Juan Agudelo in "search" of a Club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by jond, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    :)

You know what I meant, though. By "equivalent" I meant 20 year old youngster from Argentina or South American country that would cost about as much as Agudelo.

Agudelo isn't that much younger than Neymar! Couple months.......................

It's extremely tough for a ~20 year old MLSer to sign for a "big" club in Spain, because you're in competition with the absolute best of the best. And you're in competition with the kids coming out of the academies at Real Madrid, Barca, etc.

And the bottom half of La Liga isn't overflowing with cash. Neither is the bottom half of Serie A for that matter.

The bottom half of the EPL's got money, though. Stoke has money to spend.......................

2. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    The talent exodus from Spain is startling. If I were a mid table EPL team, I'd have a full time scout just for Spain. Good talent moves around spain's middle and lower clubs for peanuts or a free all the time.

The EPL is flush with cash.....for now. It wont be long before some of these teams overspend and end up poor again. The agents know how to pry that cash out of the owners fists. Some smart EPL owner at some point is going to figure out that 10s of millions on an academy pays off in the long run. While 10s of millions on middling talent doesn't ever pay off.

I'm a little surprised one of these EPL clubs hasn't teamed up/bought a Belgian or Dutch or etc. club for no other reason than to be able to send youth players from outside the EU. The network restrictions within the UK almost demand that a team recruit from outside the isles.

3. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slightly O/T but imagine how it's going to effect Scotland, Ireland, N Ireland and to a lesser extent Wales with Fergie no longer in charge at Man U.

I don't think there's ever been anyone in the history of football who has recruited in and developed more Irish, Scottish and Welsh below average and average talents and molded them into mediocre and good players than Ferguson.

4. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

Doesn't Spain go for S. Americans because of their ease in getting Spanish citizenship, thus not counting as a foreigner? Since Agudelo was born in Colombia, I imagine he can get a Colombian passport if he doesn't have one, no?

5. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm betting Jerome gets a nice hefty fine and suspension for his actions. Stoke may not want to roll the dice with him any longer. They could instead take a gamble on Agudelo. it could be a win-win if they play their cards right.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the oatcake the're saying Valencia is after Juan as well.

8. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, now you're betting too

Any chance he would turn down Valencia? I hope not.

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw all this. Is Agudelo any good nowadays? I can't remember the last time I saw him play.

11. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 goals 1 assist in 11 games this year. mostly been injured.

Aduesque and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been injured so much that he wasn't even on my radar anymore. Still very young though - I just hope he gets healthy and plays. Playing is the most important thing for him right now.

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
  14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo had interest from Atletico Madrid, right?

Scouts know about him in Spain. And , uh, the dude is South American which helps a lot.

Valencia has a thin squad, looks like they only have one goal scoring forward. They need to get bodies in at CF.

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah IIRC, he caught the eye of Atletico a couple years back during a Generation Adidas tour.

16. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys think Juan is good enough to get PT right now at Valencia?

17. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this move would be great. plus in 2 years, he can get Spanish citizenship, right?

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At the moment, sure. They literally have one goal scoring center forward that I'm aware of on their roster right now.

Of course, Agudelo isn't the only forward they are looking at.

Aduesque repped this.
  19. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see the best of Juan. He has crazy talent if he could put it all together.

20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NE's turf won't help with his injury history.

I disagree slightly. Playing is very important, but at age 20 with no good coaching thus far in MLS, quality coaching is just as important IMO. If Juan goes somewhere, doesn't get many first team mins but is getting big mins in the reserves with quality coaching and is really learning the game, setting himself up for 1st team mins in a top 4 league next season, that's a good situation for me, as again he's only 20. If he was 23 I'd feel differently. But I'd think that since he has choices he won't go somewhere where he isn't at least a sub option.

If playing time was that much more important than quality coaching, MLS would have many more quality prospects with Euro interest. But there's numerous MLS players who've received boatloads of playing time yet have little improvement to show for it.

21. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valencia has Jonas and U-21 Spanish international who seems talented but has only scored 3 first division goals. Of course its almost a guarantee that they'll bring in a very good player at the position and at least 1-2 guys for depth.

22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I get what you're saying. The way I see it - if quality coaching were more important than first team playing time, clubs wouldn't send youngsters out on loan to gain experience as much as they do. Ideally, Juan will end up somewhere where he'll get both the coaching and the playing time. Let's just agree that we hope he finds that place . . . sooner than later. :thumbsup:

23. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems very unlikely that they would be buying him as a primary option. They're in the Europa and have a real shot at the Champions League if they make the right buys. Maybe they see him as a cheap investment with his contract situation.

24. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no.

25. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Valencia is probably looking for cheap younger buys considering their debt situation.