juggling

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by MarndaJH, Oct 25, 2003.

1. MarndaJH

MarndaJH New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    I have been trying to do this for awhile now, but I have had no success and I am wondering if anyone has any pointers...
    When juggling I am not able to "stall" the ball on top of my foot. The ball just ends up bouncing off when I try to take it down. Any pointers?

2. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    I"m not sure what you're doing but this is just a thought. Meet the ball a bit above the ground with your foot and cushion some of the impact by dropping your foot down with the ball....like a..err shock absorber. Try to keep your foot level.

3. MarndaJH

MarndaJH New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Thanks. I have tried. I guess I don't have the touch.

4. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    keep trying. more practice should help.

also, can you hold the ball on your foot if you place it there or when picking it straight up from the ground. this is the first step. if you can't hold it, you're not going to be able to catch it.

then, you might build up to catching during juggling. drop the ball, let it bounce, and then try to catch it with your foot. try to meet the ball as close as you can to its high point before it begin to drop.

once you get comfortable with this, proceed to the next step, catching while juggling.

as noted above, cushioning the ball is critical. the top of your foot is a bone, so the ball will want to bounce away unless you meet the ball high and then come down with it.

5. MarndaJH

MarndaJH New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    Yeah, I can pick up the ball and hold it from the ground. Thanks for the pointers...I will have to keep practicing. : )

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when i 1st tried doing this and i took pointers from ppl on here it didnt help at all. i would literally try catching it between my foot and my shin. just by faacking around on my own i got it.
    when ppl said cushion the ball i just would put my foot level to the ground and try coming down with it which didnt work.

heres what works for me
    put your foot parralell (i think i butchered this word-lol) with the ground. keep it in that position but dont lock your ankle, let the ball come down between your toes and the top arch of your foot. if your ankle is loose enough it will give some and cushion the ball big time. the rest is up to you to practice. once you can cushion and kill the ball like that try bringing your foot down with it some while also lifting the front of your foot so you can squeeze it between your foot and your shin.

7. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    If the ball is dropping slowly all you have to do is put your foot out in that cupped position and hold it in the right place. The trick when it is going fast is to cushion the ball by moving your foot down and then right at the end curl your toes up and bring your foot up. This way it won't just fall off. After you go down you must go up just a little then it is much easier. And if parallel isn't working then try with your toe pointing a bit up(but not a lot)

8. GiggsNewWzrdOfHgwrts

May 9, 2003
    Chicago
    Easier w/gym shoes

I find it easier to stall w/athletic shoes possibly because of the slightly flatter top surface. With cleats I find it tougher to stall. What about you guys?

9. MarndaJH

MarndaJH New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    I find it harder to stall with cleats as well. I love juggling with my old worn out running shoes.

10. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually i can only do it in cleats/indoor shoes. i had trouble doing it at first but now i can bring it down anytime a ball is in the air, punts, throw-ins, etc.

11. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    running shoes are broader than cleats. same problem with me. :)