Juan Agudelo/America's next soccer star theads merged [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by JBOBO, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People must be crazy confused when you talk about Brazilian players.

2. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima is what every young striker should aspire to be. :)

3. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    They say that Paulo Henrique Chagas de Lima might be the new Waldyr Pereira or Artur Antunes Coimbra. Brazil might have a new Manuel Francisco dos Santos coming up, also.

4. whitemexican

whitemexican Member

Feb 4, 2007
    miami
    I love it how us fans are so desperate to have their own "chicharito" that they just hype up anyone with decent performance like agudelo. Theres only one javier hernandez, sorry usa.

5. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you fans so desperate? Don't you already have one?

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'd rather have our own Drogba or Etoo, but that's just me.

7. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way to kill a troll is to starve it.

8. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to quibble or be a contradictory jerk, but depending upon the troll, usually some combination of fire, ice or acid is effective.
    :D
    http://books.google.com/books?id=xN...lient=opera#v=onepage&q="mind flayer"&f=false

"the troll is the players' first introduction to a regenerating monster - a creature that's almost impossible to kill unless you've got fire handy".[22]

9. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, sunlight works on Middle Earth trolls. But you know which branch of the troll family I meant.

10. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry...Any chance I get to out my inner geek are tough to pass over.

11. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your inner geek runneth deep. ;)

I have actually read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy as well as The Hobbit. That places me somewhere on the geek continuum I believe.

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think hobbits should be discussed in this thread.

13. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Why? We just played them.;)

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

15. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great display of Agudelo's abilities in todays match. His development would suggest that he could take his poaching skills to all-action displays. His ability to get back into the midfield and distribute the ball was promising. He was giving Paraguay the biggest headache in square pass situations. I'm not sure about speed wise, but he knows how to use his body in a very Charlie Davies like way. His chip to Dempsey was something that I thought was pretty nice to see. Agudelo has made the case as the number one forward in the pool. Its a bit scary considering he has more international caps than club matches.

Its sad that he may be forced into the international game so soon. Hopefully it does nothing but add to his development. Hopefully...

16. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who brought up Gattuso?

17. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Brandybucks, IIRC. Raised him from a little hobbit baby.

18. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I am little wary of putting too much on Agudelo right now. OK, he's done well in his few games but so did Eddie Johnson and Jozy Altidore. I'd prefer if he was not called up for the Gold Cup so he can concentrate on his day job and learn the basics. He's 18 and played just 3-4 games for NY, he is not ready yet. Give him time, there is no need to rush him.

19. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the way he is deployed for the Redbulls could impede his development. From what I have seen, he plays on the last defender while Henry drops into the hole to receive the ball.

But he showed last night that he is capable of getting the ball, turning, and creating something with flair. There was a gap with Bradley/Jones/Edu sitting too deep but Agudelo had the soccer sense to find the ball.

20. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he does not go to the Gold Cup, then I assume he will be with the U-20's for the WYC or whatever it is called now.

The comparisons to Johnson/Findley/insert fast striker here are really unfair. He is a different kind of player. I would compare him more to Dempsey at this point.

21. scsc2000

scsc2000 Member

Jul 7, 2008
    His skills are much different from Eddie & Jozy, he can actually keep the ball for more than 3 seconds.

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Although Agudelo is still very ROUGH.... he brings something that no forward in the pool has. Confidence in his dribbling (anyone see that nutmeg cut between a back tracking/defending defenders legs?), holding which earned probably most of our fouls, and his ability to keep the ball to one side and guard with his body on the other.

His other skills will get better, but just based on what he does in what I said above, he is already 'different' and IMO better then all our strikers.

23. Prazan

Prazan New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Prague
    Good article on Red Bull's plans for bringing Agudelo along.

Interesting comments from Henry as well.

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2011/03/red-bulls-wary-crown-agudelo-star-just-yet

24. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. furby

furby Member

Mar 25, 2003
    I was fortunate to be able to attend the game in Nashville yesterday. A few thoughts after watching Juan Agudelo play in person:

His possession is very purposeful - he seems to think a step ahead and he is pretty decisive about whether to hold up play or push forward with speed. When he pushes forward with speed he has some dribbling trickery but he is very utilitarian about using it - he doesn't seem to put moves on to put moves on - he is deliberate about applying a move to open and use a piece of space. This is a sign of maturity in a young attacking player, IMO.

As might be expected for a young player, he could really benefit from adding some upper body strength. That being said, he uses his body well to shield the ball or hold position.

He does a good job of checking back for the ball and distributing the ball laterally from a checked back position.

His off the ball movement in attack need some attention and development. He is sometimes "hidden" behind defenders so he is not available for a pass. He hasn't really developed full awareness of how to make a run in order to move a defender and make space for another attacker. The timing of the off the ball runs he makes into an attacking
    position is not quite synchronized with the flow of attack - usually just a little early or late. Some or most of this could just be familiarity with the national team players and adjusting to the speed of the game at the international level.

Sadly, it wasn't really possible to evaluate his finishing acumen because he never got a real clear shot that I recall. This was more a product of the style of defense Paraguay played (aimed to disrupt the run of play and inhibit offensive flow), as the U.S. only produced a handful of quality chances in the run of play all night. The Paraguay defensive strategy does produce a significant number of set pieces, from which the U.S. rarely threatened, and Juan didn't really have any opportunities on set pieces. This is probably one area where adding some upper body strength would really help Juan Agudelo be more of a factor. (The U.S. generally just looks much less dangerous without Gooch and Demerit on set pieces. This is one area where Ream is less effective than other central defense options, but that is another topic)

In all, he appears at this stage to have the right mentality to continue to progress. Definitely one to watch.