Juliper League Advice

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by SWED, Oct 12, 2007.

1. SWED

SWED New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    I'm going to be in Leuven just outside of Brussels from about the 16th of October till the 26. Does anyone have any advice on a good game to see? I'll have a car and don't mind travelling a bit to see some good football.

thanks.

2. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    in Leuven there's not much to see, I live in leuven and regularly check out the matches of OHLeuven, but that's just crap ;)
    On the 25th, Anderlecht plays their first UEFAcup match against Hapoel Tel Aviv.
    And also Anderlecht-AA Gent is scheduled in the period of your visit. (you can check www.jupilerleague.be for the schedule)
    you're probably best off at Anderlecht or Standard to see a good game with some atmosphere in the stadion

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Standard probably has the best atmosphere of any Belgian club, but Anderlecht or Brussels are much closer if you are staying in Leuven.

4. pip__

pip__ New Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Re: Jupiler League Advice

I'll be in Belgium May 1-4 with some friends and we were rather hoping to go to the Germinal Beerschot v KV Mechelen game on May 3. Thing is, I'm having real trouble working out (a) if there are tickets available and if so (b) whether I can buy any (I seem to recall there being a Belgian football membership thing in operation a while ago). The website isn't the greatest help, and not only because it's all in Flemish.

http://germinalbeerschot.be/voetbal/

Any help would be much appreciated, otherwise I'm going to have to phone up the "ticketcorner" at some point and hope someone understands me.

Thanks from a newbie!

5. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Show up the day of the match at the ticketing service with your ID of course.
    shouldn't be a problem

6. pip__

pip__ New Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Re: Jupiler League Advice

Thanks, destekke. Passports ok, I presume.

7. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    You shouldnt have trouble getting a ticket, Germinal never really sells out, also the website says that on game day the ticket office is open from 14.00 till the begining of the game. As destekelle said bring your passport. They issue you a fancard,(that belgian football membership thing you mention) which is like an id that allows you to buy a ticket. Also dont worry most people there speak english.

8. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    i thought the whole "fancard" thing was cancelled last year?
    doesn't matter much for you though, pip__

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It was cancelled three years ago, I got my last one for the 2005 season.

10. pip__

pip__ New Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Thanks chaps.

11. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    I think you got lucky, 4-3 is not an average result in any competition.
    The match of the weekend was Anderlecht - Club Brugge however, and ehr, well, I know somebody who won't be showing up here too soon ;-)
    2-0, total walk-over. Could have been 5-0, but the guys didn't really seemed eager to really trash them.

I did see an awesome Lucas Biglia again however. Class Act, way too good for the belgian competition, not for Anderlecht though

12. pip__

pip__ New Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Yeah, it was a good match. I think we got pretty much the last four seats in the place though - it seemed to be a virtual sellout. Nice atmosphere and a moving tribute to Maarten de Smet, a GB fan who died of a heart attack at 27 the week before.