News: Julian Green to move to Stuttgart

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 2in10, Dec 21, 2016.

1. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    russ repped this.
  3. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True

4. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    He was given 3 chances in the last 6 months, and he scored 3 goals. 2 goals in 2 games for USMNT, and 1 goal in 1 game for Bayern Munich. I see some flames for sure.

freisland, GiallorossiYank, DHC1 and 3 others repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You left out the hat trick against Inter.

6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuttgart has been one of my favorite clubs for a long, long time. Great city, lower expectations than over in München, and they generally have a reputation of being a developer (and seller) of young talent.

We shall see, but on the surface this looks like a great move.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #9 schrutebuck, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Julian Green has a grand total of 6 starts and 7 substitute appearances for Hamburg, Bayern and the US since the conclusion of the 2014 World Cup.

Let's hope the Green train can get back on track for the first time since before the 2014 World Cup. IMO, success will be equaling the last 2.5 years of appearances within the next 6 months.

mbar, 2in10, Marko72 and 2 others repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I imagine his is a big move for the club (at least considering they're in the 2 Bundesliga)

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sink or swim. No more hiding behind "playing" for a big club. I think he'll do pretty well at Stuttgart, this was a good move.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    BIGLY

mbar repped this.
  13. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Where Jurgen Klinsmann got his start at almost exactly the same age.

Best of luck to Julian.

14. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, it's kind of weird how going from the 1st team of one of the best teams in the world to a 2nd division team seems like a big step forward, but in this case, it really does.

Marko72 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Glad we'll finally be able to figure out what kind of club player he will be. He was on such a big team with so little chance of breaking through it was almost impossible to tell much at Bayern. Now, he'll get some time to show what he can do. I'm looking forward to seeing just what that is.

Lookingforleftbacks and Winoman repped this.
  16. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to Julian!

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Here is where we find out if it was a matter of being really tough to break through at a top club like BM, or lack of talent.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Or something in-between.

superdave, Mahtzo1 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If he doesn't get on the ptich regularly by the end of the second half that pretty much excludes the tween part.

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Exactly. Playing (reasonably high-level soccer, that is) tends to be a whole lot better than not playing, no matter where it is that you're doing your not playing.

21. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh, I don't know about that. There are a lot of variables particularly with such a young player. I'm not saying Stuttgart's manager might not agree with you -- he may -- but I think you're being a bit absolute.

22. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The timing of this move has Arena's fingerprints all over it.

Arena gets hired in November. He visits Germany shortly afterwards. A few weeks later Bruce is quoted as saying I dont care where USMNT players are playing, they have to be getting minutes....a few weeks later Green leaves Munich.

(bayern probably wouldve sold green this winter anyway but the timing is still noteworthy)

I think this is a good move as long as Green gets solid playing time.

Overall, I thought a lot of USMNT players made some weird and bad club transfers under JK(bradley, klesjtan, altidore, omar gonzalez, agudelo, shea, bedoya, birnbaum, kitchen, zardes, mix etc)...there were a few successes (bobby wood, fabian johnson, pulisic, yedlin, ibarra, morris) but overall i woudlnt say that JK's regime was a huge period of success for USMNTers i.e. transfers/moving up the club ladder/going to the right club....now, that isnt all on JK....but some of it is. A lot of it is on players. That said, I'm looking forward to better transfers under Arena than JK, b/c I think Arena has a more balanced view of where players should be playing and doesnt have a grudge against MLS.

2in10 and Marko72 repped this.
  23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I think that saying this move is mainly due to Arena's hiring is a bit much, though much of the rest of what you point out here is fair. We've always had some guys make some bad transfers, though that reached a bit of a fever pitch under JK, and my belief is that had something to do with JK's preferences and advice to tend to "push yourself" into the biggest league and the biggest club that a player could make a move to, which in many cases turned out to be unwise career moves.

russ, 2in10 and adam tash repped this.
  24. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Meh, he could probably still make a living, but if he is truly a top shelf class player then in 2buli he ought to be able force his way onto the pitch and do something once out there. At least enough to start getting some minutes by season's end. I think he is 21, time to make a case for remaining a professional footballer.

I suppose the point is that there is no harm riding pine in Bayern's development program and graduating to the first team and then not making it for whatever reason. I think he was young enough there was developmental value in being in the environment of champions. If he hasn't learned or developed enough in his time there to earn a regular feature of some sort at a 2buli team after a few months then he might not be very good. Might be different if he were a defender or a keeper, but attackers can get a run out in lots of situations.

25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green will be fine for club and as far as for the USMNT, we just don't have many players that can do this:

Acosta's run is why he got 4 caps/4 starts at LB from Klinsmann!