Juergen Klinsmann [R]

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by KCWiz, Jun 14, 2006.

1. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Interesting story:

Wednesday, June 14
    Jay Goppingen 2-0-0 in World Cup

Just three years ago, German international star Juergen Klinsmann was living in Los Angeles assisting in the development of young American talent for Orange County Blue Star of the Premier Development League, occasionally taking the field to provide lessons in person during the matches. He played eight games, scoring five goals and three assists while playing under the alias of Jay Goppingen (the name of his hometown) in obscurity... well, for a little while anyway.

Now ... he's 2-0-0 as the Manager of Germany in the World Cup.

(http://uslatworldcup.blogspot.com/)

I'm sure most of you have already known about this, but I thought that this was pretty awesome!

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember reading about this when I was working in Europe. I remember he only wanted to play in the home matches. Some friends of mine were actually going to play against Orange County but it got rained out in some tournment and their drea of playing agianst Klinsmann was lost. I wonder if he does end up quitting GMY or being eliminated or whatever, if he will play for them again. I wonder why he never wanted to play for the MLS and was only used as a consultant. I'm sure he could have tore it up. I remember he said he stopped training w/ LA when Sigi wouldn't leave him alone about signing a contract to play again.

3. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    how old was he during his time in the PDL?

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When he played for the Orange County Blue Star 8 (5) he played under the name of Jay Goppingen. He made a comeback as a player in 2003 for Orange County Blue Star in the American Premier Development League. The 39-year-old was able to score 5 goals in 8 appearances, helping his team to reach the playoffs. The name is taken from the town of Göppingen, where Klinsmann was born.