JPA weighs in on the Red Bulls

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by gyr0, Aug 27, 2007.

1. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    Source: http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk...24&siteid=50002-name_page.html#story_continue

Seems he is happy with the league, his lifestyle in NYC, but on the field is another story.

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Is this a sign he's here for the long haul?

3. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is a good quote.

and he has clearly forgotten about LA and RSL.

and it seems he hs a better idea of how well RBNY is playing - moreso than the coach

4. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    Red Bull has problems, but they hardly one of the poorest teams in the league. RSL and LAG have that area covered. I think Angel's probably equating mediocrity with "poor performance" because he's always played in leagues where it was easier for a few teams to load up on talent and charge up the table, whereas it's difficult for a team to distance itself from the pack here.

5. untitled77

untitled77 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I think he is talking more about the history of the team than this current season.

6. Bizz

Bizz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Needham, MA
    I would like to clone this guy, with American citizenship at birth, and populate our league and national team with his character, skills, and attitude. Class act who doesn't always make it look pretty to the uninitiated, but wows soccer fans.

7. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A question to ponder:

If he does stick it out for the long haul, where might he rank among the Greatest Metros?

#1? #2? #10?

8. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After his performance this season he has to be at least top 3.

9. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I think Juan Pablo Angel will stay here for a good long while. He's going to have to teach the new academy kids a thing or two next year when the club signs them to their first pro contracts.

10. Nutty

Nutty New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    NJ
    What are the details of his current contract? I do hope we can keep him around. Class act all the way.

11. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    I agree. While I'm not as down on the Reyna signing as many on this board, I've gotta say that the JPA signing is the best thing Arena's done. RBNY needs to do whatever it takes to make sure he's here for as long as he can kick a soccer ball. JPA plays hard, he's a class act, and... he can frickin' play!!!!

12. Chris '66

Chris '66 New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    My dream is to be sitting in Red Bull Park one day as Angel plays his testimonial game to a packed and appreciative house, thankful for his many years of hard work and the multiple Cup titles he brought us! Fast forward a few years more and we watch as he leads the team to more greatness as manager, continuing his legacy of excellence. When the new 40,000 seat RB Park opens in thirty years, Angel, as club Chairman, will preside over the gala occasion. By then his son will be team captain....:)

13. sakenu16

sakenu16 New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    I like the sound of that :)

But regarding Red Bull Park I doubt it might even be finished in 30 years. They keep driving the trucks back and forth over the dirt.

http://www.redbullpark.com/stadium_webcam.html

Geez does it really take this long to get a stadium these days? Citi Park is a bigger stadium and is already going up. I am beginning to think Red Bull Park is a nice dream that may never happen. Maybe we should chant in the stadium after a red bull win...."RED BULL PARK", "WE WANT RED BULL PARK" :rolleyes:

14. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they'll be ready to start foundations,plumbing,and electrical soon.

15. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

An inaccurate and overly eager snipe on the American media.

Angel relayed pretty much the same sentiments when Max Bretos interviewed him prior to the LA game on FSC.

17. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I think it's deathly accurate and, yes, I'll eagerly criticize the media here. I saw that Bretos segment with JPA and this interview was not such a fluff pice. The 'this team might be considered one of the poorest' snipe by JPA was definitely not on the Bretos interview. There are plenty of newspapers in this area, plenty of sites like bigapplesoccer, ESPN soccernet and even soccer by Ives. Not even in Soccer America has something like this been in print. Once again, it takes a newspaper from Birmingham England to print something like this.

18. mercury3164

mercury3164 Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Manhattan
    i couldn't care less what he thinks about our team so long as he keeps on scoring goals

19. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When reading this article, context is everything. This was an interview from the perspective of his old club, Aston Villa. It's sort of a "where is he now" piece about someone that was obviously a fan favorite. His quotes about the team need to be put into context as well. He's addressing the Aston Villa fans, trying to explain New York and it's position in MLS, with a simple sentence or two.

The article proves a few things to me:

1. He misses Aston Villa and the support of the fans.
    2. He's a very intelligent person, and very well spoken.
    3. He is enjoying his time here in MLS.

As I think we all agree here, Angel is certainly a class act, and I couldn't be happier that he's one of us.

20. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    oh, you wait 'til january.:D

21. Bizz

Bizz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Needham, MA
    It'll be 30 degrees....Fahrenheit....on a warm day.

22. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ
    If he finishes out the season at his current goal scoring rate. I'd say we put him at #1. Here is why. Since the team began we have only had 2 players eek past .500 When talking about games played vs. goals scored. In 2000 the players were
    Clint Mathis -29 games/ 16 goals and Alex Comas - 25 games/ 13 goals. Both just poked past the 50% mark. Angel currently has played 16 games and has scored 13 goals. That's scoring at an 80% rate. We in the NY area have never enjoyed a player who scored at this rate as other teams had. It is one thing we had been missing for a while. I can't wait to see what he can do with a full season.

23. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW! The days of BIG MAMA are soooooo long gone. ANgel is the coolest player in a NY uniform in... in... ever? Ages?

24. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

WTF? When did Big Mama enter this conversation?

So random.

25. Bizz

Bizz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Needham, MA
    I think Big Mama should be referenced as often as possible.