Jozy... Why not play like that all the time?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jackiesdad, Oct 15, 2009.

1. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    I think we all agree that Altidore had his most active game in a USMNT uniform. Although he didn't score, he was all over the pitch, stealing, passing, defending, looking great.

They say the difference between a good player and a great player is the ability to play at the highest level CONSISTANTLY. That's why Landon has been such an asset over the past 18 months or so: because he brings his "A" game every single time.

Now I know that Jozy is a young'n, and has a lot of learning to do. But wouldn't it be nice if one of his best friends DOESN"T have to get broken into a million pieces for him to play like his hair was on fire every time out?

2. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because he doesn't get a chance to play all the time? Or maybe because every game is different?

I rather play Jozy all the time than have Ching "Track back" or "soften the defense" to make up for his complete lack of skills. Jozy and Cooper are the closest we got to international centre forwards and they should be played more often. Look at Casey, big guy, definetly an upgrade from Ching, but where was he last night? Its hard to do anything when the defenders know you like the they know Jozy.

3. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    It would be nice, but I have an observation for you.

11/06/89.

In case anyone is wondering about that date, it's Jozy's birthday.

He's NINETEEN years old (almost 20).

Now I don't know how old you are, but as old as I am I remember when I was 19, and I was as clueless as they come.

OK, OK, I know the wags are going to come on here and say, "hey, KK, you're just as clueless today" -- but I'll risk that sort of derision to bring home my point.

He's young. VERY young.

I think it's rather remarkable, frankly, the he can play at this high a level at this age.

To be successful at soccer at the highest level you need a unique combination of experience, skill, and athleticism. And a level of soccer maturing it takes most players 3-5 years to get. It has to be 100% soccer 100% of the time, an obsessive focus that few young people have.

When Wayne Rooney was 19, a lot was written and said about him, but the one thing that Ferguson said that really stuck with me is this:

"He has an old head on his shoulders." Not an ugly head, a head you would confuse with Shrek...but an OLD head.

Jozy is GOING to be great, if everything works our for him -- right club, right playing time. He's a great kid and has the right attitude and it will come to him if the stars align.

But it's not going to come all it once, and it's going to come in fits and starts.

If I were you, I'd get used to it.

4. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes in life, you literally have events that define your persepective and focus...

Remember Landon Donovan in the 2006 world cup and his subsequent stints in Germany...

He pretty much stated that he was not focused or prepared to play well in either case and it showed... He found his focus and look what he has done in the last two years...

Hopefully, Charlie's tragedy will be the impetus for young Jozy to gain similar focus... He sure played like he found that focus last night...

The effort was mesmerizing... He looked like a giant Wayne Rooney out there... running all over the place with incessant effort... dribbling through tight double-teams with the confidence, technical ability and poise that made the defenders terrified...

It was the first glimpse I think we've seen of what a Altidore's real poetential can be in stout international competition.

...but you are right... one game is one game... Here's hoping Jozy can build from here with much more consistency...

5. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect to Chuck D., Jozy is our best striker and has been for the last year. With Charlie's absence Jozy will get most of the starts if not all the starts. It's just a matter of who to pair with him. I like the idea of getting a fast forward with him like Cunningham or Findley.

6. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Maybe his time at Hull has been a positive - He's going to have to run at people and put presure on people like he did last night to get a start..... oh... and finish...

Only thing that was missing last night was the finish, but everything else was top-notch. I like the little back-heel to LD in the second half.

7. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg with Jozy. I think he must be doing some serious conditioning lately, because I noticed the difference last night with him playing a full 90 and games in the past where he was sub out in the 2nd half. He did not seemed to be as winded last night as he appeared in games before. He was not exactly getting a lot of playing time at Villarreal so his conditioning showed it. Maybe the best thing he could have ever done was go to Hull. Give it time. I see great things coming from him. Jeezus I have to keep reminding myself he is only 19.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm a pretty big Jozy fan, but I really don't understand some of this post "it's hard to do anything when the defenders know you like they know Jozy?" What does that mean? Jozy is more of a known quantity to CR defenders than, say, LD or Ching or ?? Jozy is going to have trouble having a domestic career if the defenders "knowing him" will make it hard for him to do anything. He'll have to spend his career with a series of winter-break transfers to allow him to surprise defenders across the globe.

Again, i like Jozy. I prefer him ching. I like how hard he played last night. But he missed two fairly big gimmes that if, say, ching has missed, a whole lot of BS would jumping on his head. A top striker has to bury one of the 4 or 5 really decent looks that Jozy and Casey got (2 for JA, 3 for Casey, and the LD dummy is one you have to really put in more often than not.) but, of course, it happens that forwards don't score, despite doing everything else right (one of the most common defences of ching, btw) and CR's keeper was playing some serious good nets last night. It's good to see JA playing with that much confidence despite not being 1st choice at hull.

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    He's not supposed to play like that every game at his age. There's a reason why there isn't a single teenager who is a first choice starter in the Premiership right now (that may have changed since the last time I checked a few weeks ago, but I think it still holds true).

The encouraging thing is that there have been a decent number of games this year when you could say that Jozy looked more dominant than he has in any full national team game prior. Which means that while his play has not been consistent, his development has - and judging by last night his development is taking off right at the age you would hope it might.

10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll keep it simple...maturity and experience...

11. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Loved the play where the Tico defender got to a ball ahead of a quickly advancing Jozy. He had the time and opportunity to touch it away from him into space toward the touchline and then get off a clearance upfield with his second touch. But instead he chose to play it directly into touch for a throw in.

Jozy was fantastic. And after the little sideline chat with Bradley, he played well within himself to avoid that second yellow.

12. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen to Carlos Bocanegra on this topic: He needs to grow. He's done good things already, and, you know, he has the potential to do great things. He has a few good games, is on top of the world, and the next thing you know, he's dubbed savior of U.S. soccer. And then, you know, he has a few games and everybody's slaying him, killing him in the press, and his confidence just goes. That's a hard thing for a young guy.

We'd all be better-served, the fans and Jozy, if we didn't expect him to be Messi or CR9 overnight.

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    since it was the catastrophe that prompted his change, I would say the Jozy we saw against CR will fade over time as the emotions of the moment dwindle.

US players almost never play with the urgency you see from Europeans. There are any number of reasons, but I would say the biggest is the culture of competitive football in Europe.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the chief concern on this thread is Jozy's inconsistent effort. He should be able to control that.

15. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Of course, the OP never used the word "effort."

At the same time, effort doesn't necessarily translate into a great performance.

And lack of effort can also be a function of a lack of maturity and experience -- the numbing "I don't know what I am supposed to be doing" feeling...which in turn leads to a kind of paralysis of action, even though, deep down, they'd LOVE to be making a difference.

This happens in young people all the time-- they are at a loss about what to do so don't exert themselves, sometimes in the fear of doing the WRONG thing...and when the opportunity comes their way to do something that they know how to do, they are simply not mentally prepared to execute what they can do.

It's called "being young."

16. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    FWIW - yeah he had extra motivation - but how do we know it was only CD's injury that lit his fire? I can't comment on his play vs. Honduras, but from what I read, seemed like he put in a good effort.

BTW- he plays in that culture of competitive European football daily - there's not way that could have rubbed of on him - right?

Hard to say if this will fade or not, but if he wants to start at Hull and do well in the WC, then I think we'll see more of "focused" Jozy.

17. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree with you 100%

For all of our bitching and moaning about some of the players - Jozy is a teenager .... it takes some time to mature .... Jozy played with enormous intensity because of the emotion and because of his good friend. We need to simply give him a break. Look at how LD has matured over the last 7 years or so.

18. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    there you go. even landon hasn't been bringing his "A" game consistently until 12-18 months ago.

of course it would be nice if he wasn't extra motivated due to his friend's accident.

19. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is job of the coach to help the young player develop a sense of consistency and concentration. Phil Brown cannot make Jozy any bigger or faster or stronger but he can coach him and train him and counsel him in the right way. I think Jozy was pumped up on emotion and adrenaline. If anything this may remind Jozy of the precious nature of life and injuries and his profession and may cause him to focus his own development in a more intense way. Who knows. But one thing is for certain - difficult situations produce better players. Will have to see what happens to this teenager.

20. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LD has matured. A lot. It is called growing up and being a professional and starting to achieve your potential.

21. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter the reason, that is the kind of hustle that will get him signed with Hull or another Prem team permanently. He really threw himself around and caused their back line big problems. Hopefully, he will get to the point where he does that every game, even when not scoring. That's the best overall performance I can recall from him off the ball.

22. ADUEDUALTIDORE

ADUEDUALTIDORE New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Best post in thread...

"I realized that, and I realized that the hard way, by my friend not being able to play for five or six months. I'm going to try and make sure that from now on, when I step on the field I will play like its my last because you never know."
    Jozy Altidore

Sums it up for me.

23. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    right. so let jozy mature, grow up, be a professional, and start to achieve his potential. can't expect him to do all of that now.

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006

IIRC Jozy is playing in Europe. In fact, his experience at Hull may have as much or more to do with his play last night than Davies accident. His performance had premier league written all over it.

25. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    yea, i think we can assume that CD's accident helped motivate him. but we can't rule out that it was the only thing that helped him play better.