Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither of those players would be described as particularly "athletic" compared to other professionals in the class.

2. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Perhaps. But one is a default starter and the other cant geta foot in the door. As for athleticism, I am not sure it is a useful word.

3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the one trying to use "athleticism" as a measuring stick.

Yeah, anyone who plays soccer professionally is "athletic" compared to the general population. Neither Green nor Lletget stand out amongst "professional soccer players".

4. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I thought it was evident that that was a response to the claim he wasn’t “athletic” enough to be called up. I didn’t (and wouldn’t) introduce athleticism as a decision criterion. What I meant was he’s apparently athletic enough to play at a high level—as high am level as those who are called up in his place. If it helps, I withdraw that retort to the prior “he’s not athletic” posts. What matters is, can he play? I understand what speed means, what strength means, etc. I don’t know “athletic” means in this. Context.

5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Green's attitude. He's also entering his prime years. Not everyone has a long NT career, but what matters is that you give your best when you have it to give, no matter when that happens. I hope he plays well enough to get the callup that lots of people have been advocating for and, if he does, he plays well and beats out someone else for a roster spot.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    More like 2

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    ShortyMac, UniversalAdvice, mace and 7 others repped this.
  8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #3883 schrutebuck, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Green played the first 70 minutes today as Stuttgart absolutely incinerated Furth by a 5-1 scoreline. Stuttgart had 30 shots and Furth's keeper made 10 saves, while Furth's consolation goal came in the last minutes of the match.

Edit: I'll add that this was Green's first Bundesliga appearance since November 2014.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3884 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    As I said 10 days or so ago, Furth did not make any player acquisitions that suggests that they are going to attempt in compete in BuLi.

They are trying to be a possession squad but as we saw today unlike 2BL the BuLi squads will punish even small mistakes.

Will be a long smelly season for Furth.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Green is going to have a hard time there, his defects are exactly the type that get punished in the BuLi. The prognosis is grim.

11. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be a miracle if they survive. I think the hope for him would be playing well enough that a mid-lower team picks him up so he can stay in the league at the end of the season - someone like Mainz or Augsburg.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Went 90 in a 1-1 tie. Hgrota PK in the 2nd half and a red card seem to have helped SPVGG to their first Bund point (apparently they have not won a Bund game at home in like 18 games or something - I think I saw it might be a record. Not 100% sure...) Didn't watch but sounded like he played ok, but nothing special and that Furth appears to be completely (unsurprisingly) over their head in the Bund, from the reports I've read.

That said they are tied with Bayern on points! (for a moment.) And also in the relegation playoff zone... so..

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Draw at home against Bielefeld does not bode well for their season.

The Irish Rover and freisland repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Esp when it sounds like you were outplayed. I think this is a Matterhorn ride year - clatter up, enjoy the ride down... but don't expect it not to end.

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And Arminia played the last 25 with 10.

Gorky repped this.
  17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its early....off to a slow start...but too early to say what will happen

that said surprising they didnt seem to go after any reinforcements to bolster the team...they didnt right???

18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I posted a couple of weeks ago Furth does not seem to be attempting to stay up in the BuLi. They sold Stach their German U21 DM to Mainz for $4M 3 weeks ago which was telling.

In today's match they moved Green back to LCM in their diamond and moved Abiama their 20yo raw Nigerian forward up top. Turned out to be a good move. Nielsen dropped back to ACM.

Through 2 BL matches we can see that Green can be an effective BuLi player in the right system. He has enough quickness/shake and bake that if he gets the ball to feet deep and slightly wide of the box he can unbalance his defender and either get his own shot off, or in the case of the penalty, skin the defender inside and get off the quality low cross which led to the hand ball call. His ball retention is very good and he will get fouled while driving in the middle 3rd (4 fouls today). He seems to have a Green light to take a long shot if he can create any separation and perhaps overuses it.

An inverted attacking midfielder in a possession 4-2-3-1 would be the best system for Julian but the dual role possession LCM which transitions into a scoring tilted forward works in Furth's system.

It may be very ugly this season so Green may have to be evaluated separately from Furth results.

19. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as his number is a green one on FotMob he's doing alright. I wonder what the record is for least points in a Bundisliga season...

eliwood repped this.
  20. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    10 points - Tasmania Berlin

It got brought up during Hoppe's hat trick because the Tasmania fans were celebrating retaining their ignominy

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Green starts for Furth in an away match against Mainz today.

22. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    It will be a competition between green and Busio as to which team gets relegated first.

yikes. Fürth is bad.

23. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian Green's team sucks.

I mean, it sucks Air.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nothing bodes well for their season. :confused:

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And the $$. Seriously. The fact that they are officially the BL1's worst team ever - and by such a ridiculous margin - means that their commercial department makes a good bit of money compared with other teams at their level from selling merchandise.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.