Juan sebastian Veron: News & Interviews

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Mario, Jul 31, 2002.

1. jimone

jimone New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    hollywood
  2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    but off course, the wallet must be filled first!

Is not the reason the ball rolls now days in any liga?

3. jimone

jimone New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    hollywood
    it's funny

"I like tough, unpredictable challenges like this one. Knowing I was going to have the opportunity to help write new chapters in Chelsea's history was all the incentive I needed."

funny really. But my favourite was

"Seba has been helping me a lot, and we speak every day, which is a great support. We sometimes recall how Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricardo Villa came to London to sign for Spurs, and we discuss how much we would love to become legends like them."

it looks like Veron already is.

4. HinchaDeRiver

HinchaDeRiver New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Chilltown
    Brujita choked in WC02....porque no puso huevos

that is y there is animosity towards him

5. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    Just saw his interview on FSWE. Animosity? Probably from you, but Argentina doesn't feel the same way you do. If thats the case then "ninguno puso huevo" because he made it clear that he did not feel like going to the world cup but the love he has for that jersey made him change his mind. No doubt about it, he is a great footballer on the field and a great person off the field as well.

6. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    regreso ala argentina ayer con maletas MUY grandes? sera el retiro forzado?

se viene a operar de un disco Herniado en la parte baja de la columna vertebral.....prognosis???? no se sabe si 10 meses o 6...a su edad es dificil de regresar al 100%

7. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Juan Sebastian Veron

Is there any chance that he will come back to National Team duty. No offense but Riquelme on his best day hardly touches Seba, Riquelme goes missing easily in my view.

Just wondering what Argentineans thought of Seba?

8. dogfried

dogfried New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Miami
    Re: Juan Sebastian Veron

I think he and Riquelme are very, very similar, and almost interchangable.

Allow me to propose this (though this is very tentative, we don't know in what form these players will be by WC time):

--------------------FRANCO/ABON.-------------------
    J.ZAN/GONZALO---AYALA----SAMUEL---------HEINZE
    --------------------MASCHERANO--------------------
    ----------MESSI-------VERON----------SORIN-------
    -----------------------RIQUELME--------------------
    -----------------------CRESPO-----------------------

Advantages: Veron and Riquelme are both exceptional passers with incredible vision. They could feed both Messi and Crespo, as well as take their own chances. Mascherano controls the backside of the midfield, with Sorin helping out whenever he or Zanetti or Heinze push up. Messi would work as a Robben, or a second striker, with Sorin also drifting towards the center so Veron and Mascherano cover the gaps when Messi pushes up.

Disadvantages: If we don't score, we could potentially give up counter attack goals with more ease than with a more defensive minded lineup. Also, we don't really play with one striker, and this formation could be tough to figure out by the time we start world cup play.

Subs: Aimar, Lucho, Saviola/Cruz/Tevez (one of the three for striker).

Discuss this formation with Veron included.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

Veron and Riquelme CANNOT play together. Both demand that play run through them. They need a lot of time on the ball. They can't both have that; one of them will be useless. IMHO, a 3 back set (with Ayala, Coloccini and Heinze, no Samuel), Zanetti and Sorin as wingbacks, Mascherano, Cambiasso, Lucho and Riquelme in midfield and Crespo up top would be the best option Argentina has.
    Aimar can come in for Cambiasso if Argentina expects to have a lot of possession, or they can replace him with Tevez to play 2 up top.

10. dogfried

dogfried New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Miami

Samuel is our best international defender.

Cambiasso has yet to play well for the national side (although he's been ripping it up at Inter so far this season).

I understand that Riquelme and Veron are far too similar to consider, as is the case with Pizarro at Inter; he doesn't get paired up with Veron often. I think it's worth a try though. The passing opportunities and vision offered by these two would be exceptional. And why not consider it, Aimar is also in the same vein and fans have been calling for an Aimar/Riquelme pairing for months now.

Also, the formation you suggest is far too defensive for Argentina. You're basically calling for six defenders (seven if Cambiasso retreats as he usually does).

11. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003

Samuel is really quite bad. Actually, very bad.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

I can't agree with that at all. I've always thought he was a hack.

No, Cambiasso plays well as a box to box player - he plays like crap in Mascherano's role. (Speaking of which, what else does Demichelis need to do at Bayern to merit a start in that role, when even clods like Bernardi have been called up by Peckerman?)

Aimar is not the same type of player. He's faster, he makes runs, and he doesn't need to see nearly as much of the ball. Riquelme is a lot like Valeron - good player, but the world has to rotate around him because he has the turning speed of a large tanker.

Um........you've been playing that way for ages. And given how much Sorin and Zanetti go up the pitch, they're not real defenders. Remember, Brazil used this same lineup as well in Japorea, and Bielsa dominated South American qualifying with a 3-3-3-1.
    Also, Cambiasso is NOT a defensive midfielder!

13. dogfried

dogfried New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Miami

Name for me one good performance by Cambiasso for the national side. His goal against Germany in the Confed Cup was good, but I don't think I can remember another instance of merit.

Sure, I'll take Aimar instead of Veron. Either one in that slot is fine by me. I'm for that double visionary role. And Valeron retreats, Riquelme doesn't tackle unless a player runs at him with the ball.

What? Riquelme, Lucho and Crespo for the attack with occasional help from Cambiasso will not suffice, imo. Having the attacking wingbacks is nice but I think they should compliment a more aggressive midfield and forward combination. On neutral ground we must attack more (though Bielsa was suicidal at times, unconcerned with where he was playing, pushing his formation higher and higher in places like Brazil. lol).

Are you for or against Messi being on the starting 11?

14. dogfried

dogfried New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Miami

----Crespo----
    --Aimar----Messi
    ----Riquelme----
    ---Sorin---Cambiasso
    ------Masch------
    --Heinze--Sam---Gonz
    -------Franco/Abon---

I would support this if we were looking for a 3-4-3 and six defenders were necessary. Cambiasso and Sorin definitely add that availability the formation requires.

Also, I'd like to add that for the WC we should set a 2-3 goal objective for every match.

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

He looked all right in the qualifiers I've seen, when he was next to Mascherano.

Valeron is a worse tackler than Paul Scholes. Come on.

So........scoring 3 against Brasil wasn't enough?

You say 5-3-2, I say 3-5-2. Tomato/tomato. Its worked before and it can work for Argentina again. Its not as defensive as you're making it out to be, because it would maintain a lot of possession and provide Riquelme time on the ball, which is what you need if you're going to use him as the focal point of the side.
    Completely against. Of course, I'm not an Argentine, so take that with a grain of salt. :)

16. dogfried

dogfried New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Miami

Please. It simply cannot be argued that Valeron and Riquelme are similar defensively.

I'd like to think that a formation and style for a home game would be the same as on a neutral site but I'm not delusional. Also, Saviola worked as a second forward and Cambiasso wasn't there.

Getting back to Veron. I'd like to say experience is on his side having been apart of the 2002 squad, however, he was the main scapegoat for the team's massive disappointment. It can be argued this renders his experience useless, and possibly even a negative thing. Newspapers called for Aimar to replace him with only one game in last time around. I don't know if he can shake it off mentally.

17. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto

I wouldn't go that far!
    He is playing ok, as all of Inter are but he is not ripping up anything.

18. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Samuel es mas malo que pegarle a la madre!.. ;)

Our great defenders imho are: Ayala, Heinze and Coloccini.

Left mid-field, no other choice than Zanetti. This man is a beast, goes up and down the line, and makes for great passes. Sorin on the right, Ok. Everyone here is never questioning that, so I won't either ;)

In the center, Riquelme is a great choice, but I also feel that he often lacks speed, or even motivation. I mean when you look at him sometime he looks like bored to be there ;)

That's why I feel changing him for Veron, or even Aimar at half time may not be a bad idea.

Forwards, Crespo of course, but also Tevez, please!!! And Messi, yes!!!

Mariano

19. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Sorry, again mixed up my left and right ;) Zanetti on the right and Sorin on the left ;)

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

What do we think of Seba?

Lo que usted quiera, mi General.

:D

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I would not play Lucho and Cambiasso together. Both should be tried alongside Mascherano, or another defensive mid (Demichelis, Duscher, Batagglia, Coloccini) if Mascherano is not available. Then I'd play either Aimar or Tevez, to pair with Crespo.

Other than that, I like this lineup. Messi should be part of the team, but at this point I'd say not a starter. Veron, I am not sure if I'd even include him in the list. I think I would go with the younger players. I'd include D'alessandro before Veron.

22. Xeneize12

Xeneize12 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    La Palma, CA

Argentina can never score enough goals against Brasil (and vice-versa).

3-5-2 worked great in 86. This is the system Pekerman has been using in the past few matches. It's more like a 3-4-1-2 though, simply because there is a defined enganche (usually Roman). But that's just nit-picking. It can be defensive, but it hardly is for Argentina (as you point out). Also, just because you use X number of defenders doesn't mean you're play defensive or offensive. The type of player you have would determine that (i.e. Passarella, Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Cafu....all "defenders" but all in love with attacking)
    The good thing about the 3-5-2 (and Peckerman) is its flexibility. For example, by using Sorin and Zanetti on the wings/side midfield, they can come back for defense and create a back-line of 5. This is good against European teams which pressure from the sides, it should help Argentina ward off aerial attacks---their historical silver bullet. Offensively, Zanetti can break down the righ like any other (perhaps better than any other). Sorin also seems to appear for a header at the perfect time.

Pekerman's call-ups have mostly been versatile players than can play different midfield positions. It seems like the 5 midfielders will by dynamically changing their position (for lack of a better word) as the game dictates.
    I also like the fact that Argentina is learning how to play without the ball. This is something that I think Bielsa's teams lacked.

Veron
    After watching him at Inter again, he is a necessary call-up. He is magical. His passing is as accurate as ever and he has now increased his defensive skills (not like a DM, but at least he pressures the ball well). He is an alternative to have on the bench. He is the only player for Argentina, aside from Riquelme, that can feed a 40yard pass....something important in a world cup where you might want to play a counter-attack (while guarding a result, for instance.)

Even if what others say is true (Veron and Riquelme can't play together, which I don't necessarily agree) If at some point we don't want to play with a defined enganche. He and cambiasso or Marcherano would make a great midfield combo. Veron can also play on the right midfield too...

23. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Not calling up Veron would be a mistake I think most would agree on that... he is so skilled at picking up loose balls and disrupting an opponents play then quickly with one magic pass turning it into a chance for his team.

24. Futballer

Futballer New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Canada

Veron should be called up, hes playing great.....hopefully he keeps it up.

25. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu

Veron is a great player but his time has gone by.We need players that are hungrier.Veron is like Riquelme if they dont give them the ball they wont do jack.I understand the position they play and it doesnt deal with so much of marking opponents but alot of times I dont think they give it their all.

And dont know what the "dirigentes" of River are thinking about bringing him to River.I dont think the fans will welcome him.Especially teams in Argentina where the fans are very hostile y si no pone lo que hay que poner.Look what happen to Esnaider,Pizzi,Fonseca,etc...Most players that won alot in Europe,played in the National team for some time, and have a shyt load of cash they wont play the same ever if they return back to their country.And players like that we dont need.Only team I think he will do ok in is in Estudiantes,team he came out of.