Juan Roman Riquelme: News & Interviews

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Mario, Jul 25, 2002.

1. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    el perro holandes dice hoy que su problema es riquelme!

que finjio una lesion para liderar un golpe de 'estado' contra el.

esta loco este boludo?

2. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    definitivamente se enloquecio.... no hay nada que decir....

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    se fue el baboso!

el virrey les da un rotundo NO

quien es el proximo mentor de saviola y roman?

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    la gente ve a riquelme como el salvador pero personalmente
    el jugador que mas necesita barza es luis enrique

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    hablan con menoti

pero no creo que este listo para un club tan grande y con la fanaticada tan metida en las decisiones.

el futuro del barca es argentino! roman & saviola

donde estaba condor, faltaron sus predicciones en el 'mas sabio de conmebol' - hasta atlnacl le paso en puntaje.

6. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    roman por espana: Debuta el sabado

Villarreal presentó este jueves al mediapunta argentino Juan Román Riquelme, procedente del Barcelona, quien jugará cedido por dos años en su nuevo equipo.

"Me siento de nuevo futbolista. El Villarreal me ha dado la oportunidad de que me sienta así de nuevo y voy a darlo todo", indicó el argentino durante su presentación.

De hecho, ya se advierte desde Villarreal que Riquelme podría incluso debutar este sábado en Málaga, en la primera jornada de la liga española de fútbol.

"Ya contamos con Riquelme, quien va aportar mucho a este equipo. No jugará como titular en Málaga, pero le daremos unos minutos en el momento que podamos", manifestó hoy el español Benito Floro, entrenador del Villarreal.

7. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    ayer en competencia de la Uefa, Roman la rompe con 2 golazos y su celebracion de siempre.

este fin de semana tien un examen mas grande en la Liga....Ojala ganen Los del Villareal

8. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
  9. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
  10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ronaldinho wants Riquelme back at Barcelona

Nice words about Riquelme, from Ronaldinho.

http://www.futbolargentino.com.ar/04/12/15-0007.html

The question is, can they realistically play together? Don't they basically play the same role?

11. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Re: Ronaldinho wants Riquelme back at Barcelona

Maybe Ronaldinho wants to leave Barcelona thats why he is giving us a hint and maybe making way for Raquelma to take his position??? no????

12. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

Ronaldinho is not going anywhere.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

It sounds like he is saying that he wants to play WITH Riquelme, not have him replace him. But, it is hard for me to envision them playing together. Riquelme needs to have the team look for him, make him the primary target, and let him create. And that is not going to happen when Ronaldinho is in the line-up. Probably the Brazilian is just being a good comrade, saying something nice about a friend he likes and respects.

14. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux

Picture this...Riqqy controlling the mid and Gaucho controlling the attack. They can both play in the hole or drop deep, they could also form the base of a rotating 3 pronged attack triumvate - it would be nice 2 see. :D

15. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

Primary Concern - Riquelme would have to let Ronaldinho control the play up from the defense - And Ronaldinho would have to give up the play once it gets farther upfield - BOTH would have to be quite unselfish about the ball and control of play - And yet - Be willing to read the game well enough to switch these roles as the play of the ball dictates - If they approach this as stars, this won't work - If they approach this unselfishly, this could be an awesome attack

Secondary Concern: The other forwards would have to be willing to let Riquelme guide the attack and be a primary part of the scoring - Perhaps by having one (or both) take on wing roles quite often

16. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles

i've been waiting for this day for 2 years now. please bring Juan Roman back to where he belongs.

Barca!

17. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

Ronaldinho + riquelme = Control total en la media cancha

18. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat

you are just like me, when riquelme was loaned out i was surprised, i think he should be playing at camp nou, should he partner ronnie in our midfield definately that will be one of the most creative and explosive midfield pairing in europe.. ronnie knows how superbly talented riquelme is that`s why he wants him back..

having two of the best creative and driving midfield playmakers on the same team will only make us more menacing.. i`m confident riquelme will return, i`ve watched some of thier matches for villareal in the eufa cup and primera liga , and hes been oustanding for them, cause for concern is his injury problems, otherwise he is an excellent, exptionally mersmerising talent. big fan.

19. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

After yestereday's display, I'm pretty confident he will be the #10 of Barça next year. Simply SUPERB.

20. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

roman esta volando! 2 pases gol and VIP for the match.... I want to see if his team can keep it up and win at least 2 more games in January.

21. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan Roman Riquelme-The Second Chapter

Since the Juan Roman Riquelme thread has been going strong for 3 years now it's become increasingly more difficult to follow so I fugured it was time to create a new thread for him.

I felt this article would be a perfect start.

http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=43284&idSez=20

22. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Juan Roman Riquelme-The Second Chapter

The Riquelme Puzzle
    1/20/2005

Goal.com’s Primera LigaSan Francisco-based Goal.com fan David Agnew e-mailed us to say: “I just read John Rowlands’ excellent and informative piece on Pablo Aimar, and I realized that I might be able to get a similarly informed answer as to the mystery that is Riquelme. Watching him control the Barcelona game at the weekend was no surprise ...what is a surprise is that there isn’t a queue of top clubs (wake up Liverpool...he would be perfect for you!) lining up to make him their playmaker. Villareal went to the Uefa cup final, where they certainly would not have been had it not been for him. I understand that Barcelona, who as you know owns his rights, have the awesome Ronaldhino, who would come in front of anyone in the world right now, so they really don’t need him, but what about everyone else? So what do all these clubs know that I don’t about Riquelme? Is he difficult to manage...are there off the field problems....are teams reluctant to use him because he seems to defend so little, or is that tactically just how Villareal use him? Is there an issue of lack of pace??...but he seems never beaten for pace. I don’t get it...this guy is easily in the top ten in terms of ability in the world, so what gives?

John Rowlands replies…

Can anybody tell me how many players have been labelled ‘the next Maradona’?… answers on a gigantic postcard. I bet you have to sit back and think about that mathematical conundrum of a question.

The great Diego only stopped playing in the mid/late nineties, yet already we would have to consciously count how many pretenders there have been to his throne in order to correctly answer the above. Who was the first? Ah yes, Ariel Ortega I believe, poor sucker. He was always going to fail to live up to expectations in the eyes of the media after that ridiculous curse. Since then we’ve had Pablo Aimar, Andres D’Alessandro and now Carlos Tevez (there are probably more, but you get the point). It’s just typical really. It took ages for a genius like Diego Maradona to come on the scene, and then four come along at once!

Ok, maybe not. But Juan Roman Riquelme was one of this merry band of media-labelled ‘second comings’ (apparently this is because these guys, like Maradona, tend to wear the number 10 jersey…but the likes of big John Hartson wear it too, so what does that mean!), and was arguably the most hyped of them all.

Riquelme was considered to be easily the best player in South America and one of the most gifted on the planet, destined for a glittering career in European football where his enormous potential would make the world sit up and appreciate what Boca Junior’s fans had been raving about, but at Barca it never happened. Now on a two year sabbatical at Villarreal, we are starting to see the Riquelme we had expected.

The South American creative is magnificent on his day – such days were immensely rare at Camp Nou, but quite common at El Madrigal. So why is this? His failure in Catalynia encapsulates the poor on-field and off-field management of the Blaugrana, in the years immediately after the departure of Van Gaal in 2000. A variety of often-dreadful acquisitions were made with numerous players inadequately utilised, failing to perform due to team-imbalance and tactical ineptitude. Unfortunately for Riquelme, he was the most notable of many arrivals during the club’s laughing stock years at the dawn of the new century, and took the brunt of the criticism during his one forgettable season.

There are few footballing reasons that clearly underline why he failed to make the desired impact at Camp Nou. It could be considered a sad indictment of the state of the Blaugrana when he arrived, but he was supposed to be the great redeemer. His overall skill is unquestionable. His command of the ball and awareness of team mates and the game is outstanding. He is always looking for the killer pass – one thing he regularly missed at Barca, incredibly, were players to pass the ball to. He is by no means a forward, rather a quintessential playmaker, but the team must be shaped around him to maximise his effect – it is often very much a case of ‘give the ball to Riquelme’ - let him dictate the game and make the opposition pay. Villarreal have essentially adopted this approach which is arguably something a much bigger, star-studded team is less likely to do but, nevertheless, his current club seem to have quite easily succeeded where Barcelona so dismally failed - all after spending millions of pounds on the Argentine.

True, he does not track back, which is something many coaches find difficult to tolerate for a midfielder, no matter how potent a weapon in attack he may be, but you must ignore the irrelevant and boorish comments on his lack of pace. Who the hell cares? Sure, he would be better if he was lightning fast, so would anybody. Riquelme’s game is not based on physical speed. It is based, quite naturally, on his assets - mental speed. His vision and pace of thought are matched only by his passing ability, which is virtually unrivalled. Altogether it makes him an extremely dangerous weapon and a great addition to any team’s arsenal.

It’s nice to see that he has found his niche with a manager and a club that recognises his undoubted world-class talent. He could conceivably stay on at Villarreal (the tiny club have a mysterious ability to attract, pay and hold on to high calibre, international players with relative ease) but you would be surprised if a major European club does not come knocking on Barca’s door in June. It is difficult to see him fitting in to Rijkaard’s all action, ultra-mobile set up at Camp Nou, and they will be tempted to cash-in on what is clearly a considerable financial asset, which in truth is only good news for the Argentine. Watch this space.

23. Aguante Bielsa

Aguante Bielsa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 25, 2004
    Argentina
    Re: Juan Roman Riquelme-The Second Chapter

Hey, thanks for the article.

24. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu
    Juan Roman Riquelme

Just doesnt finish to convince me that hes the "ten" for the NT...

and no its not a River -boca thing, I just dont think he has what it takes,despite he gave Galetti a great pass and all but....

I would like to hear others on what or whom should be "el conductor".

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Juan Roman Riquelme

I think it is between Riquelme and Aimar. Aimar probably has a bit of an edge, but I want to see them both get their chances to earn the starting spot.

As far as River and Boca, it's hard not to think about it as fans, but I think we need to get beyond it when it comes to the national team. Is really should not be part of the debate. We have to take our best shot at winning the cup, and show the world the quality of our football.