Juan Agudelo/America's next soccer star theads merged [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by JBOBO, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    One. Step. At. A. Time. Didn't we learn anything after Freddy Adu?!

(That said, 2 goals in 4 caps is impressive, and even more impressive is scoring against the side he played against tonight. And an overall positive performance at his age...)

2. xsosx

xsosx Member

May 27, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the one that needs to take it one step at a time. He only has 3 caps. ;)

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Crap, you're right. Argh....

4. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like his movement, he makes good runs and has a knack for being in the right areas. Other than the goal, there were a couple of times where he got in between defenders and his shot was deflected or the pass to him was intercepted.

5. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo, thank you for making united states soccer alot more interesting

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo, please, PLEASE, P.L.E.A.S.E.....don't bolt for europe too soon. Stay here and develop. Learn everything you can from Thierry Henry. Stay here and play here....plenty of time for europe much much later.

Stay here in MLS.

7. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    2 goals and 1 PK won in 3 USMNT games.

So in all three national team games he played, he won 1 game and tie 2 games for the US. Is there a player in the US soccer history that has a better start?

8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is far from a Freddy Aud situation. We HAVE learned from the debacle with him.

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    One full season. 1-1/2 or 2 if the right offer doesn't come through.

Once he has a legit chance to start in Europe, it doesn't make any more sense to stay. But Henry is probably a good guy to watch and learn from.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    We, yes. I'm not sure Juan will understand, though, if the soccer press (what little there is, thankfully in this case) is calling him the next Pele, which they're unfortunately still kinda prone to do. If I were an 18 year-old and people were calling me Pele and asking when I'd sign with Barca, I'd probably let it get to my head, too.

11. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I would hope the soccer press has ALSO learned from the Freddy debacle.

12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18 > 14
    Agudelo > Adu
    I'm not worried about the hype machine starting up too soon for Agudelo.

13. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Bunbury & Agudelo reminds me of Colo & Yorke or Vialli & Mancini combo, but Today, Agudelo prove to have chemistry almost anyone with USNT & continues to have impact on goals. Hopefully, continues in MLS a couple years more, its great season.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I like Juan as the first sub off the bench. I dont think he can do that type of energy all game. Juan comes on when the defenders are tired and he causes havoc which is great for us. I think a pairing of Jozy and Dempsey up top would be the best to start, then bringing Agudelo on for a mid and putting Dempsey in the midfield.

15. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Juan's thoughts on how he played tonight:

He goes on to say that he would have liked to hold the ball more to take pressure off the defense.

16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I don't think we have to worry about him getting complacent or full of himself anytime soon.

17. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think my big worry, hopefully unfounded is that he finds himself in the Jozy position signed to a fairly prominent club and then can't find playing time and then loaned to teams where he can't really excel.

But this is pretty far off in the future.

18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo looked at times promising and at others overwhelmed out there against Argentina. I like the idea of continuing to use him as a sub, to get him more minutes without putting too much pressure on him to produce.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well that IS encouraging.

I'll echo the post above that's something I'm concerned about early. That he might attempt some $10 million transfer to some big club that has no intention of playing him for a while and loans him out to some rather "random" clubs.

But I don't have much read on what kind of a kid Agudelo is at this point, honestly. Hopefully one with his head on his shoulders.

20. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats probably the best route to take.

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

[​IMG]

He scored his in first cap, which also happened to be a WCQ. He then scored a hat-trick in his next game, also a WCQ. In his third WCQ he scored again. And then in his fourth, and one more in his sixth.

Eddie freakin' Johnson. How's that for a scary thought? :)

It's heartening to see that kind of an attitude because right about now it's going to get easy for Agudelo to get carried away with himself. I've also noticed that about Bobby Wood, who in any given interview can't stop talking about how much he sucked in his most recent match. If you say so...

22. JBOBO

JBOBO New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbelievable. This kid is special.

23. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agudelo, davies, and bunbury are studs.

They're so good, they could try out for "so you think you can dance" and not look stupid. The ultimate dual-sport athlete- suck it ochocinco!

24. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently we had a discussion about race take place in the wee, small hours of the morning (maybe we need some west coast mods in this forum). Anyway, I've deleted it, as it really didn't have anything to do with the thread topic.

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's the thing. I compare him to Jozy's situation. Jozy was very humble and said all the right things, too. I don't think it was a matter of him (Jozy) being too high on himself, but I think he left one year too early.

I'm hoping Juan has real good advisors and he listens to them. And having Thierry Henry there as a mentor has to help with the decision (should a decision have to be made in the near future.)