Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Im not sure I agree. Transfermrkt while not a barometer for success shows that Hannover has some decently rated players that they could have sold off. Their value isnt bad, its just the way they play together.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    96 also did themselves no favors with the Soto saga. Not that an untested kid was going to turn the team around, but scoring has been an issue (the two today helped) esp. starting off the season with a couple of ties and a one goal loss. Things have more lopsided lately, but not sure it was great strategy to keep Soto out of the fold as long as they did.

The still look to me a pretty reasonable lower-midtable team. I'd be pretty shocked if they're fighting the drop come spring, but they aren't going back up either.

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, sucking on both defense and offense is a serious issue and often makes teams not as effective. They should try to focus on improving those issues.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Suck is a relative term, though. If you're comparing them to 1 Bundesliga sides, yeah, they suck. but in the 2nd? They should end up mid table.

5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    no I'm not comparing them to 1BL, I watch 2BL and they do suck. Even in German media, a lot of comments about how bad they are. And it's nothing new either, last 2 seasons Furth barely survived.

6. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would be shocked if he's making $1.5m or more at Fuerth. I mean, really shocked. 2Bl is not the English Championship, they still stick to reasonable budgets, esp smallish clubs, and they are a smallish club, they seat/stand 18k. Even if we assume that no one buys the discounted tickets, no kids, no season tickets, and visitors don't get squat but when GF travel they do get a taste of the away gate, they have a maximum annual ticket revenue of€10,5m a year (this is overstating their ticket revenue, because it assumes every game sells out at the maximum seat price, and that is not happening, esp as half their seats are a third of the max price). The Sky Sports TV contract gives them another €9.5m according to reports. While they do have sponsor revenue, it cannot be that much. I mean, their shirt sponsor is a local jobs website (I think. I don't know anyone who's ever heard of their shirt sponsor, but that was the consensus guess after a quick google). But lets go crazy and say their annual revenue is $25m.
    So, responsible clubs spend about 40 percent of their revenue on playing staff, but we will give them an aggressive 43 percent, meaning they have €10.5m for their players. They have 28 players in their squad. Using the questionable but best their is tool of transfermarkt, he is the 3rd most valuable player for them, though they have a whole bunch of players clustered just below him. He's a 24 year old who did not and is not a cert to make it in the 1Bl (no shame in that, most people don't).
    Do you really think they're spending 10 percent or more of their player budget on Green?

8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS DP (Maximum Salary Budget Charge) is only $530K. Green's first pro contract in 2013 was $550K+ so we have to think he is worst case somewhere north of $750K+

Andrew Wooten is on $510K base at Philly.

http://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

edcrocker and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  9. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Bought down with TAM could get him to MLS without taking up a DP spot, right? It'll be interesting to see if any rumors pop up over the next couple of months as his contract at Furth expires in June.

edcrocker repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker, Winoman and freisland repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could certainly be a TAM player.

Furth already offered him a contract extension which Green was reportedly mulling bet he wants a shot at the BuLi and a free transfer makes him more attractive to potential suitors.

Maybe Inter Miami has interest in him in part because of the local boy angle because Julian was born in Tampa, FL. I think he signs the extension with Furth and if he he finishes this season at his present G per 3 match pace he may get a flyer from a BuLi squad next season if Furth accepts a $2MM fee.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tampa is not local boy angle for a team in Miami. Jozy or Bedoya would more local.

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green goes 90 in their 2-0 win vs Dresden

sakibomb523, edcrocker, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3239 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Another really good match for Green. It may be disappointing to fans in terms of him becoming a creative AM but again he was used deeper in the #8 slot and was outstanding. He had 5+ successful dribbles by my count, 3 tackles, and as usual was targeted and fouled at least 5 times. He made at least 90% of his passes by my count.

He played more of a Nagbe connector role. He played next to Seguin in a double pivot. Seguin is big but a defensive light-weight so perhaps that is why Julian was more defensive.

I also should add that Furth started in a 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 and Julian really came alive in the 2nd half especially when Sarpei (DM) replaced the SS and Green could setup higher up the pitch.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Furth to Fifth, yo! (for now, anyway - full weekend of games to play, of course.)

There are at least 5 teams, I think, that could jump them, but I didn't look at the schedule. I'd guess some of those are in head-to-head this weekend

Edit: yeah, Sandhausen v Regensburg mean likely only 4 can catch them, unless H96 wins by +2. But they are sure to stay solidly mid table for another week at least!

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easily take him before Roldan

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1185268528699588611 is not a valid tweet id

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That "duels" has now become accepted footie nomenclature is the most Prussian thing evah.

Winoman repped this.
  19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DP is above the max cap number but, basically, below $1.5m. right?

20. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DP has no upper limit. Zlatan is a DP at $7MM per Bedoya is also a DP at $1.2MM per. There is something called TAM that can be used to buy down DP salaries to below DP threshold since teams can only have 3 DP... well technically 2 but you can purchse a 3rd DP slot for $150K...

MLS roster rules if you are inclined to waste brain cells: https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Winoman repped this.
  21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sorry, i knew that. I have studied the cap rules way too much. What I was saying was that a player under $1.5 but over the cap number can be bought down and not be a DP with TAM Example:
    Chicago had three DPs all earning more than $1.9m, but also Gaitan at $1.4m. In addition, they had four others over the league max.
    Green would fit into that other group of players, $600k to $1m, is my guess, and that would mean most clubs would not bother making him a DP, esp as there is no transfer fee cover, which might require it.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    With today's results Furth slip to 6th. Worst they can end up is 8th. Most likely is 7th after next two games. Still way early in the season, but at least they aren't close to circling the drain yet!

mschofield repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Julian is making all the right passes but the forwards are going through a dry period.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    With only the Monday night "battle of the bigs" (HSV v Arminia) left, Green/Furth leave the weekend in 6th place - tied for 5th on points, but with a terrible GD. Only 3 points separate 5-15. It's a short slide from top of mid-table to the "time to sweat" zone.

25. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    How/why did Green fall out of USMNT plans?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.