Judges Needed

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by Thystle Missile, May 30, 2008.

1. Thystle Missile

Thystle Missile New Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Springfield
    A while ago I posted this...
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14584350#post14584350

I decided it's time to implement the plan. I am recruiting 3-5 or 6 well-rounded Barra members to be judges of a new song for the Barra to learn. I'll probably take the first few peeps to volunteer.

Once the judges are selected, I'll post another thread for New Song/Chant Submissions. After about a week or or 20 submissions (whichever comes first), we'll stop accepting ideas. Then, the Judges will review each submission and decide on a winner. Once a new chant is selected, we'll move onto the next phase of the plan.

2. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i nominate myself for the drunk hooligan judge of obscene, crude and/or vulgar songs :D

3. Pan-T Clause

Pan-T Clause New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will volunteer. Just let me know

4. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does one become "well-rounded"???? :confused:

Whats the disqualifications set for judging the judges?

:D

~worm~

5. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I'll volunteer to be a judge

6. ShannonS

ShannonS New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Not here
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see that we might actually add some new songs! Ill help wherever help is need...

8. DCunitedcrazy

DCunitedcrazy New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dibs! you need a younger perspective:D

9. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I am here to help, just let me know

10. lemonstarbursts

Dec 7, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    if you still need folks, count me in :D

11. Thystle Missile

Apr 25, 2008
    Springfield
    This is subjective. But I'm sure after years of beer drinking, there are many "well-rounded" members. :D

2 things....
    1.) You don't volunteer by the time the judge selection is closed.
    2.) You don't live up to your judgely duties.

One more thing....
    THE JUDGE SELECTION IS CLOSED!

I'm assuming that everyone who has posted so far wants to help. Congratulations, you are all now judges. Expect a PM from me in the near future.

12. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Judges? :confused:

Perhaps we can set a 1-800 voting line... :D

The Barra isn't American Idol. You want to get some newsongs going do it the old fashnoed way.

A few tips:

--Don't pick some overly complicated Euro song just because Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. fans sing it and "its cool"

--Set your sites low. We don't need to have 3 verses. Settle for one that is catchy and easy to hear and remember.

--Most importantly, get some key song starting members to learn it and push it during the game. This isn't elitism but no one cares if "judges" on Bigsucker votedfor a song. People tend to sing for the familiar faces at the games. If a newbie starts a song no one knows I can promise your odds of success are virtualy nil.

--If you can do that perhaps THEN you make some song sheets or a sign (ala Srdan) to hold up during the game. If your song sucks however, you dont have anyone leading it, or people just want to make airplanes out of your flyers you will be back to square one...

Honestly, you can pretty much cue the "I'm Just a Bill" music.

[​IMG]

Good luck!

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    if we didn't have chicago-toronto-houston one after another and team sucks ********in ass on field Paokara would have been far further along than it is despite it's "complicated" lyrics.

PS Pedro I could hear dale mi corazon again on tv, 55th minute and few other times :p

and what Owen said

14. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I appreciate the thoughts and efforts that go into something like this but one thing you have to understand, BigSoccer to the Barra is like Coca Cola at one of our tailagtes. It comes in handy every now and then especially if you need to prostitute your Jack Daniels...but I digress. But the majority of our members do not know or could care less about this site. My intent here isn't to throw a bucket of ice water on anyone but maybe help you fine tune a few things.

First off, go ahead and take all the suggestions for songs and chants, pick a couple of easy two or three verse chants.

Second, get with the drummers at a tailgate and get the beat and rhythm down. While you're doing this I'm sure you'll get more people at the tailgate involved than you ever could here.

Third, make a two pole banner (or two), get up on a seat down front (or two)
    and go for it. Coordinate with the Grillmaster when to get it started. It'll take time, maybe a game or two but perserverance is the key. Spontinaiety is the other, we don't want to over organize like, uh...nevermind. :D

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    just do paokara and cavese and then move on. Tho I see 2-3 other groups already doin cavese, should have done it last year :/

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I have a bottle of Jack Daniels for whoever can get "Volveremos" started, going and part of our every game repertoire.

17. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Any of you guys ever see the Soutpark where they shock Cartman every time he f.ucks a lyric up to the Christmas songs?

We could have a blast with Marshall and the Spanish numbers :D

18. MD_littlekeep

MD_littlekeep Member

Mar 27, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seconded on the volveremos...

I'm bringing Lisa Hillary (the csn hockey chick) to her first United game on Wednesday... she's overly excited, to say the least...

19. Thystle Missile

Apr 25, 2008
    Springfield
    Look, if we are going to learn a new song, this board needs to agree on what that song is before we try to take it anywhere else. Right now, there are a lot of ideas for songs and how to learn them floating around. I here that there are songs that have been tried, but I don't know what they are and the process that has been tried to get them going hasn't worked.

We need to get everyone on the same page. Allowing everyone that wants to have a part in it is a way to get everyone excited about it, instead one person just picking a song and saying "this is what we are going to do." At the same time, we can't have 100 people saying which song they want best. The judges from here are only going to choose which song for us to get behind. I don't care who they are.

This board is not the end-all be-all communication tool for the Barra Brava, but the more tuned in members are on this board. If we can't get this subset of the Barra to agree on what we are going to do, then we'll never bring the rest of the Barra up to speed. There are a lot of good ideas on these message boards, but the group is too big for it to work without some organization. We must focus on one at a time.

20. MD_littlekeep

MD_littlekeep Member

Mar 27, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why doesn't this "song selection commitee" just back the inclusion of paokara into the regular barra rotation... it seems that the majority of the people who take part in the discussions on this board agree on that one...

so there you go... you're ahead of the game...

21. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I agree. This had been chosen a while back. We can test the "strategy" using this song. If we get this done we can move on to others.

22. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    we put Paokara on backburner cos we had important matches comin. Most of June looks like easy goin, especially SJ :D

23. Thystle Missile

Apr 25, 2008
    Springfield
    I had thought of using a previously tried song. But what song to use? I dunno. Also, for songs that we've tried & failed to establish, then there is a reason for it. Whatever that reason is, we'd have to figure it out and fix it.

I have no idea what "Paokara" is or how it goes (among other possible songs we may have tried). I really don't care what the new song/chant is, as long as it is easy for 1000 people to learn.

Part of the reason I wanted to do the song selection process was to have something going on (stalling) while I figured out how to implement the next phase... figuring out how to get this board and the song/chant leaders to learn the new song.

24. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Just to keep this thread OT, Lisa Hillary is hot.

dang, and I'm out of town for this match...

25. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States