Juan Fernando Quintero news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by BigSoccer Bot, Sep 17, 2009.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sidspaceman repped this.
  3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They can’t even afford Rodger Martinez.

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I hope not. That team is going down to Serie B for sure.

sidspaceman repped this.
  6. jquintero10

jquintero10 Member

May 19, 2010
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    HomietheClown repped this.
  7. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    That would be a great move for Quintero. Going to a team that dominates possession and attacks all the time is the perfect spot to utilize him fully, its not the biggest league in the world but Quintero would get to flourish and he'd easily get the chance at another move.

HomietheClown and Furnaccio repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And maybe they can use him in similar fashion they utilized de Jong before he went to Barca. I know they are different players but both have great vision and passing abilities.

9. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Dejong played defensive midfield and sat in front of the defense so I think they'd play drastically different roles, he'd be more likely to play the Ziyech attacking roll.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.
    Hence, I said they are different players but when it comes to the vision and passing I see similarities. Especially on set pieces.

11. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    DeJong doesn't take set pieces at all, they're actually completely different players, Dejong is a guy who plays deep and dribbles out of pressure and rarely goes for killer passes or shoots. Dejong attracts pressure and plays simple passes over and over, Quintero makes simple passes lots sure but his bread and butter is the killer long balls and crosses constantly looking for the killer ball.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I did not say style or position. I said vision and passing . The passes I have seen in the Champions League and when he played for the Dutch National team.
    Not disagreeing with your observations on their roles or style characteristics.

13. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yes they are both good player who can pass.

14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At least it’s a more serious offer, unlike the Italians who practically wanted to take him for free on loan, but dear god leave my Quinterito alone! :(

It’s crazy he has been at River for two years now. Between being a sub the first year and then suffering the extensive knee injury when he was peaking, it seems he barely arrived. Would be a shame if we couldn’t enjoy him a little more.

sidspaceman repped this.
  15. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008

Coming back, little by little.

Furnaccio repped this.
  16. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And the first goal borned with one exellent pass.

Azucarero repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Quintero publicly expresses his desire to have more playing time and not so subtly reminds River that there still is European interest in him

"Siempre uno quiere jugar más pero uno sabe que la realidad es otra y uno tiene que asumirla. Yo simplemente entreno, quiero jugar y cuando tuve la oportunidad lo hice bien", profundizó sobre su presente.

"La gente del club sabe del interés de Ajax, el entrenador lo sabe, pero lo más importante es que estoy contento en River"

https://lapaginamillonaria.com/rive...-Quintero-Quiero-jugar-mas-20200211-0014.html

Hopefully these aren’t his final months with la banda

villus repped this.
  18. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Very concerning how long this guy is taking to get back in shape. He's subbed in the last few matches and looks slower than everybody else on the pitch...

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3669 HomietheClown, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    That is the story of my playing career. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I kind of had a gut feeling this would happen because he was not known to be in the best of shape prior to his major injury. After the bad knee we all knew it was going to be a long process to even get back to his old self (albeit this is longer than I initially thought).
    Just sucks because he was so brilliant before the injury and I for one miss his flare, personality and pure genius out there.
    No other player is like him.

Furnaccio repped this.
  20. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    That sucks, it was a real bad injury and sounds like it might take him more time then we'd hope. I just hope he can get back close to where he was in time, even if it takes a year its better then a big set back injury wise.

21. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    He went through a similar process when he got injured at DIM. Dude was just not the same after that, and it carried over when he got transferred to River. He was strictly a sub until he made that gol against Boca. Before that, Gallardo wouldn't start him because of his fitness.

I've never seen a guy who takes so long to get in shape.

22. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    what a weird man.

23. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    It sucks but there's still a very clear path for him, he'd have to work his ass off and do everything to get in shape, but he has from now until the summer, get in shape and use the Copa as a season and way to work with CQ. Quintero in shape and firing is the best case scenario for us, because in that scenario you have to imagine James sees his spot under threat, if James ********s around if we had Quintero back to his form of last year we could tell James to ******** off if he acts like a diva.

24. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I will disagree that he is so out of shape............agaisnt banfield he was good and agisnt union he was the key factor for the win.

he was subbed in agsint estudiantes when river was keeping the result and wasnt bad.....he never have been fast.

yes he can be better...but isnt different his moment when he was called to wc 2018

locoxriver and J-Mezzy repped this.
  25. colombianballa91

Jul 2, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No he has never been fast, but he has always been quick and explosive in short tight spaces. One thing that I have noticed is that his usual burst isn’t there- which is to be expected because of the injury. Have to hope that with time he can recover some of that agility/acceleration

Azucarero and HomietheClown repped this.