Juan Carlos Toja [R]

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by ryu79, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanzellmo

hanzellmo Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Bogota
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i hope maybe next year he goes to europe

2. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To which team? I'm not sure if he has been consistent enough this season to attract the attention of a European team . . .he's still not playing at the same level that he was before the ankle injury -- and I'm not talking about scoring. Or maybe it's a team thing.

At any rate, he's the type of player that I would follow his career wherever he goes. If he has the chance to go to Europe next season, than I hope it's to a team that is shown on the Fox Soccer Channel! :) However . . .do you think he would risk moving after just one year from a team where he has found happiness and success? I know the MLS is hardly the "dream" of most foreign soccer players, especially young ones . . . but would he risk another "River Plate" experience so soon?

Just curious as to your thoughts!

3. minus

minus Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The bad news for you hutch is that Toja is on a loaned with option to buy. You know how players are if they get a better offer from a better league. I'm sure he'll consider leaving MLS if he gets an offer even if it is from Argentina. THe good news for you it seem like Toja is comfortable in MLS so who knows what could happen... I personally hope to see him somewhere else not to put down MLS but for his own sake. I would like to see play for NT soon and I don't think he'll get a chance playing in the MLS.

4. hanzellmo

hanzellmo Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Bogota
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i think he would, he's confident that he's got the talent so i think he would take that chance in no time

5. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have learned a lot about futbol over this past season, so I understand. I know how MLS is viewed and that it does not increase his chances of playing for Colombia . . .From interviews, I know that one of his biggest dreams would be to play for his NT. I would be selfish to want him to stay with FC Dallas if he has better options and a better chance to play for his NT. I guess we'll see in December, when the term of the loan ends.

:)

6. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY
    I can see Toja in Werder Bremen. Anyone agree?

7. hanzellmo

hanzellmo Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Bogota
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    just out of curiosity, what do teams do until december?, there should be room for at least some regional tournaments, like in Brazil

8. hanzellmo

hanzellmo Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Bogota
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Diego plays left field, and he is practicly worshiped therem, but if they start playing

Toja ------- Diego-------- Carlos Alberto

it might just work, and if they do that there were only one more place for an extra-comunitary

9. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY

I see him in Germany, if not WB, i even see the guy, if he plays his heart out in Dallas and then another league in Europe or Arg, I can even see him....see him...dare I say it?..... Bayern Munich...man I dream...

10. CtrlAlltDel

CtrlAlltDel New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Toja can probably claim Italian citizenship, which would probably allow him to transfer to Europe much more smoothly than other Colombian players. or something. :<

11. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY
    Toja's grandfather was Uruguyan not Italian..or am I wrong?

12. CtrlAlltDel

CtrlAlltDel New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    exactly (^_^)

13. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY
    Show me where it says the guy is italian....

this is froma bio on the dallas site:

14. CtrlAlltDel

CtrlAlltDel New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Uruguayans can claim Italian citizenship :>
    at least thats what an ex Uruguayan neighbor once told me.
    Unless he was lying to me. Are you calling my ex Uruguayan neighbor whose wife had giant breast's and whom I barely knew a liar!!???????

15. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well . . . I'm new to all of this. I think they get some time off. I know that FC Dallas is playing in a tournament in (I think) late November in Trinidad in honor of their former goalkeeper, Shaka Hislop. Other than that, I don't know what the players do until pre-season training, which starts some time in February, I think . . .

BTW, I know absolutely nothing about the German league . . .is Werder Bremen a good team? I have heard of Bayern Munich, but that's it. I know a bit about English , Italian (my daughter and I will watch AC Milan), and Spanish leagues in Europe. Of course, I know that Argentinian futbol is top level.

So, why could people from Uruguay claim Italian heritage? I think I read somehwere in an article in Spanish about Toja that his great grandparents were from Spain . . .

16. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY

I'm sure he was kidding about uruguayns all claiming citizenship. The joke seems to be based of off Argentines' and Uruguyans' obsession with their country's high percentage of Italian immigrants, so according to them, their not latin, their European. But tell that to maradona, who looks like he could be working in front of Home Depot here in Jersey.

Regardless, Werder Bremen is an amazing team, in my opinion at least, and they have a top national team Brazilian, Diego, whom I have been folowing for years, as my name also starts with Diego and I liked his performance in La Libertadores tournament in 03. Hmmmm, AC Milan is a good team, strong history, but they are performing at a horrid level these past few months.

I think they are 13th in the tables, where a team like Udinese with a 21 year Colombian captain is ranked in the top 10 as of yesterday. Uhh, German League is pretty good, I'd say one of the best in the world although it is better than the Argentine league, with perhaps the exception of about 4 Argentine teams who could give it serious competition.

17. CtrlAlltDel

CtrlAlltDel New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    If they were from Spain then he might be able to claim Spanish citizenship. The Dual Citizenship thing is complicated, and regularly taken advantage of by Uruguayan's and Argentinian's. Many Brazilian's do the same when it comes to their Portuguese heritage.

http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/

Also, you should keep in mind that I dont know what I am talking about, so the joke's on you hutchtx! muahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :'(

18. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    If JC toja holds double citizenship (as many colombians do legally)

the ancestry of Uruguay and ties to spain, if any, will make his stay in europe as 'comunitario' by Euro laws.

is there a rumor that he will move to bundelsliga?

19. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay! Now I understand the Uruguayan/Italian reference . . . And I think I won't even try to figure out the dual citizichip thing. :)

LOL! I have compared AC Milan's play to how FC Dallas has been playing (in the second half of their season, especially)! My daughter likes Kaka' (she's 11 and thinks he's cute, as well as a good futbol player).

Anyway, concerning Toja . . . <SIGH> He is a joy to watch (especially in person!), but I wish the best for him and hope that he can play wherever he truly wants and is able to play. I'm sure that the management of FC Dallas will do all they can to buy his contract/loan option (or whatever it is). I also know that he is basically a free agent . . . I think, so the decision is up to him.

20. hanzellmo

hanzellmo Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Bogota
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    nope we are just talking

21. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    hutchz: dual citizenship is possible when you are born in colombia and have the rights to to other country's passport (colombian constitution changes of 1991 allowed colombians by birth to hold both)

I the past, when a colombian, accepted other country citizenship, we have to let go from the other one.

22. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Thanks for the explanation. I realize that each country is different. Would having grandparents from, say, Spain, allow a Colombian to claim dual citizenship? Just curious. I doubt the country would recognize great-grand parents, though.

23. minus

minus Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yo Ctrl-alt-del

Your neighbor is a typical Argentinian/Uruguayan that think they're above everybody else in S.America. Anyone with ancestry that doesn't go that far can claim it. I for example have my Dad grandfather so all I need is for my Dad to claim it then I can claim it myself. I also have on my Mom side with the same scenario except her grandfather is Turkish so all I need is for my mom to do so...

24. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    yes, spain owes southamenricans a lot....and they paid with ancestry rights.:p

city of barcelona has more eucadorians (for example) that the amount of ecuas imagrants residing in USA, I read swome were.

I just had a nephew that married this girl with grand-parents from spain and now he has rights to claim spaniard citizenship, maried in colombia under colombian law

25. padrino187

padrino187 New Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Brescia-Italy
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No entendi su comentario...
    Un Uruguayo puede pedir la ciudadania Italiana y se la dan??
    jajajaja si eso le dijo su neighbor es la cosa mas pendeja ke haya oido en mi vida... Sera ke lo dijo por el hecho ke Recoba consiguiò pasaporte italiano pero tal ves no recuerda ke eso fue un tramite de pasaportes falsos en el Inter y en la Lazio cn la cual tambien Veron tubo pasaporte italiano