Juan And Burdisso

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Midfield General, May 4, 2012.

1. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much different would this season have been had those two been able to stay healthy? I know, if my Aunt had balls she would be my Uncle, but think about that for a moment.

2. tomer48

tomer48 Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    alot more, especially with burdisso!

3. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    we wouldn't be that much better, but still better. i think we'd come in 4th place. and we would've won both derbies

4. Loomis

Loomis Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Zagreb
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It would be better that much that we could qualify for europe

5. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    am i the only one who still thinks we can qualify for europe this season?

if inter loses to milan and draws lazio

then we can win cesena and draw catania, putting us 6th

6. Loomis

Loomis Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Zagreb
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    All season was bed, so I don't know what to expect, but I sure would enjoy if that kind of schedule happen

7. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Roma would be much better. Think of some of the terrible goals that have been conceded this season. A place in Europe would have already been settled and would probably be on the brink CL.

8. Inie8ta

Inie8ta Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Had Gago not missed the clear chance against Napoli we would be in Europe. Had Gago scored that and Totti scored that penalty against Juve we could be in the CL. Had Bojan scored one of those sitters he missed at the start of the season we would be in the EL.

It's kinda crazy but the line between success and disaster this season has been really really thin. SO many isolated incidents that each could have changed our season. SO many "what ifs" and " if onlys".

Hopefully we still make it through. I don't have any expectations any longer. I'm usually the most optimistic person even in the most hopeless of situations but I gotta admit this season has me all scared of being optimistic.

9. spqr1927

spqr1927 Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    am i the only person who thinks it would be the exact same? i really dont see the difference from burdisso and heinze. if anything, the only difference would be burdisso would have more red cards. the fact that we play a formation that really exposes the central defenders and playing with fullbacks who couldnt defend if their lives depended on it do you really think an ageing slower juan and red card happy burdisso would do better? i dont think so. i think the only thing they would have is slightly better chemistry playing together.

10. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think 2-3 places higher. spqr1927, Chemistry is almost everything in defensive pairings.

11. forza venti

forza venti Member

Jul 23, 2006
    MI
    Club:
    AS Roma
    No, I don't think you're the only person. Burdisso, and Juan for that matter, are such huge question marks, and I really don't think having Burdisso playing would've helped much at all. Juan did have a few really nice games, but he is also more inconsistent with age. When he is on, his timing is awesome.

12. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vulpinous

Just testing, this is one of my favorite features on other boards. :D

13. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    probably needed its own thread.

Because we totally have had Juan for a full season.

14. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    While Burdisso was healthy there was only one game where we conceded more than 2 goals(Milan home) and while Juan was healthy there was only those Fiorentina and Cagliari games. We haven't conceded many goals when one of those 2 were playing.

In fact, we only conceded 11 in 10 games while Burdi was healthy. And compared to the second half of the season, that is nothing. We conceded a whopping 39 goals in 25 games since Burdi's injury.

15. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point is if they were both healthy then Kjaer wouldn't be on the field. How many goals would have been stopped this season based just on that?

16. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This has always been Roma. Just think back over the last 10 years, so many of these isolated incidents have resulted in us finishing 2nd when we SHOULD have easily finished 1st :(

Imo, I dont think the difference with those two can be sure. Juan was very good in one v one, a master but he is old and injuries have slowed him down. With Burdisso, this is a case of the absence makes the heart
    grow fonder. He is a hard defender, nothing pretty but hard as nails. I think he would be exposed as he would have been out of his comfort zone like kjaer. He may not have been as bad as kjaer has been, as he has great heart and pride but he would still have been exposed. 1v1 was never his thing, but playing under certain tactics (Ranieri) he stands out as quality

DDR repped this.
  17. forza venti

forza venti Member

Jul 23, 2006
    MI
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah... who knows, like you said in the OP. I think Kjaer also literally point blank stopped 2 goals if I remember right. If Juan and/or Burdisso in, would that have happened? heh, it's all conjectural.

18. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    He wasn't exposed in the 10 games he played, except for the game against Udinese. Our attack couldn't score at all back then.

19. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

So what, you think he is out answer?

Ask yourself this,

He is quick enough?
    He is good enough 1v1
    He is composed on the ball enough, capable of playing the ball out under pressure?
    He is level headed, calm enough as this football leaves defenders in very difficult positions?

I would answer no to all 4, he was never that quick, 1v1 was never his thing, he is quite awkward on the ball and he always was a hot head.

20. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Burdisso is a crazy bastard...complete liability. To be fair on Kjaer, he has actually played ok in recent games.

21. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I thought Kjaer has done ok recently too

22. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Very true and very unfortunate for us as people just remember his one career season he had with us. Personally I believe it would be a mistake to count on him for anything more than a bench role.

23. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah, from the period the results did not matter that much, his stress levels dropped and he started performing much better than any of our "defenders"

24. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    In the last few games, Kjaer was alot better than Heinze.

Capitano_10 repped this.