they don't or won't. And not everybody does or will. If it was that easy, we'd just have to bring people to games and bingo! Soccer nation overnight.

12. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think an important point to bring up is that the league isn't going to spend more on players unless it thinks such spending will payoff, more or less regardless of how much money they being in. It's not a situation where "if only we had the money we could spend more on players," the league has the money. But unless spending it will yield results, why should they?

So the key isn't attendance, per se, it's the link between attendance and higher quality soccer. The stronger that link, the more likely it is that MLS will spend on better players. The weaker that link, the less likely. How much we draw on July 4, really doesn't factor into it.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, the league and it's teams need to figure out how to bring in these 50K (or whatever) fans in on a regular basis without having to rely on fireworks, the English national team, or whatever else.

These things are good, but the league can't be relying on these things on a regular basis.

14. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    If you figure it out, let them and us know. Because I don't know anyone who's figured out how to get 50k to a men's outdoor soccer league in this country on a regular basis.

I'd imagine there's been maybe 20 of those games in MLS' history and maybe 25 or 30 of them in the old NASL (almost all of them for the Cosmos, I would guess).

If you're worried about appearances, then, yeah, a certain average bolstered by some big events that leaves several games with sub-par attendances wouldn't be what you want. But the bottom line is the bottom line, and they can bring in enough revenue with those special events (and I have no idea if they can or not - doubleheaders I think have screwy revenue splits) and get by on the others, there's no huge financial reason to worry that much about getting each and every crowd above a certain threshold.

15. lilepp6

lilepp6 New Member

May 9, 2005

they decided not to sell upper sections of their stadium for the game...so it was basically a normal attendance night for RSL

16. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Where the hell did you read that? I think Pastorino has been at this long enough that he's not going to say he expects 50k unless he's got 40k sold already. I don't recall reading they were expecting 50k.

17. oussan

oussan Member

May 28, 2005
    SoJo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the SLTrib was reporting that they expected 25k. 20k isn't bad, but it was kind of a surprise that it wasn't more.

18. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I don't think the league is relying on them. These are techniques used in all types of businesses in this country. Works well for soccer, baseball, city governments etc... So continue on. At least the revenue is going to an MLS team and not to Brasil and Germany who happened to be the big ticket for the double-header.

you can have the best marketing techniques in the world and still only get 10k to an MLS game. Even the most casual of fans can see how poorley this team has performed on the field. The Rapids have for the most part been extremely boring to watch this year. I don't care how good your marketing is, if the product sucks then you will have a very hard time getting them back.

Good thing for the 4th game is that the Rapids turned it on in the second half and gave the crowd something to cheer about. They may have won some new fans. The two couples we talked to on the Light-rail going home were at their first game ever and said they will be back. They enjoyed the game.

19. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I think it was in a NY/NJ paper the day of the game, and they obviously didn't know what they were talking about.