Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green's final stat line is 4 goals, 1 assist, and 8 yellow cards in 1,729 minutes (23 appearances including 21 starts) of 2. Bundesliga play. SpVgg Greuther Fürth finished in 9th.

He also played 62 minutes (1 start) in the German Cup. Greuther Fürth were eliminated in the first round.

Interview with Doug McIntyre that came out this week.

SteelyTom, edcrocker, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He was moved around quite a bit too, playing three different positions and about half a dozen different roles during the season --plus the matches he missed due to injury, of course.

Overall, even though the numbers are not flattering, Green looked best when playing behind the striker(s) early in the season (Keita, Nielsen or both) in a SS/CAM hybrid role, and worst as a LM in a connecting role, where he was usually by-passed.

He ended the season playing CM recovering balls (he also did the B2B bit for a while, see the vs. Sandhausen game), and he was not that good there.

We all know by now the 2.BuLi is his level, but if Fürth upgrades he's going to be one of the guys in trouble.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  3. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Hellllooooo MLS!

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems like bench warmer fringe type player in MLS. His workrate is too low to make much of an impact in a physically challenging league.

gogorath repped this.
  5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian had his best season of his pro career. His first half was very strong, he scored his 4 goals by November and seemed poised to have a breakout year, so much so that he turned down contract extensions from Furth expecting that he would be picked up on a free transfer to the BuLi at the end of the season.

Alas, he got hurt in November, was not fit at the resumption at the end of January, then COVID ...

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Eh, I said it when he had his four breakout goals, all distance bangers. That's going to come back to earth. I know he got hurt, but really, distance goals in bunches are just small sample size. He wasn't going to score 12+ bangers in a year.

7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before he got hurt he played 13 matches, 12 the full 90 and 1 79 min. He had a WS of 7.09 and was considered one of Furth's top 3 players.

After his injury and COVID he played 10 matches with 4 of them 45 minutes or less. He got a WS 6.53 for that spell. That data is very clear

I don't believe that anyone expected Green to score 12+ goals given that he primarily played as a ball control CM (20 of 23 matches). A reasonable expectation would have been 7-8 and you would also expect 1 -2 easy/rebound chances over a full season

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Who scored stats are heavily influenced by goals and assists, so I'm not sure that says anything.

His best season ever at a real level is 4g and 3a last year (18/19).

I certainly didn't expect him to get 8-9 goals, even with a strong start. I don't expect it next year, either.

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Kratz
    Had a nice long distance shot too.

10. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think Green would be a decent enough MLS player, but I just think he would be middle of the pack on salary (300K-500K). So I'd be surprised to see him leave the 2.Bundesliga for MLS unless I'm wrong about that.

I think the path forward for Green is to replicate the Alfredo Morales trajectory by hoping Furth can take a step forward into the Bundesliga, and maybe he can climb back into the national team picture.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts 2nd half of friendly:

freisland and Winoman repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts 2nd half of friendly:

Winoman repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Scored:

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3364 ChrisSSBB, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    I enjoy Bundesliga preseason friendlies if just for getting to learn something about the lesser known opposition. For instance, sporting club Haching 1925 is just located outside of Munich and is known for producing a number of Olympic and World bobsleigh champions.

Winoman repped this.
  15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, their football team isn't exactly forgotten about you know. Bayer Leverkusen fans certainly won't forget them. Ever. :laugh:

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mace and Winoman repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench for 2x60 minute friendly against BMG:

And scored twice in 2nd half:

1299008844220297216 is not a valid tweet id

Ended up 2-0.

autobus39, ShortyMac, mace and 10 others repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    The guy can finish.

adam tash and nobody repped this.
  20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3370 m vann, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Fantastic run. Fantastic delivery. Fantastic finish. I noticed Julian wearing the armband, too.

What really stuck out to me and it could be my tired eyes deceiving me but....... does it look like Julian has bulked up? During his congratulatory hug, with his back to the camera, his frame looked bulkier. His shoulders broader and his thighs more pronounced. More Joe Gyau than skinny Green.

adam tash and FC Tallavana repped this.
  21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I thought the same thing, but it could have been the blurry video making him look bigger.

22. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Seems like it. Doing a quick wikipedia search, last time he suited up for USMNT was 2014, and I don't think many of us have been watching him much since he fell off the radar. That would have put him around 19 years of age. Makes sense that he filled out.

As a side note and thought (not directed at you) I do notice that on BS we often have a habit of labelling/worrying about a teens size well before there early 20's. Just a random observation.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But will he start... badum.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time he payed for the US was in 2018 not 2014. Agreed, Green has definitely filled out some naturally but it's looking like like he added some much needed muscle to his frame. I'm usually not much on the "x player needs to bulk up" train however, I often saw him get muscled off the ball or avoid contact altogether. That has been one of biggest gripes of his game.

freisland repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    TBF though, I've watched him a reasonable amount the last 2-3 years, and it does seem he's been getting a tiny bit more solid with each season, but it's been a slow build and an ability to bang it has been lacking in his game. He's just not quite good enough to get away with a sneaky, slippery, speedy light-weight game. A bit more bulk (long as it's the right kind) will help him overall I think.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.