Juli Vee - Long Time Pro and Player in the US

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigdush, Oct 21, 2003.

1. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    my dad could beat up both of your dads.

2. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US

What's your name? Not trying to start anything, just wondering, that's all...

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your name is Steve Zungul, and you are the greatest indoor player in the history of the game. What do I win?

4. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    As in Juli?

5. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
  6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Born Gyula Visnyei on February 22, 1950 in Budapest, Hungary, his boyhood days were spent in dismal poverty. Like a “gem in the rough”, this youth’s body, mind and soul, however, were “rich” with valuable qualities just waiting to be discovered.

At the age of 18, to his unsuspecting family’s great dismay, Juli challenged “fate”, making a daring escape from the depths of Communist oppression by impulsively defecting from his homeland (to which he would not return for twenty (20) years due to the threat of imprisonment). With nothing more than the clothes on his back, not speaking a word of English, this well-read young man with a vivid imagination, passion for adventure, ambition and ingenuity, made his way to AMERICA (“The Land of Golden Opportunities”).

In spite of all the setbacks along the way, a determined Juli clung to his aspirations of playing pro soccer. He made the long, arduous up-hill journey, to become a celebrity athlete, in stride. Juli achieved notoriety for his brilliance on the field while playing for prominent First Division teams in France and Belgium. He went on to become one of the most prolific players of all times, securing contracts with THE LOS ANGELES AZTECS, THE SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES, THE NEW YORK ARROWS and THE LAS VEGAS AMERICANS. Juli, whose name is synonymous with “winning” soccer, was hailed: “Veee for Victory”. Pinnacles in Juli’s athletic career include having signed a contract with THE LOS ANGELES RAMS football club as a field goal kicker (although he never actually played for the club); and substituting for the world-renown Pele in the Bi-Centennial All-Star Game. Juli is best known for his tenure with THE SAN DIEGO SOCKERS where he established himself as the epitome of indoor soccer with an impressive record-laden career. Juli spearheaded the team to victory, winning five (5) championships; he received “Most Valuable Player of the Year” accolades, three (3) times, and has a plethora of individual scoring records, several of which still stand today. In deference to Juli’s legendary scoring and game-winning abilities, his player number (22) and jersey were retired (twice) and displayed in places of honor at THE SAN DIEGO SPORTS ARENA and THE SAN DIEGO HALL OF CHAMPIONS. Furthermore, on February 12, 1997, Juli Veee became the first soccer player, in local history, to be inducted into San Diego’s BREITBARD HALL OF FAME.

The sun set on Juli’s professional playing days when he retired from soccer in 1988. With his illustrious career behind him, the highly acclaimed: “Double Deuce, Triple E, the One and Only, JULI VEEE!” would turn the tables on “fate” once more by making the difficult and painstaking transition from athlete to professional artist. Juli began dabbling in art in 1983 purely for pleasure. Thanks to the encouragement and support of loved ones, Juli now aspires to make his distinct “mark” on the “Art World”, rivaling the great masters. A man of many interests, Juli’s diversity is reflected in his portfolio which includes a vast array of contemporary, abstract, 3-dimensional and Southwestern art. Additionally, Juli is one of the few artists who possesses the skills to mass-produce his own images, namely in the form of handcrafted, gallery-quality, limited edition serigraphs. He has also pioneered a new technique, which combines photography with serigraphy with impressive results.

Juli has had several successful shows in the Southwest region including a one-man show at THE ART COLLECTOR GALLERY in San Diego’s OLD TOWN, exhibitions at DYANSEN GALLERY on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, California, THE DOLONA ROBERTS GALLERY in Santa Fe, New Mexico, THE SADLER FINE ARTS GALLERY in Cardiff-by-the-Sea, THE ART LOFT in Del Mar, THE SERAFINA GALLERY in San Diego’s Old Town, at GLEZ & HARKIN GALLERIES in La Jolla and Palm Springs, at THE FAITH NIGHTINGALE GALLERY in downtown San Diego and at SAKS FIFTH AVENUE in La Jolla and Mission Valley, California. Some of Juli’s works are in the permanent collections of THE COPLEY LIBRARY in La Jolla, THE SAN DIEGO HALL OF CHAMPIONS at BALBOA PARK and THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA.

To his list of credits, Juli adds being designated by WORLD CUP USA 1994, the “Official Artist” for “SOCCERFEST” (the ultimate, interactive soccer exposition). This colorful, multi-talented soccer phenomenon-turned-professional artist was inspired to create a dazzling collection of “Sports Art” spotlighting full-color, action-packed soccer images designed especially for this spectacular event. Having represented both the United States and his native Hungary as a “National Team” player, Juli possesses unprecedented artistic insight into the arena of international soccer competition, making “his” a truly meaningful and appropriate contribution

7. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Yeah, it's kind of like the myth of two equally qualified candidates...

8. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Juli - just curious:

which French and Beligan teams were you playing for when you received notoreity for your brilliance? What years did you play there?

Did you play outdoor soccer in the U.S. or just indoor?

How do you feel about futsal vs indoor soccer for kids today?

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Also, what was Ty Keough like as a player and was he as much a dork back then as he seems on TV now?

10. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that is quite a resume

11. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juli Vee was, heads and shoulders, my favorite indoor player of all time. The first time that I saw him play I decided that his play had to be the standard of what indoor soccer was all about. There were other very good players. I think someone already mentioned Sam "the man"(I'm not even going to attempt to spell his last name), but for my money, Juli Vee is tops.

12. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I moved these posts from US Youth National Teams as a particular thread was getting over run by discussion of Juli Vee.

13. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Julie V would have been an even greater player had he used a dedicated strength, free weight routine....

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He played for the USMNT. I remembered the name, but I recalled he did something for the USMNT. Anyway, he supposed to be the few good American soccer player in the US?

15. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    Juli you were great, indoors and outdoors. The Sockers had some fantastic players. Hugo Perez, Kaz, Quinny, Cheesy, Branko, etc.

16. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I am shocked nobody mentioned he had a famous move which was named after him.

Vee -- Fake pass with instep (across body), pull ball back with sole and take in opposite direction with the inside of the same foot.

17. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Umm, it would be good if JULI was able to answer some of the question I asked JULI. Rather than other posters coming on and filling in certain blanks about JULI - since JULI is undoubtedly the true person behind the name (after all, he said he was, what more proof do you want?) the poster in question, I'm sure JULI can answer these things himself.

18. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    not all at once...............

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not named after him. That's just the path the ball takes.

The player's name is spelled with three E's.

20. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    I was always a fan of his famous Jam the elbow in Doc Lawson's ( Add your hack here ) neck when he had the ball in the corner ( indoors ) so he didn't get hacked. Besides his interviews were classic and the sportscasters loved him.

21. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Doc lawson was a real late bloomer. he didn't start playing until he was 14. I did a soccer camp with him in NYC in the 1980's. Kids were not into him even though he is a good guy.

However Franz St. lot another arrow did a camp with him as well. What a show off he was the kids loved the guy.

22. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    I actually liked Doc. The man was always in extremely good shape and he played hard. His style was very physical which makes him look like a hack. He was just one of the guys on the other team you loved to hate so to speak, but I will always remember him.

23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Double deuce, triple E, the one and only Juli Veee!!