Juan Camilo Hernandez News & Comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by crzdcolombian, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Good point. However, I get the feeling we might be moving back to a double striker formation. Width isn't as necessary when that formation gets pulled off correctly.

Also, Quintero operates mainly on the right for River, and James could go there if needed. RW is not what Cucho is known for yet, though he can definitely play there. Either way, it's experimental.

Regardless, I think Cuadrado will be back in time and that Muriel is the best winger we have besides him, so if we field a 4231 or 433, the depth will be on the left. And Diaz could go there, too.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    All up to Queiroz.
    I don't think he has played with a double striker formation since the Bush administration.
    But your guess is as good as mine.

villus repped this.
  3. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Arias is our right wing.

Azucarero repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He is our RB.
    Unless you are suggesting him to be RW and maybe Palacios as the RB.

5. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wasn't being that serious. But he really likes to attack nowadays, plus he's fast, so the team is not in a super desperate need of a speedy winger. Even Cuadrado was often useless when Arias went on attack-mode.

Azucarero repped this.
  6. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Most of our crosses from the right hand side come from Arias, even when Cuadrado plays. Similar to when we had Armero, James would drift in and drop back, while Armero would be the guy making the runs toward the flag.

They're the type of players that allow you to not need to play a traditional winger. It was the secret to our success between 2012-2013, and it allowed us to field Teo so we could let Falcao shine to his best.

Furnaccio repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I see.
    But when it comes to a tactical formation I think it will probably be one target man with a RW even though Arias does like to go up there consistently.

But if we do shift to the 4-4-2 a RW is not necessary. And that is my preferred formation.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.
    There is interchange with the RW and the RB. But the point is Cuadrado was the man on the wing who would have to be replaced in that situation by someone.

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cuadrados diving needs to stay out of the NT. Everytime he doesn’t fight for the ball and or get a pk.

We should
    A.) ban him for 1-3 games
    B.) has to donated 10k to charity
    C.) get automatically subbed out

10. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    A couple points

1) personally I agree that getting James and Quintero on the field together should be the first goal of our formation but I'd argue that helps a guy like Cucho who is very versatile, can play centrally and wide and works his ass off defending consistently, he can compliment around players like James and Quintero hypothetically because he can operate in different spaces and can drop deeper to help defend if one of those two is drifting higher to get on the ball in attacking areas to link up play in counter attacks.

2) I think you are underestimating how big of a prospect Cucho is already, he doesn't need to go to the u-20 WC to get noticed and to get a move to a bigger club, he's owned by Watford and most likely only hasn't been playing for them because it's difficult to get a work visa and he hadn't had a season in first division soccer yet. This season he's doing well in first division and actually the best thing for his career would be to get the max games he can with the senior national team because that is a consideration for granting work visas in the UK. On top of that I think based on Watford's squad and purchases and formations Cucho is going there next season and will be looked to be a big part of their squad. He also was already watched by a lot of scouts and Barca enquired about him but were turned back by what Watford were asking for him. Watford isn't the biggest club in the world but they actually play pretty well and I think they are a very good next step and he will get a lot of exposure there, I do think that his game is really well suited to the EPL as well.

3) I do think that we should prioritize the Senior team above all else but I also do think there is positive's from players getting a chance to compete against players of their own age level and getting to be a leader who has to carry a team on their back (James and Quintero thrived for example). I do think Cucho is already showing a ton of signs of leadership and I don't necessarily think that the U-20 WC is a necessity for him but it very well could help him grow and it may be a nice change after a season with a team fighting relegation to get back into the goal scoring groove where he'll get more chances. It also could help grow his reputation as you say, even though I do think he's already fairly well known and on the radar of a lot of scouts/clubs already because of his skillset and achievements already.

Furnaccio repped this.
  11. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Some of you seem to be more confident about Cucho than I am. I guess I have seen too many young prospects either fail or never really live up to their expectations. Cucho is good already and very young, and he seems to have the right kind of attitude, but there is still so much for him to prove. Ibarbo for example was very promising. He played extremely well in Cagliari and started well in the nt too, but now people barely even remember him.

What has Cucho done so far? He did very well last season in the 2nd division is Spain. His debut in the nt was great, but that was just a few minutes, he is not going to score every 7-8 minutes in the future. This season he has been pretty good but not spectacular. I know the team sucks, but it still means it's hard to judge him.

Don't get me wrong, I do think he is exceptionally talented for his age. But haven't we seen young promising players dissappear all the time? I was more excited about Quintero when he was 19 and he almost blew his chances. Cucho is more determined, but we have no idea how much he will develop.

Hopefully I'm not sounding too negative, I do think he is the most promising young player at this point. But not by far.

Azucarero and J-Mezzy repped this.
  12. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Muriel, Quintero, and James were way more exciting prospects.

Cucho seems to have heart and a good head on his shoulders. I'm sure he will succeed.... but right now he is mostly hope and hype than actual results

pepinointer and Azucarero repped this.
  13. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Should Cucho be called up next month for the friendlies?

14. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes.

Furnaccio repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    People are mistaking and confusing excitement for hype.
    No one is hyping the kid up to be a super star.
    People are pointing out his attributes and personal mental toughness and saying he seems different than any other young player who debut in the National team.

I can understand the need for some to want to pump brakes a bit on expectations because of past players. That said, if he continues to play well in friendlies he deserves a chance to be in the picture for making a Copa America roster spot. That no one can really argue against.

krass repped this.
  16. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You should also not based a decision based on friendlies alone.

Friendlies are helpful and play a role, but it is a mistake to call up players to major tournaments based on performances in friendlies. I hope we learned the lessons of the past like Ibarbo. Friendlies tell us the wrong thing often.

At the end, role in the NT and full year form at their club has to be main factor and then performance on the friendlies.

Again, I'd gladly sacrifice Borre or Borja to take this kid to build him for the future. But taking into account that it's debatable that he deserves a call up over our current attackers and the U20 in desperate need of talent... Can't really see why we should take him to CA whether he has great friendlies nor not

Azucarero repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #442 HomietheClown, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    This would be a valid point under the same regime but things are different now.

In this context friendlies play a huge role due to the nature of the new coaching situation.

I think that If Queiroz sees a player he likes during these FIFA friendlies then he is going to want to see what they can do in the summer. And if that is the case he will be in the picture for the Copa.

krass, Azucarero and J-Mezzy repped this.
  18. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The kid should should be called up for the mere fact that we are looking thin in the young striker department. Keep him in the process and slowly integrate him. He’s been extremely consistent and has been a starter for every team he’s played with. He’s built more of a case to keep in the loop then not to.

villus repped this.
  19. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not sure about looking thin at striker. We have Falcao, Duvan, Borja, Muriel, and Borre. Adding cucho we are looking good

20. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    you forgot Morelos too.

pepinointer and J-Mezzy repped this.
  21. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    I hope The new DT keeps 2 forwards... Bacca has been very good and so has Muriel but for Sure Duvan starts and possibly Falcao..

I'd start Duvan and Bacca... Duvan has played along side Falcao but it's also good to cultivate other partnerships in case of injury...

Thus.. Hopefully Duvan and Bacca start and Falcao comes I'm for Bacca and and then in one match Muriel comes in for Duvan and the other maybe Cucho comes in for Duvan...

I think though Cucho should just try to focus on his balance and skill to make room for a clean shot... He is a great finisher with space he just has to start to realize at this level he won't be given much time and space to settle his legs and chest nice and meticulously for a shot.

That and he has to play in the sub 20 world cup... I hope he plays 10 mins in one of these matches to boost his confidence and get to know teammates movements but it's at the under 20 world cup where he will cut his teeth and learn the most..

pepinointer repped this.
  22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Does Bacca start for his club?

For me it should be Zapata as a lone striker with Quintero and James behind him.

Our best 4 players are Duvan, Davison, James and Quintero. We need to play a formation they will all play best at. Prefer winning and playing great then playing a formation where we let Bacca or Falcao play.

A 4-2-3-1 is what we should play

—-————-Duvan—————-
    Muriel/James——Quintero——James/Cuadrado
    ———Lerma/Barrios——Uribe——-
    Fabra/Mojica—-Mina—-Sanchez—-Arias
    ———————Ospina———————

Hope all these are healthy come Copa America

23. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Bacca hasn't been a consistent starter for his club (started 11 games all season) and Villareal have really been struggling, currently in 3 from bottom. I wouldn't be suprised if Bacca is the odd man out and by no means do I think he should start. I think Duvan should for sure be the striker and I think we shouldn't be playing 2 central strikers in order to get James and Quintero and I agree with crzd's lineup, this should be our first choice right now. Duvan/Muriel/Borja/Falcao should be our main options for a 9 and Muriel should probably be playing as a wide forward, that leaves Duvan/Borja/Falcao to take the central spot and I'd also add Cucho for the wide right spot. Bacca has been a very good players but time to embrace the young guys and I'd rather keep Falcao on the roster over Bacca.

24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hope Uribe can be fit/ready for the March friendlies. Have you been tracking Jorman at all? He's playing regularly for Boca and I have a feeling he's going to start being a regular call-up. will be interesting to see which combo works best between Lerma-Barrios-Uribe and potentially Jorman?

Fabra is playing for the reserves at Boca at the moment - so that's a positive sign that his recovery is progressing. But we still need to think of a Plan B for the friendlies next month.

i am very eager to see what CQ's plans are for the veteran strikers - Falcao and Bacca. both still have gas left in the tank and for all my trash talk about Bacca, there is a chance that CQ can find a better way to get the best out of Bacca in a way that Pekerman was unable to....if he were to go down the route of sticking with Bacca although if we were to part ways with Bacca, i would not lose any sleep over it.

Bacca has been in and out of the lineup for club this season in answer to your question

with that said, i always preferred our 2-striker formations - feel like we were more organized and played our game as opposed to letting the opposition dictate the game....

1. Duvan - he's on fire at the club level but he only has 5 NT caps under his belt with two of those games being high pressure WCQ's. Would Duvan do better in a 2-striker formation (Future: Duvan-Borja; Duvan-Borre; Duvan-Cucho or Short-term: Duvan-Falcao; Duvan-Bacca or somewhere in-between: Duvan-Muriel)

2. Muriel - flashes of brilliance but just too inconsistent. seems to be playing with more of a chip on his shoulder at Fiorentina and has played three full 90 minute games this month and four full games in 2019 which is not far off from the number of full games he played in 2018. still has yet to play a full game at the NT level. let's see if that changes.

3. Borja - maybe the FCF should hire a hypnotist to trick Borja into thinking that NT games are really Copa Libertadores games ;) always liked how he made his presence felt on the pitch.

4. Borre - new face, new manager, worth testing out sometime soon....

5. Morelos - did not leave a good first impression in his lone appearance. but i can see him getting a second chance at some point....

6. Cucho - just hope expectations are realistic with him. not every game will be like the Costa Rica game.....which i was at =)

25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For me it is who are our best players and where can they play at the same time.

In a 4-3-1-2 do you bench Quintero or
    Make James play a CM role? From yesterday’s game he looked like a headless chicken and had a Macnelly in bad form game in my opinion. I know others thought he did well. And for what to play Falcao? Who isn’t in great form. Or Borre who is up and coming but just doesn’t put the ball in the back of the net.

Hopefully in the future with Borre and Cucho being more out and our goal scorers we can play with 2 strikers or use James as a false #9.

Muriel to me is over rated until
    He proves other wise. Zapata while had a crazy 2 months is not proven. James, Cuadrado(don’t like how much he dives) and Quintero are.